PDA

View Full Version : Stock/Shares App

terrydavidphoto
23rd June 2009, 04:15 PM
Heya, Just looking for a freeware shares or stocks app. Something that will display the current price (share ticker maybe), and possibly somewhere for me to add in my shares/portfolio to keep track of.

Thanks a heap. Tex

Comet
23rd June 2009, 04:16 PM
Whats wrong with the built in one?

samuelowens
23rd June 2009, 04:17 PM
Whats wrong with the built in one?

In OSX (as distinct from the iPhone)?

Comet
23rd June 2009, 04:23 PM
Built in as in the one in OS X as a widget

terrydavidphoto
23rd June 2009, 04:31 PM
Hello Gents. Yes OS X app (not iPhone). I am not too much of a friend for widgets, also as far as I am aware the widget does allow you to track shares at a particular purchase price. Thanks again...

ajbeardy
23rd June 2009, 04:46 PM
If you you use Google docs you can set up a spreadsheet with all your Data and have it pull the stock prices (usually 20 minute delay for ASX stocks, I think live US stocks)..

Not that pretty but it is free and you can customise how you want it.

terrydavidphoto
23rd June 2009, 04:49 PM
If you you use Google docs you can set up a spreadsheet with all your Data and have it pull the stock prices (usually 20 minute delay for ASX stocks, I think live US stocks)..

Sounds good. Do you know which formula to use to pull stock data? Thank You

ajbeardy
23rd June 2009, 04:53 PM
I cannot access it from work, but have a look at this link.

Tracking your stock, mutualfund portfolio using Google Docs with historical prices | Pointy Haired Dilbert: Charting & Excel Tips - Chandoo.org (http://chandoo.org/wp/2008/09/12/track-stock-mf-portfolio-google-docs/)

terrydavidphoto
23rd June 2009, 05:04 PM
I cannot access it from work, but have a look at this link.

Awesome. Thanks again...

Flinders1231
23rd June 2009, 06:18 PM
Have a look at Stox & PowerTicker

bellenuit
23rd June 2009, 06:38 PM

If you don't want to set up your own spreadsheet, you could also just log in to Google Finance (you will need a Google account, which you would need for Google Docs anyway) and create your portfolio there. Its got all the info you need and can do the required calculations. You just supply your ticker symbol, purchase qty and price and it does the rest.

For Australian stocks, add the ticker .ax (e.g. BHP.AX)

ajbeardy
23rd June 2009, 07:01 PM
If you don't want to set up your own spreadsheet, you could also just log in to Google Finance (you will need a Google account, which you would need for Google Docs anyway) and create your portfolio there. Its got all the info you need and can do the required calculations. You just supply your ticker symbol, purchase qty and price and it does the rest.

For Australian stocks, add the ticker .ax (e.g. BHP.AX)

I never paid much attention to that facility in google finance but it is very good. Thanks for that. My spreadsheet is pretty detailed though and you can pull a bit more data.

bellenuit
23rd June 2009, 07:34 PM
I never paid much attention to that facility in google finance but it is very good. Thanks for that. My spreadsheet is pretty detailed though and you can pull a bit more data.

Actually it was not until I read your reply a few hours ago that I took a look at Google Finance and played around with its facilities. I already had a Google account for Gmail.

The only thing I find lacking is that it doesn't give prices on some preference shares, in particular BEPPA. It actually recognises the share if you do a Get Quote. It gives the correct description "BBI EPS" but no pricing data. If you add it to your portfolio, it will give the error message "Symbol Invalid or Unsupported" and ignore it. Yahoo Finance supports it no problem, as does the standard widget.

ajbeardy
23rd June 2009, 08:01 PM
Actually it was not until I read your reply a few hours ago that I took a look at Google Finance and played around with its facilities. I already had a Google account for Gmail.

The only thing I find lacking is that it doesn't give prices on some preference shares, in particular BEPPA. It actually recognises the share if you do a Get Quote. It gives the correct description "BBI EPS" but no pricing data. If you add it to your portfolio, it will give the error message "Symbol Invalid or Unsupported" and ignore it. Yahoo Finance supports it no problem, as does the standard widget.

Yep, i cannot get any prices on any ASX listed Hybrids. I tried ASX:BEPPA.AX and BEPPA.AX but no luck..

bellenuit
23rd June 2009, 09:43 PM
Yep, i cannot get any prices on any ASX listed Hybrids. I tried ASX:BEPPA.AX and BEPPA.AX but no luck..

I've been using Yahoo Finance for years to get quotes on stock prices. I've just looked at some of the other features and it allows you to set up portfolios for tracking just like Google Finance. The good news is that it will track preference shares (at least it will track BEPPA, I didn't try anything else).