PDA

View Full Version : MBP and Boot Camp

cmdwedge
10th June 2009, 11:37 AM
Hello chaps,
Just about to click on 'Order' from the Apple Store. After a new 15" 2.8Ghz MBP. However, I have a couple of quick questions about Boot Camp, as I will want to use this Mac for a bit of gaming in Windows Vista (or 7).
1. Are the Boot Camp drivers still at version 2.1? The Boot Camp site on Apple.com has disappeared!
2. Is there still a problem with the fan control when inside Windows? That is, if you play a game, the fans don't spin up, and as a result you get black screen crashes when gaming?
3. Is the trackpad still a problem in Boot Camp? I read a lot about the trackpad on MBP not working very well at all.
Hopefully someone can help me out today, before my wife withdraws financial support for this purchase! :)
Cheers, wedge

NeoRicen
10th June 2009, 11:58 AM
1. I'm not sure what version they're at, but the OSX install disk that comes with the MBP contains all the drivers you need.
2. Not in my experience (previous gen 2.66ghz)
3. Seems fine to me.

Angsty
10th June 2009, 01:27 PM
Hello chaps,
Just about to click on 'Order' from the Apple Store.

Hope you used the Apple store link from this site :p

1. Are the Boot Camp drivers still at version 2.1? The Boot Camp site on Apple.com has disappeared!

The included Bootcamp drivers are fine to get you started. Once you install them, you go online to get the latest via Software Update anyway.

3. Is the trackpad still a problem in Boot Camp? I read a lot about the trackpad on MBP not working very well at all.

Nah, that was probably me ranting about the crappy lobotomy the Trackpad preferences get on a MacBook Air - where you don't have a setting to "ignore accidental touches when typing" and to "disable trackpad when mouse is connected" (Apparently, these are "ON" by default on a MBA.... but they are NOT! :confused:)

Haven't heard any negative stuff about the trackpad lately for other MB and MBP machines...

Ang
(And I had to fix my sentences several times while typing this reply due to the #$%&* trackpad behaviour... *sigh*)

cmdwedge
10th June 2009, 06:45 PM
Awesome then. I found that Apple have an update for the trackpad software (so there was a problem!) and also read that the new drivers directly from Nvidia monitor and control the fans properly, even with EFI (rather than BIOS).

Got a 2.66 previous-gen Macbook Pro. Really wanted the ExpressCard port and the 512mb of video RAM. Stuff the SD slot and the integrated battery. Saved $500 too. :)