PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Dos And My Compaq Laptop!

applecollector
17th June 2005, 11:49 PM
Hey all!

I have a very old Compaq SLT 286 Laptop running DOS 3.3 and i would like to know what the MAX OS i can put on it!
Computer Specs are:

16Mhz 286
4 Meg Ram
Grayscale Screen with VGA out put
Internal 1.44Mb Floppy Drive
40 Mb HDD (Please see below!!!!!)
PS/2 out put!

It was made in 1989

I would also like know what sort of HDD is in this computer, the only reason i ask is because it could have the thin one or the normal computer Hardrive.
it's like 6cm's in thickness!

I read at some site that the Hardrive is 3.2" ???? for one i have no idea what size is that and number two i don't really trust that site because half of the specs were left blank!

If anyone has any information on this computer please write back!

PS: i do have one more issue with this computer, recently it internal battery didn't want to charge, But about 2 hours ago it managed to get it to charge by moving the battery a little, But my point is that it charged for about 2 hours and then stopped but when i went to turn on the computer it wouldn't turn on! well that is unless i take out the battery!
Currently i have it plugged up to the charger and the green light is on, But not the charger light!
If i were to take out the power plug from the computer then re-insert it, it would staart charging for a further 10-15 mins then stop again!
any ideas???

Thankyou i hope someone out their has come across a computer like this!
Thanks once again! :-)
Bye

Kildare
18th June 2005, 12:15 AM
Beats my Toshiba 386 Laptop :P

Not too sure on the HDD but I'd say the battery is stuffed.
Possible to get it reconditioned though.

"Normal" computer HDD's are 3.5" & considering the age it actually my be a proprietary drive.

applecollector
18th June 2005, 12:20 AM
cool then so how i should be able to Install like a 1.5gig one?
and upgrade my OS to like Windows 3.1 maybe with Dos 6.0?????

zbaron
18th June 2005, 12:41 AM
You should be able to go all the way up to MS-DOS 6.22 on that one, and Windows 3.1 will run with 4MB of RAM (not 3.11 though, it required a 386).

Byrd
18th June 2005, 09:24 AM
My fave DOS LUGGABLE is a Toshiba T3200SX - for some reason I ended up with two of them once - they're the massive behemoths with a 10" amber plasma screen :) It had 1MB RAM and a 40MB HD, and ran Windows 3.1 "standard" mode awfully.

applecollector, you should be right to fit DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 "standard" onto your 286 without too much difficulty with a 40MB HD. It should run OK too with your 4MB of once super expensive RAM installed :D

Adding a new HD to such a machine is a painful experience, because the machine won't autodetect the drive - you have to manually set the drive heads/platters/cylinders under the BIOS. But if you can find a 100 - 200MB 3.5" disk somewhere (check your local hard rubbish collections for an old 386 or 486 box) which lists these parameters on the drive's label, give it a go and install it.

I've come across a Powerbook 170 which will not boot when the (dead) battery is installed - so what you've experienced with your 286 is probably the same.

JB

applecollector
18th June 2005, 09:51 AM
ummm. i left it on charger all night but no change! :-(
i have the windows 3.1 install disks so that won't be a problem i also have a very very old 100mb Maxtor Hardrive! would that fit into it!
I have had it running on my XP at one stage! but the thing is that you can't set it to master etc.. because this hardrive has no place for thoes little plastic things!

applecollector
18th June 2005, 10:58 AM
Wait a sec if i were to install 6.2.2 Dos thenwould that delete my hole HDD???????

cmetom
18th June 2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by applecollector@Jun 18 2005, 09:51 AM
have a very very old 100mb Maxtor Hardrive! would that fit into it!
try it silly!! blimey....

:rolleyes:

seriously just have a go, otherwise you won't learn yourself.

as for DOS 6.22 install erasing your HDD, i can't remember if it does.. haven't installed DOS since 1998 or probably earlier.. there's a good chance it won't though.

applecollector
18th June 2005, 01:05 PM
very cool!
The only reason i asked was because i have a large program on the laptop which i would like to keep, even if i can install Dos 6.2.2 how can i network it to my Pentium M
laptop running Xp Home?