PDA

View Full Version : Can 1st gen Unibook Macbook go 8GB with snow leopard?

kurisu
11th June 2009, 02:36 PM
Just wonder why the current Unibody Macbook can't go 8GB but the new Macbook (Pro:confused:) can, is it due to software (32-bit leopard) or hardware?

lazydesi
11th June 2009, 02:44 PM
leopard is 64 bit

so it is not due to software, may be due to hardware limitations

NeoRicen
11th June 2009, 04:09 PM
Hardware it seems.

Beau
11th June 2009, 10:12 PM
Or EFI Firmware. ;-)

kurisu
11th June 2009, 10:37 PM
Or EFI Firmware. ;-)

If this is the case, then a software upgrade would allow 1st unibody macbook to have use 8GB in snow leopard?

samuelowens
11th June 2009, 11:28 PM
Not until Apple re-writes the EFI firmware.

To put it into perspective, after 3.25 years, I'm waiting for Apple to re-write the EFI firmware on my Core Duo MBP to allow it to take the 3.3GB the chipset is capable of, rather than the 2GB it actually takes. I suspect I'll still be waiting the day my MBP dies.

In other words, 6GB is the max...

Huy
11th June 2009, 11:51 PM
I agree with samuel here. It's not going to happen.

They want you to upgrade.

You wouldn't want to go to 6 or 8GB anyway, unless $$$ is no concern to you.

~Coxy
12th June 2009, 10:58 AM
It's probably software or firmware, because some people have tried 8GB of RAM under Linux or Windows and it works OK. The chances of an update are quite slim, sorry.

lazydesi
14th June 2009, 05:00 AM
Nvidia dropped by today to demo some of the awesome things that the GeForce 9400M in the new MacBooks can do that Intel's integrated graphics just can't touch, and to discuss a few technical points. Besides confirming that you'll see it in other notebooks soon, they definitively answered some lingering questions about the chip's capabilities: It can support up to 8GB of RAM. It can do on-the-fly GPU switching. And it can work together with the MacBook Pro's discrete 9600M GT. But it doesn't do any of those things. Yet.

Since the hardware is capable of all of these things, it means that they can all be enabled by a software/firmware/driver update. Whether or not that happens is entirely up to Apple. While you can argue that Hybrid SLI—using both GPUs at once—has a limited, balls-to-the-wall utility, being able to switch between the integrated 9400M and discrete 9600M GT on the fly without logging out would obviously be enormously easier than the current setup, and allow for some more creative automatic energy preferences—discrete when plugged in, integrated on battery. Hell, you can do it in Windows on some machines.