PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having problems with Gmail?

ldubbs2k2
26th June 2009, 09:42 AM
Help! For some reason gmail stopped working properly on my Macbook Pro. Both Firefox and Safari. I've tried rebooting, re-installing java, turning java off, then back on.... you name it.

It says I have limited internet connectivity, but I have IPTV +/- 28mb down, and 12mb up. Sometimes I can log into gmail, and sometimes I can actually click on an e-mail in my inbox, but then it freezes and says "still working....". I can't reply, delete or do anything. It then says switch to basic html, and that doesn't work either. I'm on a wireless router, and I also have a pc laptop connected and it works fine - no issue with gmail on IE on my PC.

As well, typing in text boxes is really slow, and scrolling web pages is slow as well.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the latest java update. Does anyone know if I can downgrade to a lower version of java? Or will that be a bad thing? thoughts?!?

Any help would be great....

Cheers

***Update***

I tried creating a new profile on my mac and logged in to see if the new profile would help with the problems. I launched Safari, logged on to Gmail, and it worked perfectly!.... for 1 min. Then the same problems started happening. So re-installing Safari on my regular profile won't fix the problem. It sounds like a java compatibility problem in Mac OSX. I think the latest version of Java was just released a few days ago, which could explain the inoperability with gmail.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I'm all ears!

jetsetkiwi
26th June 2009, 10:54 AM
Yes, and It has been on and off for the last couple of days, for me at least.

I think its a problem with the server.

melbmac
26th June 2009, 11:08 AM
I have a couple of accounts. One which mail checks for me, one which I log into manually.

The one mail checks bit the dust this morning and threw a password error, the one I log into manually through safari has not had a drama, yet.

mab
26th June 2009, 11:14 AM
Just a note: Gmail doesn't use java

ldubbs2k2
26th June 2009, 11:32 AM
Thanks. Must be a server problem then... or some kind of script issue that doesn't work properly with OSX.

cartz
26th June 2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks. Must be a server problem then... or some kind of script issue that doesn't work properly with OSX.

Not just OS X. My wife uses Gmail POP with Thunderbird on Win XP and last night and this morning it re-downloaded hundreds of old messages.

pwnT
26th June 2009, 12:44 PM
mine is working perfectly :)

ldubbs2k2
26th June 2009, 02:45 PM
The problem seems to be fixed.... for now.

Now if I could only fix the Aperture export to facebook plugin lol