PDA

View Full Version : Installing Classic on Tiger

MelbourneBen
23rd June 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi All,

I have a G3 Imac with Tiger installed. I'd also like to get OS 9 installed for classic support.

Is it possible to install OS 9 onto my install of Tiger?

Most of the instructions I've seen published on the net explain that you need to install OS 9 before installing Tiger, I'd like to avoid having to uninstall Tiger just to install 0S 9 if possible.

Any help would be appreciated before I buy a copy of OS 9.

Thanks

Ben

Alex Morrow
23rd June 2009, 02:02 PM
Silly question, probably, but are you sure it's not there already? I'm pretty sure that my retail Tiger DVD has Classic on it.

QuickSilver
23rd June 2009, 04:06 PM
It used to be that you needed to have Classic installed, right when OS X was new and the machines shipped with OS 9 installed. At some later time (probably Tiger) the hardware wouldn't boot from Classic and they shipped with a separate OS 9 install disk that would install onto an existing OS X install. So that is what you need. (It may well be that it is on the Tiger DVD, the separate disk is part of eMac CD installer set).

Can you still buy a copy of OS 9? Thought it would have been long gone as a retail item.

stewiesno1
23rd June 2009, 04:19 PM
Retail versions of OS9 crop up on ebay every now and again.

Stewie

~Coxy
23rd June 2009, 04:21 PM
If you have a valid System Folder somewhere you can just copy it between installs, it's a lot simpler than digging up original discs and all that.

MelbourneBen
24th June 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I will let you know how I go for future reference.

leon
24th June 2009, 07:58 PM
I would personally not recommend running the classic environment on a G3 iMac under Tiger as the machine will be too stressed.
How much RAM do you have?

It is much better to take the plunge and backup the machine, format it, install OS9.2.2 and then install Tiger. If you want to use OS9, then boot into it.

I have 2 iMac G3's, 500MHz (768MB RAM) and 600MHz (512MB RAM) and they both get really hot (smell like their burning) when I have tried to run classic.
Once in classic, everything runs like molasses and is quite unusable.
Booting into OS9 on the other hand is great - it really flies on these machines.

MelbourneBen
26th June 2009, 02:23 PM
I have 768MB of Ram on a G3 Imac 600mhz. I have managed to install the classic support files in tiger although I havent tried booting into os9 as yet. I wont be using it for data intense applications so it should be ok, but I'll see how it goes. :D