PDA

View Full Version : iDVD - hardware acceleration?

RustySpanner
15th June 2009, 10:11 PM
Hey all,
I have a friend who produces a lot of DVD's for documenting her work, and is complaining about how slow it is to render/burn with iDVD. I'm looking in to a hardware upgrade, and want to provide the right advice. Currently she's using a Mac Mini C2D with crappy integrated graphics. I tried suggesting a different package, such as Toast, but she won't have a bar of it. She likes iDVD.

Does iDVD use the GPU? I imagine the menus would be composited using Core Video, which is GPU aware, but the MPEG compression may be done via CPU, I don't know. Will a mac with a decent GPU (ie. any current model) make a substantial improvement? Will an iMac with a good graphics card be better at iDVD than the NVidia chip that's in the MacBook/Mac Mini? Anything else that might be a bottleneck?
I'd research this myself but my current abode has über-fail TCP over Carrier Pigeon internet (Optus, capped).
Help plx peeps!

Cheers
Liam

~Coxy
16th June 2009, 10:54 AM
I'm pretty sure all rendering on iDVD is done with the CPU, and of course burning depends on the speed of the DVD drive anyway.

TigersharkBAS
17th June 2009, 01:16 AM
Wait...she'll buy a new Mac if it gives GPU acceleration to iDVD but won't entertain other packages on her current Mac that might improve stuff?

That is kinda....strange...no?

RustySpanner
18th June 2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, women eh? More interested in the result than the cost.

matthewk
18th June 2009, 01:32 PM
Does iDVD use the GPU? I imagine the menus would be composited using Core Video, which is GPU aware, but the MPEG compression may be done via CPU, I don't know. Will a mac with a decent GPU (ie. any current model) make a substantial improvement? Will an iMac with a good graphics card be better at iDVD than the NVidia chip that's in the MacBook/Mac Mini? Anything else that might be a bottleneck?
I'd research this myself but my current abode has über-fail TCP over Carrier Pigeon internet (Optus, capped).
Help plx peeps!

New aluminium MB/MBP's with the Nvidea GPU will likely get much faster with the release of Snow Leopard.

Arkhum_Eramak
18th June 2009, 01:50 PM
If you could still get DVDSP stand alone I'd recommend that, compressor and simple menu on a DVD in no time if you know what you're doing. If she has one of the Intel Integrated Graphics minis she could get a faster CPU and drop it in?