PDA

View Full Version : 13/15" MacBook Pros and SD Card readers

jesse
10th June 2009, 06:14 AM
Is SD really going to become the standard for top DSLR cameras? All the ones I've ever seen (apart from the new Cannon ones silently shown on a slide at the keynote) have had CF card slots.

Am I wrong thinking the High end cameras have CF card slots and low end 'point and shoot' cameras use SD?

-jesse@wwdc

decryption
10th June 2009, 06:16 AM
Every current model Nikon DSLR except the D3X uses an SD card :)
The only reason Apple didn't put a CF card reader in there is that CF cards are too big and would take up precious space - hence why they removed the ExpressCard slot.

jetsetkiwi
10th June 2009, 06:48 AM
Most of the Canon DSLR Camera's use a CF Slot, except for the lower end ones (1000D?) and the 1D3, It utilises SD and CF from memory.

To me, its not that big a deal. On my old laptop, I had an SD slot, and when I went to buy my Macbook, I thought, wow, apple doesn't even have one!

But now that I've stepped up to a DSLR, its just as easy to get a fast CF card reader.

Alessiman
10th June 2009, 07:57 AM
The only reason Apple didn't put a CF card reader in there is that CF cards are too big and would take up precious space - hence why they removed the ExpressCard slot.

So when was the D700 no longer regarded as a current model :P

The CF card will come in handy as I can whack a few shows on it watch without having to put them onto the harddrive

DaveOZ
10th June 2009, 08:02 AM

My D700 uses CF. Just from my experience I have had 'issues' with SD card in a few devices. Never had a problem with CF.

Phil5150
10th June 2009, 08:10 AM
I have read that it is possible to boot from the SD Card, could be handy if it has a spit whilst out on the road, SD card smaller to carry than a CD/DVD disk

jeremy_warnock
10th June 2009, 08:12 AM
Sorry Decryption your wrong. The d300 and above all use CF cards(D300, D700, D3 & D3X), Im not sure about the canons. But No SD will not become the standard for pros, its is slower and not as reliable as CF cards, but a CF reader in the side would look horrible.

I think an extra usb would have been better that way we pros with of CF using cameras could have plugged in a usb card reader

BLINDER
10th June 2009, 08:46 AM
More generally speaking - every camera above about $3000 uses CF - this runs into the $50000 medium format backs as well.
These cameras tend to be used by people we shall call "professional". They, like me, use CF.
Apple used to make a range of laptops called MBP's.
I consider they now make a semi-professional MacBook and the 17 inch is their only true MBP.
So to whom amongst the real working professionals is Apple trying to help with the SD slot and removal of the Expresscard slot????
Sucks to be professional now doesn't it!

BTW - Jeremy I disagree with the use of USB for downloads. FW800 is where it's at!! USB is sloooow.

decryption
10th June 2009, 08:51 AM
Well don't I look like a fucking moron?
CF all the way, Apple are retards, boo Steve Jobs etc. etc.

Geoff3DMN
10th June 2009, 09:07 AM
So to whom amongst the real working professionals is Apple trying to help with the SD slot and removal of the Expresscard slot????

Apple are (I'm guessing) trying to appeal to the professional business user with the SD slot rather than CF.

Take me as an example... if I go out to an area to photograph a proposed new stop location then most of the time I use a compact camera, occasionally I use my DSLR (but that's got SD). It's for email to people, I don't need ISO 25000 or 22 megapixels or 1 metre focal lengths.

It's really only professional 'photographers' (and some high end amateurs) that will miss CF, almost everyone else prefers SD, and Apple have pitched this version of the laptop at that business professional market.

BLINDER
10th June 2009, 09:14 AM
Apple are (I'm guessing) trying to appeal to the professional business user with the SD slot rather than CF.

It's really only professional 'photographers' (and some high end amateurs) that will miss CF, almost everyone else prefers SD, and Apple have pitched this version of the laptop at that business professional market.
Hi Geoff, you're debating the nature of Apple not the nature of professionalism.
Considering how many pro's use CF and Expresscard slots (the less than 1% example I find mystifying btw - who measured that?? The same people who took off the FW from the MB initially that's who!!) and who they target the MBP's @ ie precisely these people - I think this is Apple sticking the bird to those pro's.
THE MBP has been a creative tool for professional users for many years.
Shove your SD into the MB and be done w/ it.

bennettnz
10th June 2009, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty happy (but surprised as everybody) that there is suddenly a SD slot in the macbooks both my DSLR and my little happy snappy use SD. It never really mattered to me before so I have never really thought much about it but perhaps SD is much much more common than other cards?

melbmac
10th June 2009, 09:50 AM
It's an interesting move me thinks.

The macbook pro is meant for "pros" (who, when referring to photographers mostly use CF cards) so having an SD card slot seems weird.

But then a majority of cameras use SD these days, so an SD slot is going to appeal to a larger number of people than a CF slot would. I don;t know what percentage of people still use CF cards, and wont speculate uch, but it's more than 1%.

I for one am REALLY glad CF has died in the arse in the consumer division. If I have to explain to one more numptie that broke their CF pins that it's gonna cost $XXX.XX to fix, and no it's not covered by warranty I am going to scream!

Sebastianmonty
10th June 2009, 10:07 AM
Look. On the bright side the previous gen have been superseded. So just buy a previous gen. That is my plan completely!

jesse
10th June 2009, 10:25 AM
So will high end DSLR cameras move to SD? If so then Apple is ahead, or will high end DSLR cameras NOT move to SD. If so then Apple is lowering the 'professional' standard.

-jesse@wwdc

Dux
10th June 2009, 10:49 AM
So will high end DSLR cameras move to SD? If so then Apple is ahead, or will high end DSLR cameras NOT move to SD. If so then Apple is lowering the 'professional' standard.

-jesse@wwdc

From what I understand, Most photographic companies are moving away from CF towards SD, even though traditionally CF had faster transfer rates. SD cards have caught up.

dotnet
10th June 2009, 04:35 PM
I have read that it is possible to boot from the SD Card, could be handy if it has a spit whilst out on the road, SD card smaller to carry than a CD/DVD disk

Looks like you've heard right:

About the SD card slot (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553)

Cheers
Steffen.

psyke
10th June 2009, 06:08 PM
About the SD card slot (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3553) says:

Cards that conform to the SD 1.x and 2.x standards should work. The SD card slot can use cards that are Standard SD (4 MB to 4 GB) and SDHC (4 GB to 32 GB). MMC can also be used in this slot. MiniSD, MicroSD, and higher density formats like MiniSDHC and MicroSDHC can also work with the use of "passive" adapters that conform to the width and thickness specifications listed above ... Your Macintosh has a maximum speed of 240 Mbit/s for SD media using the SD card slot. This exceeds the transfer rate of most SD media. (Class 2 media has a maximum transfer rate of 4 Mbit/s; Class 4 media has a maximum transfer rate of 4.8 Mbit/s; and Class 6 media has a maximum transfer rate of 45 Mbit/s.)

So while you could boot, will it really be faster than the internal HD or even than an external FW800 drive?

As Decryption pointed out (http://twitter.com/decryption/status/2100279260) to me the speed looks to be half USB 2, indicating that the SD reader is on the internal USB bus.

xtreme2k
10th June 2009, 06:10 PM
CF is always on the high end of DSLR and will always be due to more sturdier construction and higher speed and a file system that supports much more space.

SD is only for low end DSLR

melbmac
10th June 2009, 07:10 PM
CF is always on the high end of DSLR and will always be due to more sturdier construction and higher speed and a file system that supports much more space.

SD is only for low end DSLR

I've seen far more go wrong in the CF arena than in the SD arena, and far more of the gear I deal with uses SD.

As has been said before, CF used to have it's advantages, these days not so much, unless you care about theoretical maximums, then the difference is something like 28Mbits per second in terms of speed, and SDxc is going to be capable up to 2TB (again, in theory).

Gothikon
10th June 2009, 08:06 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say if Apple put a CF slot in their laptops everyone would be moaning about why they didn't go with SD. It's a bit of a storm in a teacup if you ask me.

SD seems like the obvious choice because it's:
smaller (probably cheaper from a component point too)
overall more common than CF (consoles, PDAs, a lot of cameras and phones use them too)
appearing on a ton of PC laptops these days

At the end of the day there is nothing to stop you connecting your camera directly or getting a small FW or USB CF card reader. MacBook Pros have never had SD or CF* slots so the fact that we get one at all is a bonus. Personally I'm surprised people aren't more upset about the removal of the express port than the addition of a SD slot.

I'm sure plenty of professional photographers use Macs but I suspect there are far more people who own MacBook Pros who are not professional photographers with SD cards kicking around AND I bet there are plenty of professional photographers with cameras that don't use CF cards or were using separate card readers anyway.

For the record I use SD cards on my PS3, Wii and DS, I also use them on my compact and DSLR cameras, my g/f's camera uses SD too. I own exactly one CF card which I use in my PPC upgraded Colour Classic via a 2.5" IDE adaptor.

* I know that you can get PCMCIA adaptors that would hold a CF card without protruding from a laptop.

dekco
10th June 2009, 08:28 PM
from my point of view, the expresscard is important, afterall you can plug in a multicard reader into expresscard, but you cant plug in your modem in the SD card slot.

xtreme2k
10th June 2009, 08:56 PM
I've seen far more go wrong in the CF arena than in the SD arena, and far more of the gear I deal with uses SD.

As has been said before, CF used to have it's advantages, these days not so much, unless you care about theoretical maximums, then the difference is something like 28Mbits per second in terms of speed, and SDxc is going to be capable up to 2TB (again, in theory).

To be honest i wont want either of these on the MBP.

I would rather an integrated 3G/3.5G modem. That would be so much more useful for me.

melbmac
10th June 2009, 10:01 PM
To be honest i wont want either of these on the MBP.

I would rather an integrated 3G/3.5G modem. That would be so much more useful for me.

Amen to that, but then of course you could just plug in you iPhone (soon anyway)...

So, back to a spare USB maybe?

leon
11th June 2009, 08:34 AM
Has anyone thought about using the SD card slot as a bootcamp drive?

Phunky
11th June 2009, 10:04 AM
Yeah, though the speed of affordable SD is quite slow
Like slower than a 5400rpm hdd, so not much point from that perspective
The fastest ones (~30mb/s) cost more than US$100