PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard Up-to-Date: $14.95 AUD

tcn33
16th June 2009, 07:52 AM
Apple has updated their Mac OS X Up-to-Date Program page with the US and AU pricing for users upgrading to Snow Leopard who bought a Mac on or after June 8th. US users will pay $9.95, Australians $14.95.

US version:
Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. (http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/)

AU version:
Apple - Mac OS X - Update your new Mac with Mac OS X Snow Leopard. (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/uptodate/)

This bodes well for Australian pricing on the full upgrade for Leopard users - hopefully we'll see it for $49 or less.

SilverJ
16th June 2009, 09:07 AM
Excellent news. I hope they have the usual nice packaging etc for the $15 upgrade.

decryption
16th June 2009, 09:14 AM
Excellent news. I hope they have the usual nice packaging etc for the $15 upgrade.

The $15 up to date program has just been a CD in a paper sleeve chucked in a padded bag.

bartron
16th June 2009, 09:14 AM

If it's anything like the Tiger and Leopard up-to-date discs....nope. It'll be a CD in a sleeve.

edit: decryption you dastardly fiend.....beat me to the punch.

delux
16th June 2009, 09:26 AM
Great news, i only just updated on Sunday. Bit of a pain though as it means i will have to set it all up again come september.

thebookfreak58
16th June 2009, 09:55 AM
Since SL seems to be a "upgrade" from Leopard (ie. the impression we get is that you can't do a clean install without Leopard already installed).

Will their be any difference between the Up-to-date CD and the upgrade CD (US$29) bought from a store??

bartron
16th June 2009, 10:09 AM
Since SL seems to be a "upgrade" from Leopard (ie. the impression we get is that you can't do a clean install without Leopard already installed).

Will their be any difference between the Up-to-date disc and the upgrade disc (US$29) bought from a store??

Not on the disk (apart from the screen printing).

Only difference is the way you buy it. To get an Up-To-Date disc you need to punch in the serial of the Mac you want to install it on. If it qualifies as have being purchased within whatever time period prior to SL's release (a month I think....could be wrong) then you can buy it. Otherwise you need to spring for the retail version.

Lutze
16th June 2009, 10:45 AM
If it qualifies as have being purchased within whatever time period prior to SL's release (a month I think....could be wrong)

The qualifying period is from Tuesday last week until at least September. Every new Mac sold will be allowed to do this. If they did not then they risk people holding off until Snow Leopard is released.

From the US site posted earlier:

If you purchased a qualifying system or Xserve on or after June 8, 2009 that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $9.95.*

chrism238
16th June 2009, 10:53 AM
Great news, i only just updated on Sunday. Bit of a pain though as it means i will have to set it all up again come september.How is this considered a pain? SL is not released until September, and no-one's holding an upgrade gun to your head :confused:

delux
16th June 2009, 11:35 AM
How is this considered a pain? SL is not released until September, and no-one's holding an upgrade gun to your head :confused:

as if i am not going to uprgrade it :confused: its a pain cuz it means i have to set it all up again.

bartron
16th June 2009, 11:50 AM
The qualifying period is from Tuesday last week until at least September. Every new Mac sold will be allowed to do this. If they did not then they risk people holding off until Snow Leopard is released.

From the US site posted earlier:

I stand corrected.

Lutze
16th June 2009, 12:05 PM
as if i am not going to uprgrade it :confused: its a pain cuz it means i have to set it all up again.

Put disk in computer > Click on the Install Snow Leopard icon > Tell it what hard drive you want to install it on > Click Customize - remove parts you don't want > click install.

Wait 30 mins. Drink Beer. Result. Your desktop will remain as it is, files will stay where they were.

Using the term "set it all up again" is illogical.

ppops
16th June 2009, 12:05 PM
Nice! Just bought a Mac Mini. :)

delux
16th June 2009, 12:10 PM
Put disk in computer > Click on the Install Snow Leopard icon > Tell it what hard drive you want to install it on > Click Customize - remove parts you don't want > click install.

Wait 30 mins. Drink Beer. Result. Your desktop will remain as it is, files will stay where they were.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? i never knew it was that easy. sweet! thanks Lutze.
#note: i have never upgraded OS X before.

Angsty
16th June 2009, 12:26 PM
The purchase date of my MBA is 24 April, so will I have to fork out the money for a full retail version?

*ouch*

mac_man_luke
16th June 2009, 12:38 PM

with snow leopard with additional languages unticked its more like 10 minutes :eek:

Lutze
16th June 2009, 12:44 PM
The purchase date of my MBA is 24 April, so will I have to fork out the money for a full retail version?

*ouch*

Nope... as long as you have Leopard installed you will be able to purchase the Upgrade Version (confused?) The upgrade version is the one they talked about at the keynote - it costs $29 USD. The AU price has not been announced yet - we're expecting something around $50A

with snow leopard with additional languages unticked its more like 10 minutes :eek:

Ahh - I've only seen it done from a really cheap USB thumb drive - it took a while ;)

Phase
16th June 2009, 12:47 PM

*ouch*

All fifty whole dollars.

You'll live.

Angsty
16th June 2009, 04:26 PM
All fifty whole dollars.

You'll live.

*grins* Ok then :)

lazydesi
16th June 2009, 07:22 PM
what happens, if I purchase a Mac in US(US trip)?

Did that Mac is eligible for this offer in Australia?

leoleakey
17th June 2009, 01:14 AM
Mac OS X Snow Leopard refines the elegant Mac OS X user experience with lots of little touches and performance improvements that will make using your Mac even more enjoyable. It also includes a few big foundation technologies designed to tap the power of today’s computer hardware and provide a strong base for innovation. If you’ve purchased a qualifying computer or Xserve on or after June 8, 2009 that does not include Mac OS X Snow Leopard, you can upgrade to Mac OS X Snow Leopard for $14.95.*

This program ends December 26, 2009. Your completed order form must be postmarked or faxed within 90 days of the date of your purchase of a qualifying computer or Xserve (described in this offer) or by December 26, 2009, whichever is earlier.

Expected Product Availability: September 2009

Reubania
17th June 2009, 06:15 AM

Thanks. Never "upgraded" a Mac OS before. Just bought new machines with brand new spankin' OS loaded on. I will def be getting this if the price is the equivalent to the US $29 upgrade fee.

ciprol
17th June 2009, 09:05 AM
What's the upgrade DVD supplied? Is it HW specific or applicable to all HWs?

Lutze
17th June 2009, 09:53 AM
What's the upgrade DVD supplied? Is it HW specific or applicable to all HWs?

The disk is normally not hardware specific - it would be an arse to supply and send out.

what happens, if I purchase a Mac in US(US trip)?

Did that Mac is eligible for this offer in Australia?

As long as it has leopard you can buy the upgrade disk. They will almost certainly NOT be asking you "Cake or Death!?" (okay - I meant to say "leopard already installed, Prove it!!" They will just say "remember you need to have Leopard installed for this to work!"

ciprol
17th June 2009, 10:59 AM
The disk is normally not hardware specific - it would be an arse to supply and send out.

You beaut! :cool:

Lutze
17th June 2009, 11:49 AM
You beaut! :cool:

Just to qualify that so you all understand how I've come to this answer:

Drop in disks with a new purchase that did not get the new OS are not system specific - it will work on any hardware as long as the system it's upgrading has the required software. I've used the same Drop in Disk from my Macbook that came with my iMac.

The "upgrade" from Leopard will most likely be exactly the same disk as the $14 ones that you'll get in the "Up to Date" program.