PDA

View Full Version : Which Mac Compatible Pda?

On-Site-Tec
17th June 2005, 11:34 AM
Hi, im in the market for a PDA to book appointments when im out and about and keep price lists and other promotional information etc i may need to give customers either over the phone or face to face.

It needs to be Mac compatible, preferrably with Apple's 'Address Book' and 'iCal'. Also to be able to Sync to and from both of those via Bluetooth if possible. Needs to be able to read MS Office documents (*.doc and *.xls mainly) and PDF files. Id also like to be able to make graphical notes. Like sketches etc. Im sure they all do that though.

Just a quick rundown of what i want again....

1. Compatible with Tiger
2. Bluetooth for Syncing.
3. Compatability for PDF, XLS and DOC files.
4. Able so Sync with iCal and AddressBook if possible.
5. Decent battery screen and expandable memory if possible also.
6. Reasonable price. Around the $400-$500 mark if possible.

Sorry I have never owned a PDA before, and ive been looking around and cant get any info on what ones Sync with what nor be able to get accurate prices.

Thanks in advance :)
Matt.

dangelovich
17th June 2005, 11:48 AM
I think you're somewhat limited to a Palm...
For out of the box support anyway... and even then I believe it depends on what version of Palm OS it runs.

I'd have a look at the Palm E2
http://www.palmone.com/au/products/handhelds/tungsten-e2/

Nice screen, bluetooth, memory is expandable,
Has Documents-To-Go (opens Word, Excel)...
Overall a neat unit.

OziMac
17th June 2005, 11:57 AM
I disagree - I have a Pocket PC that does all of those things (though I think your price is a wee bit optimistic).

All I had to do was spend an extra few bucks to get PocketMac (http://www.pocketmac.com) and I've got syncing with Address Book, iCal, iPhoto, iTunes, Mail or Entourage and can read PDFs, Word and Excel docs - via BlueTooth or USB.

Works terrifically well - although I prefer the Palm OS, the Pocket PC fits my needs a whole lot better at the moment.

dangelovich
17th June 2005, 12:05 PM
Since I'm not overly familiar with PocketMac (and similar software), is there anything the PocketPC's can't do when they're used with a mac?

OziMac
17th June 2005, 12:11 PM
Well - installing additional .exe programs on Pocket PC is a little bit of a hassle through PocketMac - there is a feature to do it, but it's not perfect. So you're limited in the kinds of programs you can install on it through the Mac, but as far as syncing your data goes, it's pretty good.

simonusq
17th June 2005, 12:35 PM
Hello,
I also just bought an ibook (OSx10.4) and was going sell my HP iPAC 4700 series PDA because I didn't think it was compatible. But it seems that with Pocketmac and other software such as "the missing sync" it can be done. Basically, I want to syn my PDA with my new ibook - i.e. all the stuff in Microsoft Outlook with Entourage. This is possible with the above programs, correct? All of my mail and addresses stored on my PC notebook and PDA should be able to be transferred via the PDA using the above software I have been told, but I just want to triple make sure. Can anyone help?
Thanks so much guys!

hawker
17th June 2005, 12:39 PM
Pay a bit more and get:

http://www.palmone.com/au/products/handhelds/tungsten-t5/

It's RRP is $599, but I have seen it for as low as $549.

Alessiman
17th June 2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jun 17 2005, 12:11 PM
Well - installing additional .exe programs on Pocket PC is a little bit of a hassle through PocketMac - there is a feature to do it, but it's not perfect. So you're limited in the kinds of programs you can install on it through the Mac, but as far as syncing your data goes, it's pretty good.
PocketMac is the biggest pile of excrement I have ever laid eyes on.

It is the 1st and last time I buy a piece of software sight unseen. There are major issues with syncing with Tiger and the current builds

simonusq
17th June 2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Alessiman@Jun 17 2005, 12:57 PM
PocketMac is the biggest pile of excrement I have ever laid eyes on.

It is the 1st and last time I buy a piece of software sight unseen. There are major issues with syncing with Tiger and the current builds
What is your opinion of "The missing Sync"? Do toher people in this forum agree on Pocketmac? I'm not taking sides - i have no idea, just would love to get as much feedback as possible.
Thanks again. :huh:

limpboy
17th June 2005, 01:14 PM
You can pick up cheap PDA's on eBay. I picked up my current Palm Tungsten T on eBay for about $200 (granted it was about year and half ago)

It is obviously cheaper to get second-hand used equipment but new units are sold on eBay as well. Just have a look at ratings and read the feedback. I also look to see that the seller has sold this type of products before just for extra protection.

Alessiman
17th June 2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by simonusq@Jun 17 2005, 01:02 PM
What is your opinion of "The missing Sync"? Do toher people in this forum agree on Pocketmac? I'm not taking sides - i have no idea, just would love to get as much feedback as possible.
Thanks again. :huh:
Seems like if your pre Tiger your ok but if it then your own your own

The tech support is next to useless. There was a known paypal problem that was not passed onto tech support. They give generic answers to specfic questions. I am going to stop now before I blow a fuse

Check the feedback on versiontracker about pocketmac and you'll see I am not alone.

On-Site-Tec
17th June 2005, 01:30 PM
Ok im quite impressed with the Tungsten-T5

But does it actually sync with iCal and Address Book? they are very important to me. Or does it come with other mac software that it will sync with, i dont mind switching, so long as the software is half decent.

Also am i able to make notes on it without tapping on the on-screen keyboard, like sketch etc on it?

Thanks.
Matt.

OziMac
17th June 2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I agree Alessiman, PocketMac definitely has its flaws. But it does the basic stuff well enough if you need to use a Pocket PC.

On-Site - the Palm will mesh better with OS X, but it also isn't perfect. You should definitely get whichever suits your needs best - for most purposes, I think the Palm wins. If you are compelled to use Winblows a lot of the time though, the Pocket PC does have its advantages too.

Alessiman
17th June 2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jun 17 2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I agree Alessiman, PocketMac definitely has its flaws. But it does the basic stuff well enough if you need to use a Pocket PC.

On-Site - the Palm will mesh better with OS X, but it also isn't perfect. You should definitely get whichever suits your needs best - for most purposes, I think the Palm wins. If you are compelled to use Winblows a lot of the time though, the Pocket PC does have its advantages too.
But having said all that. The wince device is a dream

O2 XDAIIs

Fantastic unit and worth every penny. I am not sure I can go back to a Palm after my 1st experience with the Clie's at Sony

aswitcher
17th June 2005, 02:29 PM
I have Tungsten T2. Since Tiger I cant sync and their webpage says they are still working on the issue. I know that I could pay good money for the excellent missing sync software for Palm which would fix my woes as that works - but I figure I should have to oay for a 3rd party product to do this...

So Palm or Pocket PC, you are likely to have sync issues with Tiger...

On-Site-Tec
17th June 2005, 02:32 PM
Ok, well it looks like i will go the Palm way.

Can anyone compile a list of sync software that will work with the Tungsten T5?

I may have a look at it in the shops this weekend and have a fiddle. Anyone know where the best place is to buy one?

step_andy
17th June 2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Jun 17 2005, 12:39 PM
Pay a bit more and get:

http://www.palmone.com/au/products/handhelds/tungsten-t5/

It's RRP is $599, but I have seen it for as low as $549.
Office works is advertising T5 for $499 and there is also $50 cash back via redemption from Palm if purchased by June 30. This would bring the price down to $449.
Search on line for best price as cash back isn't tied to Officeworks. Saw one online for $479.

Good luck

OziMac
17th June 2005, 02:37 PM
I agree - part of the reason I erred on the side of Pocket PC was because of the XDA - I didn't get one as impressive as the IIs, but until Palm or Apple pull a punch, I find them the most attractive and functional PDA/phones available. :)

On-Site-Tec
17th June 2005, 06:33 PM
Id like it before June 30, running it a bit fine if i order it online. May not get it just before. Oh well.

Its not a lot less, plus its a tax-deductable expense. So no big deal.

I should be going to Office Works tonight to have a fiddle and might walk out with it :D PAYING of course hehehe.

Matt.

gene
17th June 2005, 08:25 PM
hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting the XDA O2 mini and was wondering what programs besides PocketMac would let me sync iTunes and other apps to it?

regards,

gene

Alessiman
17th June 2005, 08:55 PM
The Missing Sync

Which is something I plan to buy as soon as Tiger support is fixed.

Though I have 2 PC's here so nothing major

The O2 mini is a seriously good PDA though. Well worth buying

icant
17th June 2005, 11:56 PM
Hi all,

I have Tiger. I did an Archive and Install, then had to manually remove the Palm applications/background processes from the login items. Then downloaded a fresh copy of Palm Desktop 4.x (latest). Installed that, and I can sync with a Tungsten T3. I use Tiger’s built in iSync, and Address Book/iCal. Also Stickybrain, and SplashWallet. It “works”.

I stopped having the need of using Documents to Go many months ago, and haven’t used it for a while. When I used it (I think ver7), I had quite a few Palm-based crashes. The program was frequently updated, but I was still glad to stop using it. The syncing bit was quite impressive though.

I’m not impressed with a couple of things WRT Palm and Mac OS X.

1. I suspect there won’t be any more updates to Palm Desktop. My brother uses the new Treo 650, and it still works with the current ver of Palm Desktop. The last I heard, the PalmOne company line was that they were going to point their users to Missing Sync (3rd party) when compatibility breaks.

2. iSync 2 doesn’t work all that well when synchronising. A few examples: if a single contact has multiple addresses in Address Book, only the first of those addresses gets sent to the Palm. And birthdays don’t sync. And the dysfunction of categories on Palm vs Mac… frustrating.

So, the Palm “works” with the Mac oh yea. It Hotsyncs without error. Dig deeper, and find flaws.

In fact, Missing Sync has a Pocket PC version as well (I haven’t tried). If/when Apple’s OS updates breaks Palm Desktop, and we are forced to use Missing Sync, then both Pocket PC and Palm would (on paper), have the similar hotsyncing compatibility on the Mac.

On-Site-Tec
18th June 2005, 12:02 AM
Perhaps you can help me then 'icant' :P

I just bought my Palm T5 and i cant get any Sync action happening :(

I think ive tried everything, Anything special ya have to do?

Matt.

Soap
18th June 2005, 11:05 PM
why did you buy a mac?simonusq, you seem hell bent on using windows applications. What is it with people who think that they can bring all their windows junk apps onto a mac and expect all to sail smoothly. This is where need & want get wires crossed.

simonusq
18th June 2005, 11:23 PM
Jesus, soap - I was only asking if it is possible to sync - why did I buy a mac? Because I was sick of my pc application freezing and my computer crashing, and I like the look of the mac. Does that answer your question. With your attitude, you shouldn't be on this forum man.....chill! :angry:

OziMac
18th June 2005, 11:35 PM
Take it easy Soap - just because we choose to use Macs as our personal desktops, doesn't mean we should be restricted in finding ways to integrate them with Windows on our work or PDA machines.

Soap
19th June 2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jun 18 2005, 11:35 PM
Take it easy Soap - just because we choose to use Macs as our personal desktops, doesn't mean we should be restricted in finding ways to integrate them with Windows on our work or PDA machines.
You see ozimac, simon says it all...he liked the 'look' of the mac. Thats why he got all narcy when someone questiioned his mac seachange. Its not about using a computer in a certain way its about trying to make things change to suit his needs. Rather than evaluating ones needs then making a decision about which way to go based on what is available and how well it will perform. his money will make the computer industry very happy. That i am glad to see. The economy need consumers to keep the jobs rolling along.
My PDA works fine with my mac apps my syncing thats because i keep it mac.

smithster
19th June 2005, 05:12 AM
Been there done that! Ipaq 1940 worked fairly seamlessly with panther using missing sync on an ibook 12" BUT missing sync wanted more money for the Tiger fix, loaded pocketmac and have had a few drama's with lockups but overall the features you need will work.
I use either bluetooth or the usb connection. USB charges as well so that is my method when loading up and charging fresh daily data (such as smh on avantgo) to take to work.

Best thing about pocketmac is I now have an apple logo on pocketPC!

Confuses and amazes friends!

Currawong
19th June 2005, 12:23 PM
I've got a Tungsten E, and it took a bit of fiddling to get sync'ing happening right. First, install the iSync Palm module (from vague memory, you might have to download it) into the Palm Conduits. Then, remove the Palm software conduits for Calendar and addressbook, as even if you disable them in the software, they tend to re-enable themselves randomly and then the iSync conduit will stop working until you disable them again.

In iSync, you then have a menu option appear for turning on Palm Syncing. Select this. Then, in the Hotsync Manager, open up the Conduit Manager and the iSync Conduit. Turn everything on as required. Syncing will then work.

Annoying thing for me: iCal categories aren't synced and any appointment created on the Palm ends up in an Untitled category in iCal.