PDA

View Full Version : Software to find geo-coordinates

Antonino Giglio
25th June 2009, 03:33 PM
Dear friends,

Is there someone able to do a software to find roads on Google Maps that are perfectly aligned North-South?

Or is there something around already?

mitty
25th June 2009, 03:36 PM
Never heard of such a thing.

And I have to ask... why? Is this some kind of thing like you'd see on Supernatural where you need to be driving at a particular speed at a particular time on a particular road in a particular direction to summon some demon or something?

dotnet
25th June 2009, 03:42 PM
Dear friends,

Is there someone able to do a software to find roads on Google Maps that are perfectly aligned North-South?

Or is there something around already?

Anyone with access to the Google Maps database could do that. The road grid in Maps is just a collection of vertices and edges, so all you have to do is find two or more adjacent vertices that have the same longitude.

I'm sure though that Google (or whoever they licensed it from) jealously guard their Maps database...

Cheers
Steffen.

Antonino Giglio
25th June 2009, 04:24 PM
Never heard of such a thing.

And I have to ask... why? Is this some kind of thing like you'd see on Supernatural where you need to be driving at a particular speed at a particular time on a particular road in a particular direction to summon some demon or something?

:D For Sthapatya Veda, the ancient Indian architecture, buildings has to be allingen north-south and I'm talking about true north and not the magnetic north. Thousands of years ago everyone was builing like that but the our knowledge got lost. You should Google Maharishi Sthapatya Veda and read about it if you are interested. :p
P.S.
As demon you mean the real ancient meaning of the world, don't you?

Antonino Giglio
25th June 2009, 04:25 PM
Anyone with access to the Google Maps database could do that. The road grid in Maps is just a collection of vertices and edges, so all you have to do is find two or more adjacent vertices that have the same longitude.

I'm sure though that Google (or whoever they licensed it from) jealously guard their Maps database...

Cheers
Steffen.

Oh, interesting point... therefore if no-one can access the map no-one can do such a sotware but Google?

saphylia
25th June 2009, 05:24 PM
Oh, interesting point... therefore if no-one can access the map no-one can do such a sotware but Google?

Well no, you could do a psudo-ocr job. That would be very time consuming and very bandwidth hungry however.

Antonino Giglio
28th June 2009, 06:37 PM
Well no, you could do a psudo-ocr job. That would be very time consuming and very bandwidth hungry however.

Unless Google is implementing it on their servers?