PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook / Mac Mini Superdrive Issues.

CRC
20th June 2005, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

After getting nowhere with Apple confirming a problem on the SuperDrives used on Mac Minis and G4 PowerBooks, I am calling people to contact me regarding their experiences with Apple Superdrive.

I have personally tried 3 different types of 4x DVD-R rated media, and the Superdrive in both the Mac Mini and Powerbook will only detect the media as 2x. Apple are saying that this is normal behaviour, and that because Apple DVD-R media works correctly, that the drive is working as expected.

This is not acceptable, as a DVD-R should burn all discs at the rated speed, not only Apple branded media.

After exhausting all my options with Apple, I am looking at lodging an official complaint with ACCC regarding the false specs on these drives. Only having the drive write at correct speeds on Apple branded media is not an acceptable solution.

There is a thread with ~262 replies of other people suffering the same problem, however I am seeking people within Australia for my purposes.

Please note, I am *NOT* looking for people with iMacs or G5's, as these have different types of drives. The ones I am looking for are the Mac Mini and Powerbooks that use the MATSHITA UJ-835E drive.

Please post your experiences with Apple SuperDrives in this thread.

The Apple Forums that discuss this issue - http://discussions.apple.com/webx?13@720.9....0@.68a7ba65/54 (http://discussions.apple.com/webx?13@720.9NPHa3te69M.0@.68a7ba65/54)

pezza_mac
20th June 2005, 01:55 PM
Umm…
I have Mac mini with a superdrive.
I have been using Vetrex 8x media.
It has always let me burn at 4x!
I don't see a problem.

Works in Toast and Disk Utility and the like!

Try some 8x media and see if you have different results? 8x media shouldn't be much more expensive than others (I have almost finished a spindle of 100 Vetrex 8x media. $85 from Spectrade in Bayswater VIC.)

I do see your point about 4x media should work in a 4x drive. Well, my Pioneer DVR-106 had similar problems with SOME media labelled as 4x; some would only burn at 1x. So it is not just the drive in the mini.

I can't say the same for Powerbook/iBooks. I don't have much experience burning in them.

Also, the superdrive in the mini is a UJ-835F. Not a UJ-835E. Maybe that make s a difference?

This from my System profiler…

ATA Bus:

ST9808210A:

Capacity: 74.53 GB
Model: ST9808210A
Revision: 3.04
Serial Number: 3LG0KS16
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Protocol: ATA
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 74.41 GB
Available: 35.87 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s3
Mount Point: /

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-835F:

Capacity: 4.37 GB
Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-835F
Revision: GGN7
Serial Number:
Removable Media: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 1
OS9 Drivers: No
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

If it is truly that bad for you, I wish you luck in finding a solution!

Cheers.

CRC
22nd June 2005, 04:41 AM
Interesting. My Powerbook shows:

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-835E:

Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-835E
Revision: GAN7
Serial Number:
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0

Means the revision is different as well as the model. I wonder if that makes a difference.... I know in reality, all Apple need to do is release a more generic firmware... but it doesn't look like that is going to happen :|