PDA

View Full Version : Apple File System

McbLt
17th June 2005, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I'm looking at getting an external HDD, but I want to be able to use it between my PC and my wife's (soon to be) Mac. I'm worried about what type of file system that Mac's use. Will it be compatible with my PC?

Cheers
-Ben

neilrobinson
17th June 2005, 09:39 AM
use FAT32 for the file system, works with windows 98+ and mac os 9+. :)

neil

hawker
17th June 2005, 09:59 AM
The problem with Fat32 is it only works in file sizes of around 4GB or less. Pretty bad if you're working with Final Cut Pro import files or DVDz...

purana
17th June 2005, 10:03 AM
Or use the drive formatted as an HFS+ OSX filesystem and then purchase a copy of MacDrive (app for windows that allows to read/write HFS+ filesystems).

Either way has its good and bad points, you need to decide what suits best.

hawker
17th June 2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by purana@Jun 17 2005, 09:33 AM
Or use the drive formatted as an HFS+ OSX filesystem and then purchase a copy of MacDrive (app for windows that allows to read/write HFS+ filesystems).
That is a better option...

IMHO Fat32 is crap... :)

purana
17th June 2005, 10:22 AM
I am using macdrive currently, although only on my work PC as I sometimes bring my drive to work. But other then that its used mainly on apple machines at home.

I used fat32 for sometime and it worked, but when u had 4gb files it sucked. So yeah it was better to do the other way. Each person will decided differently I am sure.

theov
17th June 2005, 10:28 AM
I thought I read somewhere that tiger has read/write support for NTFS file systems? If this is the case and the mac is going to have tiger then I would go for this.

Insanely
17th June 2005, 10:50 AM
Mac OS X Tiger is read only for NTFS.

So is Linux. With linux you can get write support which is dangerous! There is also an application called captive-ntfs. Captive NTFS will use Windows System Files write to an NTFS drive. This requires you to have a valid copy of windows 2k or xp. I heard a rumour that there is development starting for Mac OS X for captive ntfs.

For now: If you want compatibility fat32 is your only answer :(

sikosis
17th June 2005, 03:23 PM
will the two machines be networked ?

Then you can just use samba to access those NTFS drives ...

and Windows Sharing to access your Mac drives on the PC.

jobe
17th June 2005, 04:01 PM
There are some good suggestions in --> External Hard Drives, Need a format for Win and Mac (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=7612&hl=external)

Partitions are such a pain in the arse. IMHO, all the "advantages" of these new partitions over fat32 are [almost] outweighed by their lack of interoperability. I have never heard of this MacDrive app, does it work well? I've used a few NTFS drivers in linux with some success and much failure. That captive NTFS thing looks promising also.