PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking classic macs

Danamania
20th June 2004, 05:47 PM
I thought it worth mentioning here (after seeing the recent front page news on overclocking MDD PowerMac G4s) that quite a few of the older macs can be overclocked - right back to some of the Mac II series.

http://homepage.mac.com/schrier/mhz.html is the site to get the info, it's a collection of techniques for overclocking just about anything. Varies from flipping dip switches, to resoldering SMT resistors & replacing clock generation chips & crystals.

I've done a few of mine - Q605s and a Q630 to be precise, and all's worked well.

enjoy!
dana

LCGuy
21st June 2004, 11:04 PM
As soon as i get the guts to do it, i'm going to do it to my 630. :D

eni
22nd June 2004, 01:20 AM
Really good site, thanks! I might just try this on my old 575 at some point... Maybe i'll get it fast enough to run pear pc and then run os x on it!!!! :D........that was a joke by the way :P Actually though...would that be possible? The source is available for pear...now THAT would be an interesting challenge.

Danamania
22nd June 2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by eni@Jun 22 2004, 01:20 AM
Really good site, thanks! I might just try this on my old 575 at some point... Maybe i'll get it fast enough to run pear pc and then run os x on it!!!! :D........that was a joke by the way :P Actually though...would that be possible? The source is available for pear...now THAT would be an interesting challenge.
I've thought of doing exactly the same thing :). It could indeed be possible

What's stopping me from trying is RAM and HD space. I'd need a quadra with enough RAM to handle linux and OSX to some level - 150mb should be JUST enough.. and a few GB of HD space. I don't have both at the moment :)

(then you'd need the 2 weeks for OSX to install :D

dana

Currawong
22nd June 2004, 08:23 AM
dana, I have a XLR8 604e 225Mhz card, and it has dip switches that appear to control the resistor panels that would otherwise require soldering to change the clock speed. Unfortunately, I can't find any info on what settings I need to use to get what speeds.

Maybe I'll just have to try all 128 combinations and see what works.

I wouldn't mind finding out how far I can go with a 7600 ;)

Byrd
22nd June 2004, 01:33 PM
604e CPUs don't overclock much Currawong, you'll be lucky if you get another 10 - 15% from it. Googled around to look for the manual, but couldn't find it either, even on Daystar's site.

68K overclocking is great fun, especially on later Quadras and LCs that you don't have to resolder a clock oscillator onto. If you follow some of the guides on there, when removing the resistors, use the finest soldering iron you have, and have a pair of tweezers on hand to pop one end off, then the other.

If you lose a resistor, don't worry - these are just 0K shorts, and can be replaced with a line from a conductive pen over the points in question.

Proud owner of a full '040 LC630 here - 33Mhz @ 40Mhz, DOS compatible card - once 486-SX33, now a 586-133 beast. It's my favourite 68K machine - and with IDE disk support, it's cheap to upgrade. Older high capacity SCSI hard disks are pretty rare nowadays.

JB

eni
22nd June 2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by danamania@Jun 22 2004, 05:56 AM
I've thought of doing exactly the same thing :). It could indeed be possible

What's stopping me from trying is RAM and HD space. I'd need a quadra with enough RAM to handle linux and OSX to some level - 150mb should be JUST enough.. and a few GB of HD space. I don't have both at the moment :)

(then you'd need the 2 weeks for OSX to install :D

dana
Or a load more HD space, massive virtual memory...........and another additional 14 weeks due to decreased speed cause of virtual memory and maybe a crash or two -_-

Seriously though, I doubt I'd be able to get enough RAM for it but I've got the HD ready to go so...hmm... Must stop thinking of these interesting but ultimately anti productive ventures.....