PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Network Printer

daOutlawz
21st June 2005, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, I have setup my printer to work through my router, with a print server.

All of my windows machines work fine, but when I tried setting it up on my PowerBook, it doesn't seem to work.

The problem I am having is not network related, more Mac related. When I select IP printing with LPD/LPR (or any others) I cannot select my printer (Canon i560), all I can select are the Generic Printers, and a few others that came with OSX. If I choose generic, it doesn't print at all, the printer initialises, but doesn't print.

But if I plug the printer directly into my PB, I can see it and print normally.

So, how can I get my printer to be in that list?

Mac Aid
21st June 2005, 07:58 PM
Try selecting windows printing

daOutlawz
21st June 2005, 09:53 PM
Windows printing only works if I have my other windows machines turned on. I can't see the printer when those windows based machines are turned off.

dangelovich
21st June 2005, 10:06 PM
It sounds like Windows Printing is relying on the Windows machines directory service which provides various network access bits and pieces. It's the same Windows service that allows you to browse the network (on the PC). This would explain why it is accessible when the Windows machines are on.

If your printer isn't appearing in IP printing, then the driver just doesn't support it.
I don't know that there's much you can do about it...

SRG
21st June 2005, 10:16 PM
I think it will relate back to your router and if it supports Mac for the print server.

I have a Minatar router and print server and have the same issue.

My workaround at the moment is I have plugged the printer into the print server in my Airport Express.

Is a hassle since I still need to use my router for the network and internet. So end up switching between them when I print.

I am using a Canon I70 and like you if I connect to the Airport Express or the Ibook direct the computer finds it and identifies it. However connect it to the Minatar and it does not show up as a Canon printer in the installed printers.

daOutlawz
21st June 2005, 11:22 PM
My router is a Draytek Vigor 2600V with printer server in built. Reading through the manual, it supports the Mac and has programs for it also, but going to their website, the FAQ only talks about windows and linux, not OSX..

This is really frustrating :|

There has to be a way around this problem..

daOutlawz
23rd June 2005, 03:57 PM
*bump*

any ideas anyone??

mac_man_luke
23rd June 2005, 04:01 PM
Install GIMP

and use a gimp driver

daOutlawz
23rd June 2005, 06:59 PM
Already went to the gimp drivers website, and my printer isn't listed :(

Unless the program comes with others?