PDA

View Full Version : Which Is Tougher?, Ibook Or Powerbook?

dangrady1
17th June 2005, 01:06 PM
Hey there everyone, just wondering s the iBook tougher than the powerbook or is it the other way around.

User opinions would help alot.

Cheers
Dan

feeze
17th June 2005, 01:12 PM
I'll think you will find that the iBook is tougher as it is designed for and targeted towards education/home use (think School kids), whereas the Powerbook is designed for and targeted towards business. I'm not 100% sure though.

iSlayer
17th June 2005, 01:15 PM
i agree.
i trust my sisters ibook over my powerbook.

Kildare
17th June 2005, 01:28 PM
I'd say the iBook could take a bit more punishment although I doubt the Powerbook would be design to be extremely fragile.

Anyone up for the sledgehammer test? :P

downsys
17th June 2005, 01:31 PM
hmm. yeah. i guess coz of the plastic. i've dropped my ibook from bed several times. ouch. but it's still working as good as it was the time i got it. (maybe even better? coz my passion only grows stronger)

i trust the powerbook will be the same, except that it will have permanent dents because of the aluminium casing, as i've some friends with dents.

macmate
17th June 2005, 01:38 PM
i would say ibook too but i actually find that i have 8 ibooks piled up around me to get fixed and only 1 powerbook.

OziMac
17th June 2005, 02:16 PM
No question - as far as build quality goes, iBooks are sturdier.

As macmate noted though, that doesn't necessarily mean the insides are more stable - though he may have more iBooks imply because people feel more free to be tougher on them than the fragile Powerbooks ;)

On-Site-Tec
17th June 2005, 02:35 PM
iBooks wont break as easy as PowerBook's, but they sure do scratch like anything. A friend of mine got one a week ago and i recently just went back there to help them with something on it. It was already showing signs of wear. Where as my PowerBook, which i have had for about 8 months now has no scuff marks on it and i use it very regually in and out of bags all day.

So in short, iBook not very scratch resistant, but very tough, PowerBook is very scratch resistant but not qiute sa tough in my opinion.

Matt.

OziMac
17th June 2005, 03:19 PM
I don't know On-Site - I reckon you've been pretty lucky. Each time I've dropped the ball and gladhandled a Powerbook in some way, I've been left with an unsightly scratch.

Maybe it doesn't scuff as easily as the iBook, but get it near an unfriendly edge or surface, and it scratches as easily as anything else. :(

iluvmymactoo
17th June 2005, 03:32 PM
We have an iBook and a PowerBook.

No doubt about it the iBook is certainly the tougher of the two. My previous PowerBook dented like soft butter so I'm real careful with my new PowerBook :)

mvjs
17th June 2005, 03:46 PM
I don't really know what you mean by Tough, faster/more powerful or more durable.

I've relised what you mean now, by reading the replies, but you should explain the topic better next time :)

OziMac
17th June 2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks michael, but I think most of us got what he meant without need for any clarification - you wouldn't usually refer to processor performance as 'tough', and in any event, comparing the processing power of contemporary iBooks and Powerbooks is always going to result in a verdict favouring the Powerbook. :)

Kildare
17th June 2005, 05:49 PM
I don't think Tough = Better performance or the like.

If an iBook & a Powerbook had a fight who would win? :P

dangrady1
17th June 2005, 05:57 PM
I did mean Duribility as most others caught on to what i was saying

Byrd
17th June 2005, 06:31 PM
The clamshell iBook is the toughest by far, and my parent's Wallstreet Powerbook with it's steel cover surrounding the screen ain't half bad either :)

Of the current generation, Powerbooks look more fragile, but in real use feel just as sturdy as an iBook.

JB

SRG
17th June 2005, 08:28 PM
I would say Ibook also.

even Apple at the website concede the Ibook was designed to be tough, the plastic is the same as used in Bullet Proof glass (clearly I recommend you don't put your dirty hands on Bullet proof glass given how quick the Ibook gets dirty).

I think this reflects the fact as noted that they expect the Ibook to be used on the go a lot more by Students etc.