PDA

View Full Version : Help! Networking Dialup over direct network

hazyinseptember
12th June 2009, 09:33 AM
hey peoples,

im pulling my hair out here..

last tuesday telstra stupidly cut our phone line, which lost the synch on our new tpg adsl+ connection. While there is a inquiriy into what and why it happened we are without any internet access for up to 2 weeks :(

i have purchased dial up ( and the phone line has since been restored ) but im having real difficulty in networking the dialup connection

im using my old emac to dial up and share the network ( staying far away from using my router atm, im already having enough troubles ) over its airport card as a direct computer to computer network.

I have turned on internet sharing on my emac, on both airport and ethernet.

first issue is i cant seem to get my macbook to find the internet connection via even the ethernet. it just says it has a self assigned ip address and may not be able to connect to the internet. i have tried assigning an ip 10.0.0.1 but still no joy.

giving up on that i tried using the airport computer to computer network and the network assist wizard. it runs through and says everything is fine, but when i try to connect to the internet it says that the connection appear valid it was unable to establish a connection.

any ideas? its killing me as i need the internet for work :(

~Coxy
12th June 2009, 10:48 AM
Are you sure you're using Internet Sharing to share the dial-up connection over AirPort?

hazyinseptember
12th June 2009, 12:00 PM
positive, its ticked in the box and turned on.. there is a little arrow now in the airport icon in the control strip across the top.

but even if im not, why would it still not work when i hooked up the ethernet cable?

:(

~Coxy
12th June 2009, 04:14 PM
You're right, the client computer should definitely be getting an IP address from the server machine.