PDA

View Full Version : Ms Bluetooth Intellimouse Dongle

daOutlawz
20th June 2005, 01:12 PM
Hey guys, that dongle that comes with the MS Bluetooth Intellimouse compatible with the Apple BT keyboard?

What I mean is, can I hook up both the mouse and the keyboard to run off the one dongle?

-neon-
20th June 2005, 01:18 PM
Technically, if the ms dongle is being picked up by mac os as a standard bt device, yeah, that should be no probs :)

Have you been able to use any other bluetooth devices with it on your mac?

daOutlawz
20th June 2005, 01:25 PM
Nah, i don't have it yet.

I shouldn't have a problem with it on my mac, because I have a bt adapter built in, I was more asking for my PC. I should have made that more clear.

I am planning on buying the MS mouse only because it has the BT dongle which I need for the PC. At the same time, I wanted to use both the new mouse and my Apple BT keyboard on my PC aswell connecting via the MS BT dongle.

-neon-
20th June 2005, 01:33 PM
Hmmm, the windows side of things is a little different :)

The mac KB will work no worries, HOWEVER, heh heh, and here comes the fun part.

From what I know the ms dongle is pretty limited as to what it can do when you use it on a windows box (due to lacking support for certain profiles), now I don't see why it wouldn't work, as the mac KB is just a standard USB HID, and you would expect to be able to use a ms bt KB.... But hey, its Micro$oft we are talking about ere...

So basically, as long as the ms dongle supports a keyboard under windows, you will be safe. (failing that a cheapo $20 odd dollar dongle will work for sure)

daOutlawz
20th June 2005, 01:38 PM
Yeh, I was worried about that, but I have been doing a bit of research on google and found out that people are connecting lots of stuff via the MS BT dongle, so I don't see why I couldn't connect my lovely apple BT keyboard too.
Of course I probably would lose some of the function keys like volume and eject..And vice versa with the MS mouse on my mac...

gaehl
20th June 2005, 01:43 PM
IF you trying to use the mouse and keyboard with both the Mac and PC then your going to have problems as each device can only be paired with one "dongle" at a time.

-neon-
20th June 2005, 01:56 PM
Yeah, a lot of people have gotten around the limitations of the ms dongle, by using the Widcomm software.

Gaehl is right, you are going to have to pair the devices each time you want to use them, which would become a bit of a hassle...

I got kinda lucky, got an ibook with no bt and a little motorola dongle, pull it outa the mac, plug it into the xp box (sp2 with native bt support... lame as it is) and bam! KB and mouse just work... Of course its because the KB and mouse obviously remember the id of the dongle.....

bennettnz
20th June 2005, 03:00 PM
Honestly the dongle is fine but the mouse is crap. It has a kind of sleep mode which saves power when it hasn't been moved for a while this would be fine but to wake it up you have to click it - which depending on where the arrow was last left on your screen, can be very problematic. Also it ran through batteries like nothing on earth, I got really sick of replacing them. I kept the dongle but threw the mouse out into the back room. I now use the logitech MX laser which is very good and not bluetooth. It runs on a radio signal and has a rechargeable dock. I can't express enough how worthwhile it's been. Also the microsoft mouse didn't seem to be very programmable. However most mice with two buttons just seem to work with OSX fine anyway. Buy any dongle as I have no complaints with that idea but don't bother with the mouse.

daOutlawz
20th June 2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah i think I have changed my mind on the MS and might get a MX-1000..
Just wanting to know if the reciever is in the dock, or if its seperate?

For the pairing, i was actually going to use a KVM to switch between the two or just switch it off in the menu bar..

daOutlawz
20th June 2005, 06:23 PM
Yeah, just found out the answer, the charging dock and reciever are the same thing and have decided on the MX-1000..

my main concern was clutterness on my desk, but i thought to myself, if i got the MS mouse, i probably would need a battery recharger on the desk with the mouse, and it is going to be the same thing, except it will look better and be easier to charge with the mx-1000 dock...