PDA

View Full Version : my mid 05 iBook now writes double r often

Daviddc
21st June 2009, 01:22 PM
but not in the title of this post, as perr typical of mechanical things,
started doing it about 2 weeks ago

it hasn't had anything spilt on it,
it has done faithful service mostly at home for some after hourrs work, forrum posts here and many in others, web browsing & emails, .... but hardly ever games

It's almost a year out of 3 yrs Applecare cover so prob not worth trrying to get any repair work done or replacing parts,
could it be that it just needs a vacuum over what might be a gunked up keyboard ??

any clues??

Brains
22nd June 2009, 01:22 AM
Sadly, when keys start to mis-fire -- either doubling as in your case, or missing the stroke entirely -- it usually means the microscopically-thin electrical contacts inside the mylar membrane of your keyboard are on their last legs, and there is very very little you can do to bring them back to life when they start to go like that.

Daviddc
22nd June 2009, 09:17 PM
Thanks Brains,
s'pose I could use the keyboard from the iMac via a USB port instead??
or even a Bluetooth keyboard if want to get all modern and fancy!,
the rest of the machine seems to work pretty well

Byrd
22nd June 2009, 10:02 PM
A USB keyboard will work fine, and you should be able to pick up a cheap replacement iBook keyboard cheaply as well.

I'd remove the key, clean out underneath, and "click" the key back on making sure the membrane "nipple" is situated perfectly underneath. I wouldn't put a single key failure down to faulty contacts just yet.

JB

Daviddc
23rd June 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks Byrd,

but please explain - how do I remove the key?

the caps lock key has been sliding to the right over the top of the A key forr some time, underneath it looks like it has a 2 wire attachment to the body of the keyboard,
I'm not game to put any force on pushing it further sideways or trying to pry it up to release it
and the R key seems attached just as well as all the others

mushroom
24th June 2009, 02:25 PM
You need to pry the key off, use your nail to pull it up from the bottom left corner.

Don't take it off too often either (make sure you clean it really well the first time), the keys are held on by tiny plastic clips that break fairly easily if you remove them too often or incorrectly.

I think it is worth a try, the worst that can happen is you'll end up using an external keyboard anyway. Buy some electrical contact cleaner or from an electronics store or isopropyl alcohol from the chemist and away you go.