PDA

View Full Version : File Copying question

ausdan
20th June 2009, 06:49 PM
I have a 6.75GB file on my laptop that I am trying to copy to an external hard drive. Every time I drag it across, I get a message saying "Sorry, the operation could not be complete because an unexpected error occured (Error Code 0)".

I have several files quite a bit larger than this that copy across perfectly.

I have tried"Get Info" and can see nothing here which would indicate the problem The file is "Read/Write". It is a .dmg file.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

ausdan

Lutze
20th June 2009, 07:04 PM
Are you able to copy any files at all to the drive?

tintinaujapon
20th June 2009, 08:29 PM
Is the external hard drive PC formatted?

There's something about PC formatting that doesn't allow files greater than 4gb. I run into this time and again when I'm trying to transfer Toast DVD image files.

Geoff3DMN
20th June 2009, 08:41 PM
There's something about PC formatting that doesn't allow files greater than 4gb

It's a limitation of the FAT32 file system which has a maximum partition size of 2TB and a maximum file size of (2^32)-1 bytes, or one byte less than a full 4GB.

*edit*

Actually I think the partition maximum is 1 byte less than 2TB (like the file size but I'm not sure what power of 2 that is) :confused:

remigi
20th June 2009, 08:42 PM
if the hdd is formatted as FAT32 then it will not work.. max file size is 4gb for a single file.. but if its OSx Journaled then it should work..

Just format it on a PC as NTFS and then get "paragons NTFS for MAC" software.. works a treat

ausdan
20th June 2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys. Re-formatted the drive and now works perfectly :)