PDA

View Full Version : software wont open after download

tanita
24th June 2009, 06:56 AM
i am a new and majorlly stressed out mac user. i have got a new mac os x and am trying to download software but getting nowhere. it all downloads ok but then a box comes up saying software contains an application do i want to continue, i hit yes it downloads i put it into applications but no programme i have will open up any of this software! they usually say file could not be opened format not recognised when i double click them in applications. i have tried so far to download Handbrake, supposedly compatible with mac, nope wont open, aimersoft, nope in dos format so cant be opened, i cant even open windows zip download, whats going on !! is this normal, have i got a broken mac im so confused and almost ready to through this thing out of the window this surely should not be so complicated. i have successfully downloaded VLC, Flipformac, Vuz, so somethings work while others dont, i undrstand that some of these must be in a file format compatible for windows but not mac but i thought it was possible to find ways around that any help would be greatly greatly appreciated before i give up and admit defeat. p s i have successfully downloaded a trial run of aimersoft and the software i tried to download was the dvd ripper part from a torrent via Vuz
tx

MissionMan
24th June 2009, 09:51 AM
What file formats are you trying to open? Are they .app or .dmg?

stewiesno1
24th June 2009, 10:33 AM
Are you sure the software you have downloaded is compatible with your operating system version ?

Stewie

cussles
24th June 2009, 10:53 AM
Firstly it must be Mac software, not Windows software. So if the file you start to download has .exe at the end - forget it that isn't for you (unless you have Windows loaded on your Intel-Mac).

Secondly the software must be compatible with the version of OS X that you have to start with. Handbrake is compatible with OS X.5, so OS X.4 or less won't work.

Finally, it seems that Handbrake is a program designed to crack the copyright protection on DVDs and Aimersoft is for creating DVDs (presumably from those cracked DVDs) and that downloading files from a Torrent is usually the practice of someone obtaining pirated/illegal copies of software. The pirated copy of Aimersoft was possible a Windows version. I guess you could pay the $US39 to Aimersoft and get a legal copy of the software.

EMKarelia
26th June 2009, 06:53 AM
You might of downloaded not the right format. Or you haven't saved it correctly.