PDA

View Full Version : Macbook "Pro" my ass

visional_studios
9th June 2009, 02:11 PM
Rant warning.

Apple should take the "Pro" off the end of their laptop line.

15" is the sweet spot for me. However now apple have decided to strip out the Expresscard slot. No joy with eSata now, or extra firewire ports. Many countries overseas use this port to connect over 3G also.

So if I purchase the higher end 15" MBP, which doesn't leave much change from $4000, then I plug in my mouse, I then only have 1 USB port and 1 firewire port.

So If I want to connect my video camera via Firewire, then hook up an external firewire raid to capture on - bad luck. Daisy chaining is not a viable solution.

So we get an SD card slot instead. Scratching my head on this one.

2 USB ports and 1 firewire. No other expansion options. Pathetic. From a machine that costs nearly $4000.

The screen. A big fat mirror. Now I know I'm ridiculously good looking, but sometimes I have to look at something else. I better not take a photo or video with any black in it.
Then it comes with 1440 x 900 - now there's a professional resolution! At least give 1680 x 1050. Hell the powerbooks years ago had more vertical resolution.

Integrated graphics on a "Pro" machine that cost $2700.

My battery dies on a shoot. Bad luck, find a plug, or bring a generator.

I want to burn some high def footage or motion graphics for a client onto blu ray, or back up some large files on disc. Sorry.

Yes we pay more for OSX and the awesome software. No gripes there at all. I just don't see why I have to buy a 17" laptop to do the above, especially at that price tag. Always being pushed up the next price bracket, for one small feature.

You know, audio, video, graphic "professionals" actually do some serious work sometimes, we don't just make cute little 'my kid made a sand castle at the beach' home videos to show our mothers.

End rant. Apologies.

Geoff3DMN
9th June 2009, 02:18 PM
Most of the MacBook 'Pro' range is now Prosumer not Professional (still Pro... just a different one).

Exocet
9th June 2009, 02:25 PM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/66080-new-mbp-update-whats.html