PDA

View Full Version : If I upgrade to a 3GS, will my purchased apps sync?

prince
9th June 2009, 05:29 PM
Thinking of upgrading to a 32gb 3GS

Will all my app store purchases still sync?

Alec Fraser
9th June 2009, 05:39 PM
Yes, in theory you should be able to back up your 3G, and restore the 3GS so that all your apps and settings will sync across. Otherwise, as long as your apps are sync'd to iTunes, you'll be able to install them on the 3GS

Lumus
9th June 2009, 07:04 PM
I can't see why not. I can sync apps from my iPhone onto an iPod Touch, and the OS is essentially the same.

NeoRicen
9th June 2009, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure about restoring from a backup, but just syncing the apps fresh won't sync over any data (scores etc. for games) that was saved to that app from the other device. That data doesn't appear to be transferred to the computer at any point.

justjack
9th June 2009, 07:16 PM
What about all my other settings???

Will I be able to retain my SMS conversations, missed & dialled calls listings etc...

NeoRicen
9th June 2009, 07:20 PM
What about all my other settings???

Will I be able to retain my SMS conversations, missed & dialled calls listings etc...
I don't think so. Then again I'm coming at it from just syncing with your machine as new, not restoring from a backup. I'm not sure if you can restore a 3G backup to a 3GS, or what a backup includes and doesn't.

matthew858
9th June 2009, 07:21 PM
They are put on a backup. With the 3.0 GM, the backup even remembers your app icon placement on the homescreen. The data from the backup is stored in SQLite databases on the computer that you sync with, so there is no reason why the data shouldn't go to the 3GS.

SilverJ
9th June 2009, 07:55 PM
I am sure that everything important will be backed up in the iPhone backup file as usual. However, I am interested in a way to de-authorise my phone so when I onsell my current iPhone I don't have to lose one of my 5 authorised devices. I want to just disable that iPhone from using my apps and then authorise my new iPhone from the backup and transfer the apps across that way. Is that possible?

matthewk
9th June 2009, 07:55 PM
With the 3.0 GM, the backup even remembers your app icon placement on the homescreen.

That is some sweet news. I've had to do 4 or 5 restores, each time I have to move 40 or 50 icons around, not fun at all. I am still hopeing Apple may one day allow icon arrangement within iTunes.

justjack
10th June 2009, 10:52 PM
I don't think so. Then again I'm coming at it from just syncing with your machine as new, not restoring from a backup. I'm not sure if you can restore a 3G backup to a 3GS, or what a backup includes and doesn't.

Guess we'll find out hey!

Joey1983
10th June 2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure if you can restore a 3G backup to a 3GS

Pretty sure you could load a back up from the original iPhone onto the 3G, so I'd imagine it would work from 3G to 3GS.

Beau
10th June 2009, 11:21 PM
Yup, and I could restore from a backup from my iPod touch (1G) to my iPhone 3G when I bought it, so you'd assume it'd work!