PDA

View Full Version : PC Help

andytlr
20th June 2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Guys,
I've barely even touched a PC in the last 5 or so years and I'm really, really rusty. My dad's just bought himself a Asus Eee PC. I thought I might install Winblows 7 on it for him seeing as everyone seems to be saying it's pretty good.

I haven't actually seen it yet but I know it's a 10 inch model and it's currently running XP. So I imagine it'll run Win7 RC. Does anyone think otherwise? Is Win7 more or less of a memory hog than XP?

Can I just download Win7 RC straight to the Eee then run a exe file to update it or is it more complicated than that? I believe the Eee doesn't have a CD drive which might make it more complicated.

Can you update with the RC or does it have to be a clean install? What about drivers? I remember Windows being a world of pain in regards to drivers but I also read in Anthony's weak without Apple posts that it seemed to go without a hitch.

Any advice would be appreciated. Ta.

Edit: The Windows 7 site says you need to create a restore disc. Any idea how I would install it on a computer without a dvd/cd drive? Can you somehow make it boot off a USB drive?

Philly
20th June 2009, 07:53 PM
Didn't think anyone from mactalk would bother, buy him a refurb mac mini!

But otherwise:

1. This page has the specific requirements - Windows 7 Release Candidate Customer Preview Program (http://tinyurl.com/win7support)
I'd be suprised if it doesn't run win7.

2. You can download software which burns ISOs to virtual disks.
3. Updates are done similar to vista, through the OS.
4. If you dual-boot drivers should be okay..I'm not exactly sure.
I did a clean install over all other OS' and lost all my drivers. (Bummer)

Again, I believe you can open the ISO in a finder or something (see here - Is there a virtual drive program for MAC?? - Yahoo! Answers (http://tinyurl.com/lsumz3))

P.S Anthony is Weak without Apple! :p

Hope I helped, bye.

kyncaid
20th June 2009, 08:38 PM
It should infact run better than XP, but i would suggest installing from an external USB Optical drive.

andytlr
20th June 2009, 08:41 PM
My old man's in his 70's and learning a new OS is not something he would want to bother with. He has already bought the Eee, and did so without consultation.

So I can turn the ISO I download into a virtual disk on an external hard drive and install it from that?

Has anyone specificall installed Win7 on an Eee PC? How did you go with drivers?

Thanks

jetsetkiwi
20th June 2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, you can just mount the ISO, then copy the files to the external drive and boot from that. Or burn it to a DVD, either one.

It should run better than XP, but bare in mind, it is only RC, and it does have issues. For me, its not so much of an issue (gaming) but Id say it would have its problems with devices such as printers, cameras etc. Perhaps for ease it would just be better to have XP on it, but as for visuals and performance, 7 FTW.

andytlr
20th June 2009, 10:10 PM
Perhaps for ease it would just be better to have XP on it, but as for visuals and performance, 7 FTW.

Maybe I'll just leave XP on it, if it isn't going to necessarily work properly straight 'outta the box'. I just hate XP and wanted to give 7 a go, without getting it anywhere near my mac.