PDA

View Full Version : alternative Finder

Secoa
22nd January 2004, 07:25 AM
I hate to admit it but I find the "Finder" application diifcult to use. Maybe it has been years of using MS explorer that has conditioned my brain. But I simply do not find the finder easy to use.

Some of my gripes are:

~ No folder sidebar leading to navigation issues ie. in MS explorer you can move through the folders but to the right you can select different views sometimes I like to order the view by file size or modified date etc.

~ can't change the width of a column in column view

Note I am using 10.2.8 so I don't have the sidebar thingy in 10.3

Are there alternate mac versions ie. something similar to MS explorer?

I realise I may have committed some sin by admitting I prefer a Windows app but please do not misread me I love my Mac 10 times more than my PC.

Thanks

decryption
22nd January 2004, 10:20 AM
Cocoatech's Path Finder is a pretty mature app
http://www.cocoatech.com/

Here's a review of it: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4931&page=1

I'm not sure about there being a Windows Explorer-esque version of the finder, but if you wanted it that badly, there's always Konquerer or Nautilus whcih you can install via Fink...

Gothikon
26th January 2004, 06:04 PM
If you want to try something different there was an OpenGL finder replacement I saw on XYM IIRC several months ago. You could fly through your desktop, it was quite bizzare but looked cool.

By the way you can change the column widths in column view, there is a little thing that looks like a pause symbol at the bottom, you can drag this left and right.

The sidebar in panther would probably help you a bit, also there is a thing you can add to the tool bar in 10.2 and 10.3 which shows you a list of all the folders you went through to get to the one you are in, like the menu you used to get at the top of OS 9 open save dialogues.

Remember you can put aliases to whatever you want in the window toolbar to make navigating easier.

Secoa
27th January 2004, 05:44 AM
okay I have just updated to Panther and the finder is vastly improved. For one thing I can now select individual columns and widen them. Thus I can see the full name of each file or application. For now I will give the new finder a go and see if it works for me.

Thanks for the suggestions BTW

jameso
1st February 2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Jan 26 2004, 06:04 PM
If you want to try something different there was an OpenGL finder replacement I saw on XYM IIRC several months ago. You could fly through your desktop, it was quite bizzare but looked cool.
i would like to try something different. any more info? any links? i know google is my friend.....

jameso