PDA

View Full Version : Noob with a Powerbook G4

don2222222
10th June 2009, 02:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I just got a used Powerbook G4.

It seems to have a lot of bells and whistles, but I am new to Macs so I am still learning about it. I have a great deal of experience in other platforms, so it's about time I guess that I learn about the best platform out there.

It has a problem with battery life, and the power adapter needs to be replaced. I have ordered these parts already and made sure to buy only Apple OEM stuff.

With that said, I would be interested in any resources for learning how to maximize it's potential. I plan to start scanning the forum for threads that will help, but if you guys have info that I need as a noob, please let me know.

Thanks,

Don

don2222222
12th June 2009, 02:55 PM
Hi Don,

Welcome to our forum. It's cool that you joined us even though you're in America instead of Austrailia.

Most of us are really nice, but some folks won't welcome you because we are wary of noobs. I'm not though.

Cool about your new powerbook, good luck. You'll find a lot of neat threads here which I am sure will be helpful to you.

Cheers mate.

tangent23
12th June 2009, 03:33 PM
edit> i just got the joke now :p

delux
12th June 2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Don,

Welcome to our forum. It's cool that you joined us even though you're in America instead of Austrailia.

Most of us are really nice, but some folks won't welcome you because we are wary of noobs. I'm not though.

Cool about your new powerbook, good luck. You'll find a lot of neat threads here which I am sure will be helpful to you.

Cheers mate.

that made me LOL, good work on sounding Australian Don. Welcome:D

~Coxy
12th June 2009, 04:21 PM
A PowerBook G4 could be almost anything from an ancient 400 MHz TiBook to a 1.67GHz Aluminium model. Which is yours?

don2222222
13th June 2009, 05:22 PM
Hmmm, I don't know. Can you tell me how to find out?

A PowerBook G4 could be almost anything from an ancient 400 MHz TiBook to a 1.67GHz Aluminium model. Which is yours?

don2222222
13th June 2009, 05:22 PM
Haha! Thanks!

that made me LOL, good work on sounding Australian Don. Welcome:D

leon
13th June 2009, 06:57 PM
Hmmm, I don't know. Can you tell me how to find out?

Check out Mactracker - get info on any Mac (http://www.mactracker.ca) and use that program to research which type of Powerbook you have.
Another quick way is to go to the Apple in the top left corner of your operating system and selecting "About this Mac."

rodeodee
13th June 2009, 08:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I just got a used Powerbook G4.

With that said, I would be interested in any resources for learning how to maximize it's potential. I plan to start scanning the forum for threads that will help, but if you guys have info that I need as a noob, please let me know.

Thanks,

Don

Welcome Don. Generally G4's are considered slow compared to the intel machines. However they can be very useful and still are great well made machine generally. Most people run either osx 10.4 or 10.5 depending on what they do with the machine. If it's an old old G4, you may want to keep it 10.3.

Put as much ram as you can and mess around with ilife apps, that's probably a good intro right there.

I'm still hammering a Powerbook while I'm waiting to sort out an MBP upgrade. I've done a ton of work on this machine, heaps of design and web sites and music and the odd video presentation. I'm pretty attached to it because it's so portable. Blue tooth and wifi work great. My powerbook screen is quite dim these days, but seem plenty bright as long as it's not in daylight.

Good luck, enjoy your powerbook.

don2222222
14th June 2009, 02:25 PM
Cool, thanks for the info folks.

I'll be checking it out and posting up what I have.