PDA

View Full Version : iMovie help...

Quamen
18th June 2004, 11:24 PM
ok so I just recorded some Tv with my PCTV card and transfered it over to my laptop. But it seems that iMovie doesn't support the mpeg2 format I recorded it in.

Which is a huge bummer. So I was just wondering. What formats does it support? So that next time I record something. I can actually play with it.

Also does anyone know any software. PC or mac, that I could use to change the format of my currently recordrd mpeg2 file so that I can play around with it in iMovie?

Febs
18th June 2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Jun 18 2004, 11:24 PM
Also does anyone know any software. PC or mac, that I could use to change the format of my currently recordrd mpeg2 file so that I can play around with it in iMovie?
Quicktime Pro will do it. :)

AFAIK, to be recognised by iMovie it has to be raw DV format (ie: the format it comes off your camera), and must be the correct size and resolution.

I once converted a small 320x240 clip to raw DV, resized it (720x576 for PAL if I'm not mistaken), then imported it into iMovie no worries (all using QT Pro).

Cheers,
- Febs.

Quamen
19th June 2004, 07:32 AM
God dammit what a jip. I don't wanna go pay for quicktime pro.

I guess I will just set the PCTV to record in DV format. I had a look, it can record in most formats. I might go have a loook on the net for some freeware PC app that will convert it to DV. Or I could do a double record. haha, move the file to another computer with TV out, play it out into the composite input and then record it again as DV. Hmmm I think that would be too much fucking around though.

estoyloco
19th June 2004, 09:01 AM
limewire..

sorry accidently posted in the wrong post! :D

Quamen
19th June 2004, 12:07 PM
I found what I needed. Just checking if the program works. It's doing a conversion now. Very easy to use, just drop the mpeg file onto the icon and it starts going. Nice.

DropDV (http://www.dropdv.com)

hawker
22nd June 2004, 01:13 PM
If the mpeg opened up in quicktime, why not just save as .mov and put it in iMovie? Might take a bit extra to import, but it will import ;)

Quamen
22nd June 2004, 06:25 PM
quicktime won't open the file.