PDA

View Full Version : reset secondhand computer

bushbabe
19th June 2009, 09:41 AM
Hi I am selling computer and would like the purchaser to have the machine think that it is new and set up the accounts etc .I have seen on this forum how to do it but have not been able to locate this information - could anyone help me out with instructions the computer in question is G3 iMac running 10.3.9

Huy
19th June 2009, 09:57 AM
Insert restore discs.
Clean install OS X.
Turn off machine after.

ClockWork
19th June 2009, 10:13 AM
Just reboot the G3 off your Mac OS 10.3 Installer Disc and Erase it's Hard Drive:

Insert the Mac OS 10.3 Installer Disc.
Restart your iMac G3 with only the C key on your keyboard held down.

It will boot off the Installer.

The first screen may ask you to choose your language - if I remember correctly - which is English, but then you can completely ignore that main Installer window and click on the top menu called: Utilities and scroll down to: Disk Utility.

In the Disk Utility window, on the left, click once on your Hard Drive's Name to highlight it.
On the right, click once on the Erase tab.

Under the Erase tab, keep the Volume Format as : Mac OS HFS Extended - or what ever it says there, change the Name to: untitled - and then click the Erase button. Click the next Erase button. It will wipe out your Hard Drive.

When it has done this, Quit Disk Utility and continue following the Installation instruction in the main Install Mac OS X window.

When it finishes installing Mac OS X, click the Restart button, and the moment your screen goes black, hold down your mouse clicker and keep it held down.

This will cause the Mac OS X Installer to Eject.

I can't recall how to cause it to Shutdown after that, yet a cheap and nasty way, would be to pull out its power cord...

When the new user turns it on, it will be completely clean and will waiting for them to type in their User Details.

bushbabe
19th June 2009, 10:36 AM
Don't want to do that as I have installed some other software and have updated the OS x to final update of it and only have 10.3.3 disk

Huy
19th June 2009, 10:43 AM
Set up a new user account.

I'd still go with the first option of doing a clean install. Especially when selling.

ClockWork
19th June 2009, 11:26 AM
You mean, set it to come up with the Intro Movie at Startup?

bushbabe
19th June 2009, 11:28 AM
Clockwork

in a word yes

Huy
19th June 2009, 11:31 AM
Wipe it clean and start with the restore discs. Then you'll have the intro video/Welcome to Panther and out of box experience, setting up user accounts, internet, etc...

This will remove your software and data (back this up).

You can put 10.3.9 Combo updater on a USB or CD.

ClockWork
19th June 2009, 11:37 AM
Open Macintosh HD. Open Applications folder. Open Utilities folder. Open Terminal. Type:

sudo mv /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone /private/var/db/.setupnotdone

Press return on keyboard.

Enter your Password... if there is a password, and press return key again.

Quit Terminal, and try this out.

ClockWork
19th June 2009, 11:47 AM
Note: They will be automatically given a New Account, as Huy has said, and in order to access all the neat-O stuff you've installed or configured in your way, they'd need to open Accounts in System Prefs, and delete that New Account.

bushbabe
19th June 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks for suggestions will give it a try