PDA

View Full Version : Convince me not to buy a PC!

timmytomtam
25th June 2009, 12:29 PM
Alrighty, so I'm thinking of buying a new laptop in the next few months. I'm after something with a bigger screen and better specs than the netbook that I'm using at the moment.

I'm a high school student with a part time job at maccas. Combine that with an iphone bill each month and a girlfriend and you see my dilemma - not alot of spare cash :p

So even if I save up some money for a little while, I will still most likely not be able to afford a shiny, sexy MacBook.

I know that PC's are big and ugly and heavy, but they are also cheap. I could get a PC that will suit my needs for around $1000 or less, whereas the cheapest refurb aluminum MacBook is something like $1700

So tell me - Is there really anything that bad about a windows laptop? (apart from the obvious "It's not a mac")

kevinnugent
25th June 2009, 12:32 PM
Nope. And for the money you have, I'd do the same.

Mac's are for people that can afford them....

mitty
25th June 2009, 12:35 PM
Dump the girlfriend and get a Mac instead.

Aaron
25th June 2009, 12:36 PM
Could always pick up a refurb white MacBook - wouldn't be more than $1300?

NeoRicen
25th June 2009, 12:36 PM
So tell me - Is there really anything that bad about a windows laptop? (apart from the obvious "It's not a mac")
Nope, although grab a Windows 7 Beta ASAP.

Macs are great, but if you really can't afford over $1000 and the PC meets your needs, no one would blame you for picking the PC.

timmytomtam
25th June 2009, 12:43 PM
Tempting.. but probably wouldn't go down too well :p

Could always pick up a refurb white MacBook - wouldn't be more than $1300?
hmm.. I forgot all about the white ones.. Could be a good option :)

Nope, although grab a Windows 7 Beta ASAP.

I've already got it :)
Needless to say, first thing I'd do would be to get rid of vista and install 7 ;)

ourfoz
25th June 2009, 12:43 PM

+1. Computers are cheaper to own than wives or girlfriends. You can play with computers whenever and however you want and they don't mind.

God I hope my wife doesn't see this :)

MrJesseRoss
25th June 2009, 01:11 PM
Stage a holdup at your work, split the cash, hey presto! A new Macbook!

(I don't condone these actions at all, btw. I take no responsibility for what you might do.)

reemixx
25th June 2009, 01:20 PM
If it was me, I'd go for a used Intel MacBook. You could pick one up quite cheaply on the boards here or elsewhere, and still have all the benefits of longevity, since it's still relatively future proof being able to run Snow Leopard (just possibly without OpenCL benefits, but hey, I won't get that on my iMac either).

Of course, it depends on how badly you want to run OS X, or how much Windows frustrates you, or whether you want to be able to play games. If you don't care about running a superior OS, then go ahead and get a PC and save your cash.

leon
25th June 2009, 01:22 PM
Pimp the girlfriend out for extra cash. Then get a 17" MBP and dump the GF as she''ll be damaged goods.

Randallg
25th June 2009, 01:23 PM
Think I've seen some refurbished white Macbook's at Apple for $1249. Considering the same when I bought mine new were about $2000 I think they're great value. But it all comes down to if you can afford it though.

Phillo
25th June 2009, 01:59 PM
I would go for the refurb white macbook.

Also remember that because you are a high school student.... either you or your parents maybe eligible for the education tax refund for purchases like computers.

Education Tax Refund (http://www.educationtaxrefund.gov.au/home/)

It may mean that the viability of buying the laptop is more palatable. That said... this refund will apply to a PC purchase as well.

TheKeddi
25th June 2009, 02:37 PM
I use a mac for my desktop and have just bought a windows laptop for around the house, it does me ok so far, it's got 4 gigs of ram so is running vista fine and being a bit more computer savvy than most home users, I know what not to do and what to do to keep the puter save from most nasties. I did buy it to put Ubuntu on but haven't bothered yet!

dekco
25th June 2009, 04:11 PM
my bro was in HS for the (08-09) financial year, does that mean that he can claim back something?

he is currently now at uni.

dotnet
25th June 2009, 04:31 PM
Computers are cheaper to own than wives or girlfriends. You can play with computers whenever and however you want and they don't mind.

Yes, but as TTT said, they won't go down on him... :D :D :D

Cheers
Steffen.

morgs
25th June 2009, 05:17 PM

I agree, the girl has to go unless she works to put in some cash to help.

tranp
28th June 2009, 09:25 AM
Yes, do it. It's surprising how much computer you can really get for sub $1000. Windows 7 is very solid and reliable. Don't be one of these 'OMG it has to be Apple or nothing' people.

Geoff3DMN
28th June 2009, 09:53 AM
Yes, but as TTT said, they won't go down on him... :D :D :D

The system will eventually go down if it's windows... :p

Phillo
28th June 2009, 11:37 PM
my bro was in HS for the (08-09) financial year, does that mean that he can claim back something?

he is currently now at uni.

Possibly. However its probably your parents who would claim it. (if he was a dependent.) You need to look at the ATO website to determine your eligibility or speak to a tax agent.

Abaddon
29th June 2009, 05:14 PM
I'm curious. Why are you limiting yourself to a 'windows' laptop? Thought of Linux at all?

ziggotron
29th June 2009, 06:16 PM
Why buy a bus when you just want a car? I guess he prefers an operating system he can actually work with?

dotnet
29th June 2009, 06:49 PM
I guess he prefers an operating system he can actually work with?

Come on, now, there is no need for insults :p

Cheers
Steffen.

TheWatchman
29th June 2009, 07:29 PM
Why buy a bus when you just want a car? I guess he prefers an operating system he can actually work with?

Nothing wrong with Linux at all.

ziggotron
29th June 2009, 07:32 PM
There's nothing wrong in any OS choice, but if it's not the thing you want and doesn't do the things you need it to do, then what's the point?

mitty
29th June 2009, 07:40 PM
You could always get yourself an MSI xSlim 320. from a distance it looks just like a macbook air, and if you're clever it'll run like one as well. And you can get it for $1000 now.

Abaddon
30th June 2009, 01:32 PM
There's nothing wrong in any OS choice, but if it's not the thing you want and doesn't do the things you need it to do, then what's the point?

Which was the point of my question. I was wondering why Windows over Linux, especially given the OPs stipulation that he was looking to save money.

(And BTW to head off any further arguments, I wasn't advocating Linux over Windows or vice versa, just wondering if he had considered it.).

dekco
30th June 2009, 02:07 PM
You could always get yourself an MSI xSlim 320. from a distance it looks just like a macbook air, and if you're clever it'll run like one as well. And you can get it for $1000 now.
now thats a good idea!!

Rant
30th June 2009, 03:22 PM
Keep saving, you'll be so disappointed with everything about a PC after you get over the fresh-buy thrill. JBs had something for $1295 the other day.

timmytomtam
30th June 2009, 03:35 PM
I'm curious. Why are you limiting yourself to a 'windows' laptop? Thought of Linux at all?
I'm not really considering the OS at the moment. I've got copies of XP, 7 and OSX86, so if I were to buy a PC, I would load up one of these on to it.

These things look pretty nice. I didn't even know they were available in Australia yet :p

Keep saving, you'll be so disappointed with everything about a PC after you get over the fresh-buy thrill. JBs had something for $1295 the other day.
Yeh, thats what I've been thinking.

At the moment I'm thinking that I should keep saving for a while and keep checking out the refurb store. At the moment theres white macbooks for $1250 and aluminum ones for $1500..

On the other hand, Catch of the Day has a Compaq Presario thingy for $749 today, which doesnt actually look too bad (despite being a cheap PC)
Catch Of The Day - One Deal, Everyday, Midday (http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/)

simonm
30th June 2009, 07:17 PM
Pimp the girlfriend out for extra cash. Then get a 17" MBP and dump the GF as she''ll be damaged goods.

:D:D:p:p

Seriously, look for a second hand recent model MacBook on eBay. You could find a good deal. If you do buy from eBay though make sure it's still within warranty (either the one-year standard or AppleCare extended)...

Carve
30th June 2009, 07:30 PM
cause sexy white macbooks are better than a brick of shit?

Rant
30th June 2009, 08:20 PM
Depends what you want to do with the thing. If you're only doing passive netbook stuff - email, minor word processing, watching videos (maybe), you might get by with a Windows machine, but frankly, they give me a headache just using them.

If you do creative, productive stuff

- iLife~iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iGarage, iWeb, QuickTime Pro (all kinds of video and audio editing/encoding, reliably), QuickLook, Spaces, Preview… do I really need to go on about the joy of Mac?
- no DLL and driver issues, no viruses, less complexity, less headaches,
- more productivity and generally a pleasant computing experience

- you know what to buy.