PDA

View Full Version : Base Model 13" MBP

mrshibby
11th June 2009, 08:39 AM
Hi,

Just wanting some advice with regards to the base model 13" MBP for $1899. I just wondered if it's worth me upgrading the hard drive from 160gb to 250gb for the extra $80? I'm not really planning on storing anything on it but I don't want to be caught out at a later date. Do you reckon the 160gb is enough? or should I get Apple to stick the extra 90gb in there at time of purchase?

Cheers for the advice :)

lazydesi
11th June 2009, 08:44 AM
160Gb is big enough, anytime you can buy External HDD, if you want more storage

If I am you, I will stick it to 160Gb and will update to SSD in a year time

iJohn
11th June 2009, 09:15 AM
Really depends what you going to be using it for and what your going to store on it?

Worst case scenario buy the base model and if see your using it too quick, get a external hd. External Hd are getting cheaper and bigger by the week.

JimWOz
11th June 2009, 09:17 AM
Currently,
You can buy a 250G bare 5400 RPM drive for $80-90.
You can buy a 500G bare 5400 RPM drive for $140-150. - faster because of data density.
You can buy a 320G bare 7200 RPM drive for $120-130. - faster because of higher RPM.

An external USB2 case can be bought for $30-40, firewire is more expensive.

I would not spend the extra now, upgrade in 12 months time and then use the 160G in an external case as a backup drive. Swapping the drives is not difficult.

mrshibby
11th June 2009, 09:18 AM
Really depends what you going to be using it for and what your going to store on it?

Worst case scenario buy the base model and if see your using it too quick, get a external hd. External Hd are getting cheaper and bigger by the week.

Yeah this is what I was thinking. I already have a 1tb external drive as I also have an iMac and it stores all my movies and TV shows.

It would just be nice if I were going anywhere to load the MBP up with videos and not worry about an external drive, or I could just stop being lazy and carry a small external!

iJohn
11th June 2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah this is what I was thinking. I already have a 1tb external drive as I also have an iMac and it stores all my movies and TV shows.

It would just be nice if I were going anywhere to load the MBP up with videos and not worry about an external drive, or I could just stop being lazy and carry a small external!

Na that's a fair call then maybe consider going for the bigger hd or you could double it and for the 320gig if you have the spare $$

mrshibby
11th June 2009, 10:12 AM
Currently,
You can buy a 250G bare 5400 RPM drive for $80-90.
You can buy a 500G bare 5400 RPM drive for $140-150. - faster because of data density.
You can buy a 320G bare 7200 RPM drive for $120-130. - faster because of higher RPM.

An external USB2 case can be bought for $30-40, firewire is more expensive.

I would not spend the extra now, upgrade in 12 months time and then use the 160G in an external case as a backup drive. Swapping the drives is not difficult.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I was also thinking about just dealing with it until I think I need more space then upgrading it myself, it looks kinda easy to do myself...

icant
11th June 2009, 10:17 AM
IMHO, the advantages to buying a stock model > advantages of getting BTO. Since you are getting a computer “off the shelf”, and if you need service/exchange, there are lots of identical computers all Apple’s warehouses to replace your computer with. With BTO your machine is tailored nicely for you…*in China.

You need to spare some $ for backups anyway e.g. with an external HD.

mrshibby
11th June 2009, 10:25 AM
IMHO, the advantages to buying a stock model > advantages of getting BTO. Since you are getting a computer “off the shelf”, and if you need service/exchange, there are lots of identical computers all Apple’s warehouses to replace your computer with. With BTO your machine is tailored nicely for you…*in China.

You need to spare some $ for backups anyway e.g. with an external HD.

Yeah good point, plus I have to wait 3 days extra for BTO! :(

Dante Kyar
11th June 2009, 11:24 AM
I'd get the 160G

And carry around something like Portable Overview (http://westerndigital.com.au/en/products/index.asp?cat=9)

for when you want those movies off the 1tb external and onto something more portable. It's what i do with my MBA when im travelling overseas.

Edit: Just to check, is there any difference between the My passport essential and the My passport for mac? I mean if you were to format the my passport essential, wouldn't it be exactly the same as the my passport for mac.

I'm ignoring the security software thing here.

mrshibby
11th June 2009, 11:59 AM
OK just ordered it, decided to go with the 160gb and upgrade later if needed.

Next stop RAM, is the Ram in the iMac the same as what's in the Macbooks?

So excited, my first Macbook :)

kungfucamel
11th June 2009, 12:30 PM
you'll need to order DDR3 SO-DIMM memory for your macbook.

mrshibby
11th June 2009, 12:33 PM
you'll need to order DDR3 SO-DIMM memory for your macbook.

Ahh ok cheers, I think my iMac was only DDR2...

lazydesi
11th June 2009, 12:45 PM
Ahh ok cheers, I think my iMac was only DDR2...

it is also no of pins

for ddr2 it is 200 pin for ddr3 it is 204 pins (???)

resonance
11th June 2009, 01:31 PM
The upgrades are a piece-o-piss. I've got a Macbook Pro (collectors edition (according to the macrumors forum peoples :P)) and my work has the slightly upgraded model of that. I swap the drives in and out all the time.

I've currently got a 320Gb in mine, but its split between OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu.
I'm looking to put a 500Gb in there mainly cause the Windows 7 partition is getting a bit stretched (steam and the associated games take up A-LOT!)

Comparitively, I've also got an Air (The pro is mainly a stay at home) with an 80Gb hd, now I'd give my arse and my hat to be able to upgrade that one. (Damn those 1.8" Zif drives not being readily avail)

But I'm a bit of a space person. I'd love to do SSD but only once its BIG AND CHEAP.
Ok I'm also a tightarse apparently :-).

But as everyone has said, it really depends on what you want it for. Even carrying around an 8gig USB in my coin pocket filled with latest tv shows and that can generally get me through a few days without having to go back home to restock.

chrissara
11th June 2009, 09:31 PM
Actually this raises an old but occassionally asked question - can the actual CPU be upgraded in the new MacBook Pro's? Of course this will depend on your ability to source a CPU for the architecture, but is it possible (or more correctly economically feasible down the track?)

sanjay
11th June 2009, 09:39 PM
my opinion:

if youre at uni or know someone who is (or dont know anyone and dont care), go to the apple education site to get $150 off the cost of the basic MBP.

use that $150 to buy a 500gb HDD from MSY and a ritmo external caddy.

take the 160gb drive out - put the 500gb drive in - put the 160gb drive in the caddy.

set up time machine

bonanza. :)

Dux
11th June 2009, 09:59 PM
...can the actual CPU be upgraded in the new MacBook Pro's?

Newp.

Very few laptops don't have the chip soldered onto the motherboard these days.

In fact, can anyone name one??

mrshibby78
11th June 2009, 11:26 PM
my opinion:

if youre at uni or know someone who is (or dont know anyone and dont care), go to the apple education site to get $150 off the cost of the basic MBP.

use that $150 to buy a 500gb HDD from MSY and a ritmo external caddy.

take the 160gb drive out - put the 500gb drive in - put the 160gb drive in the caddy.

set up time machine

bonanza. :)

The crazy thing is I actually work at a TAFE but my girlfriend is going to claim the MBP back on tax for work purposes so needs it to be in her name DOH!

Oh well I'll see how I get on with the 160gb and upgrade if I need it, cheers for the advice.

mrshibby
12th June 2009, 10:49 AM
Woo hoo it's arrived!!!!

OK I have some instructions on how to calibrate the battery on the previous MBP's, is it the same principal here?

Says I need to charge it to full, leave it plugged in for a couple of hours, then unplug it and use it until it dies then leave it off for at least 5 hours then recharge to max.

Would it be worth doing this practice a couple of times?

Cheers

dekco
12th June 2009, 11:43 AM
calibration will be the same. no changes.

mrshibby
12th June 2009, 11:49 AM
calibration will be the same. no changes.

Sweet, cheers mate

jusrus
12th June 2009, 02:28 PM
Got mine at Myer half an hour ago - $1749 price matched to EDU, interest free 24 months, plus $50 in vouchers for using Myer One.

Got work to do this afternoon - will set it up from my BlackBook over the weekend.

Thinking I might just swap the hard drives over rather than migrate the data?

dekco
12th June 2009, 03:51 PM
thats sweet! having myer match education discount. coupled with interest free.

chocho
12th June 2009, 08:27 PM
what type of adaptors are there for adapting a FW 800 to work with FW400 devices? all my ext. devices (mini DV, fw 400 drives) only have FW 400...
is there an inexpensive way to convert FW800-FW400?

thanks

Dux
12th June 2009, 08:50 PM
Got mine at Myer half an hour ago - $1749 price matched to EDU

Do you have to do anything for them to match EDU pricing other than showing them the EDU website??

FYI, I went to the Chatswood Apple Store today - the new 13" MBP screens are a big improvement over the previous models. Viewing angle is great, and colours do pop out more.

Aladdin
12th June 2009, 09:18 PM
what type of adaptors are there for adapting a FW 800 to work with FW400 devices? all my ext. devices (mini DV, fw 400 drives) only have FW 400...
is there an inexpensive way to convert FW800-FW400?

thanks

How inexpensive?

There is an adaptor (about 1.5 inches long) for about $20.

There is a Lacie FW800 to FW400 cable for approx $20.

leon
12th June 2009, 09:38 PM
Thinking I might just swap the hard drives over rather than migrate the data?

This may not work. The unibody's probably have their own specific version of 10.5.7 running on them.

Dux
13th June 2009, 12:17 PM
Do you have to do anything for them to match EDU pricing other than showing them the EDU website??

I normally don't quote myself, but I'm very curious as how to get the EDU pricematch at Myers.

eni
13th June 2009, 02:57 PM
I normally don't quote myself, but I'm very curious as how to get the EDU pricematch at Myers.

I did the same yesterday. Nothing special - I walked in and asked if they'd price match the educational store. They said yes as long as it's not below cost price, looked it up and said okay.

dekco
13th June 2009, 03:00 PM
+1 would be interesting just in case for future purchases, that way, i can get discount + interest free + points :D

jusrus
14th June 2009, 11:18 AM
+1 would be interesting just in case for future purchases, that way, i can get discount + interest free + points :D

Yep. I just printed the EDU price off the apple.com.au website.

I have to say though, he wasn't particularly happy about it. I did, however, also take out the Myer branded extra warranty (on site, I've used the mob in question whose name escapes me for a TV replacement, they were great) for $120, so at least they might have made some money there :)

dekco
14th June 2009, 02:25 PM
Yep. I just printed the EDU price off the apple.com.au website.

I have to say though, he wasn't particularly happy about it. I did, however, also take out the Myer branded extra warranty (on site, I've used the mob in question whose name escapes me for a TV replacement, they were great) for $120, so at least they might have made some money there :)
i wonder if the guys at DJ will do anything about it :p, afterall, i get points on my amex DJ credit :)

Dux
14th June 2009, 06:42 PM
I just wanted to know as I prefer to go buy one in person, after the trouble I've had with Toll couriers I don't particularly want to spend any money on the online AU Apple Store.

NathR32
17th June 2009, 06:26 PM
Hey folks,
Just wondering what version of Leopard the 13" MBP comes with? 10.5.6? 10.5.7?

My dad just bought a 2.53 13", but he hasn't set it up yet.
Want to download the latest version ahead of time if it didn't already come with it.

Thanks

~Coxy
17th June 2009, 06:36 PM
I believe it is a custom build of 10.5.7.

lazydesi
17th June 2009, 06:46 PM
Hey folks,
Just wondering what version of Leopard the 13" MBP comes with? 10.5.6? 10.5.7?

My dad just bought a 2.53 13", but he hasn't set it up yet.
Want to download the latest version ahead of time if it didn't already come with it.

Thanks
yep, it is custom build 10.5.7