PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomic alternative for Macbook Pro touchpad - Wacom Bamboo?

afton
14th June 2009, 10:45 PM
I love my 15" MBP, hence I'm using it very often, and for a long time.
I love to use it while I'm on the bed hence I'm using the touchpad and not an
external mouse.

My right thumb is starting to hurt lately because of this and I'm thinking of a more ergonomic device that I can use for an extended time.

What do you think of Wacom Bamboo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZixEkjgQA0) as a touchpad replacement?

tangent23
14th June 2009, 11:29 PM
my wife is having problems with her shoulder and arms and i have been looking at getting her a trackball.. specifically the older logitech trackman, i'd like to find the wireless version but no-one in australia seems to carry this older item..

the newer one is designed to be ambidextrous and doesn't seem as ergonomic to me, it requires the use of the index finger while the older one utilises the thumb..

my friend uses one and it seems great..

downsys
15th June 2009, 12:21 AM
I don't know how a Wacom tablet would improve your usage on the bed, but if you'd like to have a 'pen-like' input, there's this product:

Stylus makes MacBook trackpad work like pen tablet | Accessories | Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/article/137745/2008/12/pogosketch.html)

I believe Anthony has reviewed it here somewhere. Might not make too much of a difference but it might not hurt your thumb as much either.

Echo63
15th June 2009, 11:17 PM
Big fan of Wacom Tablets, and i prefer to use my Graphire 4 instead of a mouse at work, but i dont think it would improve your comfort using it in bed.
to be honest, i prefer the multitouch touchpad on my MB out of all the mouse type input devices i have used, except if im using Layers in Photoshop

iCantwait
16th June 2009, 12:51 AM
wait, you use your thumb for the track pad?
i can see you clicking with it,, but for general tracking?

afton
16th June 2009, 09:05 PM
wait, you use your thumb for the track pad?
i can see you clicking with it,, but for general tracking?

I use the thumb to click and the index finger to track. My wrist and thumb
is hurting after a prolonged period and I'm worried I will get RSI if
I don't do something soon.

iCantwait
19th June 2009, 03:16 AM
I use the thumb to click and the index finger to track. My wrist and thumb
is hurting after a prolonged period and I'm worried I will get RSI if
I don't do something soon.

have you tried just the tap to click option?
i only physically click for drag and drop