PDA

View Full Version : Apple's SSD - worth the upgrade?

Phunky
19th June 2009, 08:16 AM
Hi guys, looking to pickup a new 2.8 MBP with my ADC discount and am pondering whether the 128gb SSD option is worth it? Its only an extra A$260 with the discount.
Whilst the consensus is that the Intel and OCZ Vertex drives are the best in the market, they are also the most expensive, and with the SATA cap at 1.5gb, is it money wasted?
You also get half the storage of the 128gb drive
So basically I am just looking for thoughts on whether you think the Apple SSD is worth getting both price and performance wise?

Many thanks

lazydesi
19th June 2009, 08:36 AM
even if it cost extra $260, at this time they are not worth enough (too costly for 128GB,you can't use full speed of the SSD due to 1.5Gbps limit)

Just wait for a year the prices will come down

mac_man_luke
19th June 2009, 09:06 AM
if you can get a 128GB SSD for $260 id go for it, an OCZ 128GB is $600+

NORMANDY
19th June 2009, 10:30 AM
Hi guys, looking to pickup a new 2.8 MBP with my ADC discount and am pondering whether the 128gb SSD option is worth it? Its only an extra A$260 with the discount.
Whilst the consensus is that the Intel and OCZ Vertex drives are the best in the market, they are also the most expensive, and with the SATA cap at 1.5gb, is it money wasted?
You also get half the storage of the 128gb drive
So basically I am just looking for thoughts on whether you think the Apple SSD is worth getting both price and performance wise?

Many thanks

Performance, no, price depends....

if you are using in a rugged environment, , i.e. like bouncing around in the back of truck and aircraft all the time, then yes, as it wont damage the hard drive, the speed of such drives and capacity is still low next to hard disk drives of the magnetic kind. So if you are not going to bounce around in a jumpy castle with it all day long, SSD's are not worth it right now for 90% of people who just have them on , sitting on a desk, stable all day.

Phunky
19th June 2009, 05:42 PM
Nah I'll just be using it on the couch really
Ive looked at all the other options including the Intels, OCZ, G.Skill, Patriot, and the price is still pretty steep
I think I will just get the 128gb ssd from apple for now since theres quite a large discount built in, and then upgrade down the track when the latest gen ssds come out later in the year
The technology is advancing so quickly, buying a top of the range ssd now would mean it will be replaced pretty quickly by another product anyway

For those interested
Corsair 128GB SSD in Macbook Pro - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=652103)
(The corsair is a rebadged samsung which is the one that comes with the mbp)

The effect of SATA-I on an Intel X25-M :o
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7286/xbench.jpg (http://img188.imageshack.us/i/xbench.jpg/)
Ouch.

St Cornelius
21st June 2009, 02:09 AM
I would go for it. Depends on what you really will use it for. Not overly necessary if your just going to perform common tasks.