PDA

View Full Version : Find My iPhone in action

kyncaid
18th June 2009, 06:02 PM
The Locating isn't as acurate as i'd like but the feature is still pretty cool. More pics here Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kyncaid/sets/72157619903072320/)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3322/3638218446_38cb433797_m.jpg

richbowen
18th June 2009, 06:04 PM
I'm giving it a week before we see a newspaper headline:

FIND MY IPHONE CATCHES CHEATING SPOUSE

... which is not a reflection on the OP or anyone on MTAU ;)

g4cube
20th June 2009, 11:43 AM
I tried to get it to find my phone it was a no go i didn't have 3G active but i did have wifi on and connected to my home network. I tried the send message and beep thing if it was lost that worked so i could at least hear where it was if i lost it inside somewhere but i could just ring it to get the same out come.

iCantwait
20th June 2009, 11:52 AM
I tried to get it to find my phone it was a no go i didn't have 3G active but i did have wifi on and connected to my home network. I tried the send message and beep thing if it was lost that worked so i could at least hear where it was if i lost it inside somewhere but i could just ring it to get the same out come.

not if on silent.
But if your ringer is down it wont pump out the loud noise :(

rocketxr
22nd June 2009, 07:18 PM
Is there any way to actually use this feature on the iPhone itself - to track another (my wifes) iPhone which is linked to the same account?

Tried logging on the MobileMe (http://www.me.com) but it just redirects and says to use the applications built in to the iPhone.

Note: This is not some "I think my wife is having an affair" type tracking - she actually travels quite a lot at night to different areas and it is nice to know she is going in the right direction and that she has arrived. :laugh:

tcn33
22nd June 2009, 07:58 PM
I don't think so, but try the Hey Where Are You (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320207938&mt=8) app instead. It does use push though, which is a battery killer and hence a deal breaker for some.

the_doctor
22nd June 2009, 09:48 PM
I successfully used this feature the other day. My phone was on silence somewhere in my house. I could hear it vibrating but could not locate the source. I then used Find my iPhone and made it beep and within a few seconds I located my missing phone. Definitely saved time.

Despite the fact that it doesn't pin point your phone exactly, it would be beneficial to know that your phone is located in the general vicinity of where you ate dinner (for example) and hence you would know that you left it in the restaurant. Hopefully a trust worthy person reads the message that you sent remotely and maybe you can arrange it's safe return.

Worst case scenario you can remotely wipe your phone. Hey you might not get it back but at least you know they won't get your info. Lock the IMEI with your network and then at least the bastard that steals it can't use it as a phone. This would be really cool if you could locate a thief using this technology. Big Brother is Watching!

richbowen
22nd June 2009, 11:48 PM
Now I've tried the feature ...

- very impressed with the ability to send a message and beeps to an iPhone in silent mode
- not so impressed that the location function only works if the iPhone has location services turned on ... I thought this feature had the ability to remotely turn on the location services???

mattmac
23rd June 2009, 12:01 AM
Seems kinda pointless from what I can see so far. It shows the location with the circle placed over a pretty large area. Would be a lot of door knocking to find who stole your iphone :p

canonafficionado
23rd June 2009, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the pics of how it works kyncaid. As they say, a pic really is worth a thousand words. :)

Sort of tempting to go down the mobileme path now - assuming they keep innovating with these types of ideas.

Ollie335
23rd June 2009, 09:24 AM
Seems kinda pointless from what I can see so far. It shows the location with the circle placed over a pretty large area. Would be a lot of door knocking to find who stole your iphone :p

The art of stalking is more fun then it looks

darksplat
23rd June 2009, 12:14 PM
Wrong date wait for it

mattmac
23rd June 2009, 12:17 PM

I take my comment back... did some testing outside this morning and it narrowed it right down to my backyard where the phone was sitting.