PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Hardware Service - A Good News Story

Devski
18th June 2005, 01:59 PM
I'm always hearing about people getting screwed around with hardware service on this forum, so here is a little good news story:

Dropped my 17" PowerBook into Next Byte late on Tuesday because it was having some issues. As it turns out, the logic board was faulty and needed replacing. Got a call on Friday to come and pick it up. The new board was installed and everything is working fine.

I think a 72 hour turnaround on a logic board replacement is exceptional.

tommelbourne
18th June 2005, 02:07 PM
Great to hear! More of these stories, please, we are inundated with the stories of the few failures on Apple's part to provide good customer service but rarely hear of the huge numbers of people treated well by our favourite company!

mvjs
18th June 2005, 02:21 PM
Yeah, most stories about Next Byte on AppleTalk are negitive :( , but its good to hear a possitive one

purana
18th June 2005, 03:46 PM
Wow talk about lucky..

Dropped in my wifes 3 weeks old machine last Friday, not yesterday, last Friday evening. From Tuesday - Friday just gone, they have done nothing. Machine is still faulty and still awaiting fix.

As of yesterday I logged a case with apple at my whole disappointment of the machine having latch/closing issues after 3 weeks of use in our house (to find the first time I close it since opening it, it dont work as well as my 12 month old machine). They asked me to quote case to Tech and then have them forward on pics next week. So I emailed the manager of the centre today and will follow up Monday they actually send some pics to TAC and quote my case. I think a new machine aint out of the question.

Meanwhile just not overly happy about the whole experience. Tech reckons its hinge issue ie out of alignment, and if they actually compared the whole where the latch goes in to another machine they will notice the lack of play in the button shows that the latch has a very small spot to grab, compared to a good machine. Basically I keep saying its the button and the fact its always in a pushed position compared to a good working one.

Lets hope they do the pics on Monday and Technical Assistance Centre @ Apple review it quick smart. I dont think asking for a new machine is out of the question, especially since they will notice from pics it has no physical damage. So its an out of box fault, end of story.

Oh and this is my wifes first machine, so its not a great thing to do to a first time switcher. Especially since her old laptop never had a fault in the entire time she had it from new.

Would I recommend the service centre I am using? Umm not very likely, since they can't even communicate real details on delays for such repairs/warranty jobs, let alone listen to what I told them. Not likely to use them again, as they certainly didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Stay tuned on what happens over the next 4-5 business days.

lurka
18th June 2005, 05:32 PM
ok here goes with my 1.67 15" PB and its issues.

My first issue was the Hard drive, after 12 days it failed, i took it into the Apple Centre Adelaide, and got it back in 24 hours.

Then about 2 months after getting my PB the RAM was regestering as 512 when it should have been 1G, they ordered a replacement logic board put my RAM in the other slot and gave it back to me. They called me when it came in and 4 hours later i had my baby back in my hot little hands.

Then 2 days ago the "s" key popped off, i took it in tho the Apple Centre, they ordered me a replacement keyboard , the next day they called saying it was in and would take 20 mins to fit, sure enough i took my PB in and within the hour had it back.

:thumbup: to the APPLE CENTRE ADELAIDE and all their STAFF

jobe
18th June 2005, 09:03 PM
bavo to everyone who's had a good experience and condolences to those that haven't. But it would probably be best not to turn this into another apple service rant thread.

purana
23rd June 2005, 08:41 AM
Maybe I should create another thread and rant about the bad experiences... speaking of which still no confirmation the powerbook will even be ready this weekend. So that means it will have spent 2 weeks in the shop and only 3 weeks before this in my hands. Pretty poor effort.

I wont mention the service centre, but lets just say when its finally complete I wont be thanking them. I wont even return to use them for anything ever again.

yinyang
29th June 2005, 10:49 PM
well my PowerBook had to go in for a new Hard Drive - dropped it in to Infinite Systems on Friday morning and got a call on Tues morning that it was ready to be picked up - part had to be ordered from sydney so it took two and a bit working days, which i was very pleased about :)

however my PowerBook has 'developed' a little scratch on the front and the fit above the slot drive isn't all that perfect anymore, to which the technician did apologise (apparently these things are a PIA to put back together perfectly!), and the optical drive did decide to stop working for a while yesterday, but seems to have reset itself (with a loud clank after a longish sleep), so it looks fine so far.....!

i suppose also because i was warned that it could take upto 4-5 working days, i was very surprised with their call!!

also the nextbyte in the city did a pretty efficient job of replacing the optical drive for a G4 LCD iMac, though another week and it would have gone past the three year applecare date!!