PDA

View Full Version : SuperDuper to Network Drive

kevinnugent
18th June 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi guys,

I have my new MBP that I'd like to backup to the Drobo over the wireless network at home.

With SuperDuper (registered) I can make a whole bootable backup on the Drobo - at the moment it's a 60gb sparse image file. No problem.

However there is a problem when I want to schedule a "Smart" backup - one that just updates the image file with changed or new files on the source HD. When I try and do that with SD I get to a point where the system is trying to mount the image - and sits there furiously working until I run out of patience about an hour later. I need to reboot the computer to stop the software.

I'm not sure it's an issue with SuperDuper per se as even if I try and mount that image file manually the system spins itself into a frozen state after a while. It appears to be more of a problem with mounting the network image file.

Am I making sense to anyone? Basically, if I start afresh each backup with a full new backup it's no drama.... but if I want to mount the existing backup file and add to it the system freezes up (after a lot of work and strain).

Does anyone know a solution? I have exhausted the limits of my googlific talents.

Kevin

El Guardo
18th June 2009, 04:55 PM
Have you contacted Shirt Pocket support? Or tweeted Dave Nanian (http://twitter.com/dnanian) directly? Note that he has just got back home from holidays and is about four days behind on support but working through things methodically.

kevinnugent
18th June 2009, 08:17 PM
I've decided tonight that I'll use an external drive, connected via firewire for backups on this machine. I'll use the Drobo for storage and itunes/iphoto depository. Backing up over the Network is a slow and tedious affair that doesn't seem mature enough to trust just yet.