PDA

View Full Version : My brother is going to get the new Iphone 3GS ... should he add it under my Itunes ac

help1
15th June 2009, 04:21 AM
Hi guys.

Please help a couple of confused brothers.

I have an Iphone 3G which is attached to my Itunes account

My brother is going to get the Iphone 3GS.

When he plugs it into his computer ... can he add it under my account?

Or does he have to make a new account?

If he can add it under my account, then we will be able to share Apps or no?

We care about sharing GAMES :-)

Is this possible? And is there any Pros/Cons of 2 accounts versus 1 account if this is possible??

Please let me know. We are very confused!!!

ALSO, WE HAVE PERSONAL COMPUTERS (PCs) ... NO MACS. (does this make a difference?)

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS AND GIRLS!!

macrich
15th June 2009, 06:14 AM
The con would be that you would both share the same contacts, emails and music, if you choose to sync those.
Otherwise, I can't see any other cons to it.

BowieNIN
15th June 2009, 09:51 AM
Hi - No Cons at all - don't have to share same emails and contacts - just setup two groups in your address book - one for your brother and one for you - then just syc only that group - - you can both choose completly diferent setups for your phones - sync whatever differently from itunes - it's treats them as seperate ipods/phones etc...i do the same for my wife and i - best part is you only pay once for each app..

Have fun

mitty
15th June 2009, 09:55 AM
Or use Google Sync to sync contacts and calendars.

creation781
15th June 2009, 12:45 PM
Hi - No Cons at all - don't have to share same emails and contacts - just setup two groups in your address book - one for your brother and one for you - then just syc only that group - - you can both choose completly diferent setups for your phones - sync whatever differently from itunes - it's treats them as seperate ipods/phones etc...i do the same for my wife and i - best part is you only pay once for each app..

Have fun

2 groups in address books? d'u mean the address book in Ms Outlook?
and when u say "completely different setups for you phones", is it the setup in iTunes or in the iPhones?

forno
15th June 2009, 01:26 PM
Can I ask why you dont just get 2 iTunes accounts, how many $ in games have you got?.

I dont think the 5 devices is really intended for different people but rather different devices for the same the person

help1
16th June 2009, 02:42 AM
If we use two separate accounts then don't u need to copy things manually ?? And then the apps can't automatically update or something??

Also I have a question

I don't knwo iTunes that well. If we share one account and we both are at college away from each other ... Then does iTunes tie apps to the account or to one computer ... Like will we be able to share over the Internet . Will one of us just have to redownload the app that the other brother bought ?? Or is it even just updated automatically on both computers???

The_Hawk
16th June 2009, 09:09 AM
Let me see if I can explain this.

You have two seperate computers and two seperate iPhones, they will act entirely independantly and sync with each computer, so there is no issues with sharing contacts or anything else.

If you both log into the same account all costs will come out of that one account, be it iTunes cards to off a credit card. You just need to authorise both computers to use that account (so you will be using 2 of the 5 activations). It seems you only authorise computers, not devices, so you can each hook up your iPhone along with your 12 other iPods without issues :P

Anything one person buys will ONLY be downloaded to that ONE computer, but if the second person tries to buy the same item it will be downloaded for free (since the account already owns it). At least for games, not sure for movies and music.
In short there is no auto sync that makes both machines download everything.

What you should do is agree than anything you individually purchase you either email to each other or put aside in a folder to give the other person when you meet up (or mail a USB stick to each other once a month).

It will work, but then I don't know that it's the way it is supposed to work.

help1
16th June 2009, 10:30 AM
Thank you everyone for your help.

To the poster above me:

If we share one account... w/ one computer at my house and one computer at his house... do we still need to "e-mail, USB" files

... or can it be like this:

1.) I login to my iTunes account on computer
2.) I buy "Game1" and download to my computer
3.) I sync the game to my iPhone
4.) Brother logs into my same iTunes account but 100 miles away on his computer
5.) Brother searches for "Game1"
6.) Brother tries to download "Game1" (I assume it will say "You already own this would you want to re-download it again for free")
7.) Brother downloads Game1 for free to his computer 100 miles away (but same iTunes account as me)
8.) Brother syncs the game to his iPhone
9.) Both brothers have Game1?

(Everything done w/o a USB / e-mail)

Or are my steps not possible???

help1
19th June 2009, 10:52 AM
bump

jodihansen
19th June 2009, 01:09 PM
I am not going to touch the legalities of this....but....

I have 2 iPhones and 2 computers. The same iTunes account is used for both computers. The iPhones have different contacts since they sync to different computers & settings are way different. Anyway, I download applications on one computer, my main computer, then drag them across my network or use a portable harddrive to update the apps on the other computer roughly once per month. Do not just drag the applications into the same folder as the applications already on that computer. Instead, I import the applications via iTunes. I do this for applications that are not 'important' and have to be on the other iPhone immediately. If you were to drag them to the folder then you can end up with duplicates.
If I want an iPhone app on the second iPhone but don't want to transfer them all manually then I just search for the app in iTunes on that computer and, like you were asking, it allows you to download it again for free.
Application updates also work from both computers.

PM me if you need more info than that.

macrich
19th June 2009, 01:46 PM
Wouldn't this be conspiracy to commit fraud/theft?
If you both want an app, then you should both pay for it. It's the right thing to do. Just because there's a loophole, doesn't mean that it isn't illegal or unethical. Paying for it ensures that more apps are made.

I would highly suggest that you both get separate iTunes accounts and do the right thing.

The_Hawk
19th June 2009, 01:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your help.

To the poster above me:

If we share one account... w/ one computer at my house and one computer at his house... do we still need to "e-mail, USB" files

... or can it be like this:

1.) I login to my iTunes account on computer
2.) I buy "Game1" and download to my computer
3.) I sync the game to my iPhone
4.) Brother logs into my same iTunes account but 100 miles away on his computer
5.) Brother searches for "Game1"
6.) Brother tries to download "Game1" (I assume it will say "You already own this would you want to re-download it again for free")
7.) Brother downloads Game1 for free to his computer 100 miles away (but same iTunes account as me)
8.) Brother syncs the game to his iPhone
9.) Both brothers have Game1?

(Everything done w/o a USB / e-mail)

Or are my steps not possible???

Legalities aside, yes you can currently do exactly that, unless of course apple change the way things work. Remember there was talk of them charging for redownloading from the handset....

gehenna
19th June 2009, 01:58 PM
Wouldn't this be conspiracy to commit fraud/theft?
If you both want an app, then you should both pay for it. It's the right thing to do.

What if you own both the phones? Would you want to pay for an application twice?

macrich
19th June 2009, 02:03 PM
I guess that would depend on whether you were using both handsets. If they were both yours and you alone used them both, then no, you shouldn't have to pay for the same app twice.

What I'm talking about is if you and a friend, partner, brother, stranger decided you both wanted an app, then you should both pay for the app.

My fear is that if people do abuse the system, then Apple will clamp down on it, and it will become a nightmare for the rest of us who do the honest and right thing.

cmdwedge
19th June 2009, 02:06 PM
I guess that would depend on whether you were using both handsets. If they were both yours and you alone used them both, then no, you shouldn't have to pay for the same app twice.

What I'm talking about is if you and a friend, partner, brother, stranger decided you both wanted an app, then you should both pay for the app.

My fear is that if people do abuse the system, then Apple will clamp down on it, and it will become a nightmare for the rest of us who do the honest and right thing.

You make a good point. I will now go out any re-purchase any CDs that I have ripped to iTunes, that my wife also listens to on her iPhone. Thanks for making things clearer for me! Will iTunes let me rip the same CDs twice?

macrich
19th June 2009, 02:13 PM
Obviously if you want to be sarcastic about it, yes, legally you commit infringement of copyright if you copy music and give it away to other people. The same goes for DVD's. Why do you think that they put in copyright protection on DVD's? For fun? They even tried it with CD's at one stage (didn't go too well for Sony).
There's nothing stopping you from listening to a CD, LP, Tape, or watching a DVD, Video, 8mm at home with friends.

You of course can't charge any of them for coming over to see or listen, but that's the way the law is written. We're not talking about music here though, we're talking about Apps, more importantly we're talking about finding a way of getting an App for free for two Phones miles apart from each other.

Snow Leopard
19th June 2009, 02:14 PM
When he plugs it into his computer ... can he add it under my account?

yes.

The_Hawk
19th June 2009, 08:17 PM
I believe that fair use would extend to my wife and I, both whom live in the same house (funnily enough) both installing the same apps and using the same music/movies from the one iTunes account on our respective iPhones (and Apple TV for that matter).

I don't think they would be nearly as happy for brothers to be sharing apps the way the OP is asking. So while technically possible, it's not exactly kosher.

cmdwedge
19th June 2009, 09:06 PM
Obviously if you want to be sarcastic about it, yes, legally you commit infringement of copyright if you copy music and give it away to other people. The same goes for DVD's. Why do you think that they put in copyright protection on DVD's? For fun? They even tried it with CD's at one stage (didn't go too well for Sony).
There's nothing stopping you from listening to a CD, LP, Tape, or watching a DVD, Video, 8mm at home with friends.

You of course can't charge any of them for coming over to see or listen, but that's the way the law is written. We're not talking about music here though, we're talking about Apps, more importantly we're talking about finding a way of getting an App for free for two Phones miles apart from each other.

So.. my wife lives with me *gasp*, we use the same PC, and we use the same installation of iTunes. In a week, we will have two iPhones (her 3G, my 3G S). What do I do? You know, morally.

macrich
20th June 2009, 05:18 AM
As I said.....and if you took a close look at what I was saying. The OP was not talking about using the same PC, he/she is talking about using separate PCs living in different homes, with different locations and trading apps.

Think about it for a second. If you were an app developer, would you like to be paid for you troubles? Would you mind if people did what the OP was suggesting? I bet you wouldn't. You'd consider it theft!

I'm just saying, give this a thought before stealing apps by using a loophole.

Also my partner and I, who also live in the same house *gasp* have two iPhones, two different iTunes accounts and both pay for all apps on our iPhones, even if they are identical. Why you ask???? Cause it's the right thing to do.

But then we both have a problem with fraud and theft.

Devil rolla
7th July 2009, 10:47 AM
Glad I searched this subject.

My wife got my old 3g and I updated her contract to a 3gs. She has no idea about apps or how it all works, she just wants it to work.

So at the moment we both sync on the 1 machine, with 2 iPhones. When she wants something I research it on my phone, pay for it, and if it works I set it up on her phone and she's happy. ( friendsync for example )

sometimes I delete the app, even if I don't it's saved in iTunes.

Recently, when I go to download an app on my phone, the AppStore asks for the login then trys to download the app, with no success and tells me the app will be waiting for me on my home machine to download.

Basically I thing it sees 2 different phones on the same iTunes account, and now I can't get apps without downloading them at home.

All they need to do is patch iTunes not to sync apps for 2 different imei's and piracy is over.

Anyone else experience my situation ?

JLow
7th July 2009, 12:45 PM
What if, like me, you lost your 3G, and has bought the 3GS, and still intends to keep the same old iTunes account with the same old previously purchased apps, to use on the new 3GS?

ie, 1 owner, 1 account, 1 mac, theoretically 2 iPhones (with diff IMEI & serial)?

PS: the new 3GS hasnt arrived yet, so no experience to speak of / share yet :)

jodihansen
7th July 2009, 01:08 PM
Recently, when I go to download an app on my phone, the AppStore asks for the login then trys to download the app, with no success and tells me the app will be waiting for me on my home machine to download.

Basically I thing it sees 2 different phones on the same iTunes account, and now I can't get apps without downloading them at home.

All they need to do is patch iTunes not to sync apps for 2 different imei's and piracy is over.

Anyone else experience my situation ?

I am a developer and have multiple iPhones on the same account. I get the message above only sometimes. Could it be possible that either you cannot fit any more apps on your iPhone or the app is larger than 10MB in size? Have you tried it with a smaller app, ensuring that you have a spare space for the new app icon?

Devil rolla
8th July 2009, 02:36 PM
Tryed to download bump 180kb and evernote 1.9mb. Have over 8gb free. Just tryed to update spend, said nup. Tryed a test to download target practise 170kb. Nup. Now it won't get anything from the AppStore.

Devil rolla
9th July 2009, 09:16 AM
Put my wifes iPhone ona new account, and sync'd to the home machine and I can download apps again. 2 iPhones one cup = fail. They need seperate accounts.