PDA

View Full Version : New MBP Update - what's in it?

zigzagler
9th June 2009, 10:18 AM
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if the new MBP 15" has got a new brighter screen?? or is that only applicable to the 13" MBP? Can anyone fill me up on why they call the 13" MB a MBP now???is it because of the addtional FW800???

Also, how much would the previous 2.4Ghz MBP Unibody with 4GB Ram cost if I were to sell it??? Any idea anyone???

Does the new 7Hrs Battery Life & a bump on the processor worth the upgrade from the previous Unibody MBP(with removable battery)?

Any comments from the experts would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

akwoo
9th June 2009, 10:45 AM
spewing about the new 13 inch update! it was only 6 months ago!!

NeoRicen
9th June 2009, 10:48 AM
spewing about the new 13 inch update! it was only 6 months ago!!
Please tell me you're not serious.

akwoo
9th June 2009, 11:00 AM
nope, go look at apple site,
all of them get the 7 hour battery life now....
firewire 800 std on 13inch now too...

NeoRicen
9th June 2009, 11:09 AM
nope, go look at apple site,
all of them get the 7 hour battery life now....
firewire 800 std on 13inch now too...
No, are you serious about complaining about an update after 6 months (it's actually 8 months, longer than the upgrade cycle over the last couple of years).

Sebastianmonty
9th June 2009, 11:14 AM
The more updates the better. Hell just update every time and sell the mac if you are that disappointed.

mrshibby
9th June 2009, 11:25 AM
So I have a 2.4ghz 24" iMac and I want a laptop to go with it. This new 13" base model MBP looks kinda tastey, do you think I should plump for one of those or find something in the refurb store?

I do no gaming and will be used mainly for photo editing, browsing and maybe a media centre using Plex...

Any advice would be great, cheers!

zigzagler
9th June 2009, 11:34 AM
I heard they actually use the macbook air screen on the new 13"MBP...is that true? I hope they're still using the same LCD screen for the 15" MBP though...

zigzagler
9th June 2009, 11:35 AM
Please tell me you're not serious.

Hey Neo,

Any regrets on your MBP purchase so far???

BTW, did the previous MBP has the 801.11n built in???

Cheers!

NeoRicen
9th June 2009, 11:46 AM
Hey Neo,

Any regrets on your MBP purchase so far???

BTW, did the previous MBP has the 801.11n built in???

Cheers!
No regrets, although I can't say it wouldn't have been nice if I waited. The only real change that bugs me is the battery, since prices are always changing and Kevin Rudd paid for most of it, not me.

MacBooks and MacBook Pros have had 802.11n for quite a while now.

unknown device
9th June 2009, 12:09 PM
Seems as though the current macbook applecare covers the 13" MBP too! Which is a good thing... $579 for app on an $1899 laptop would have sent people running!

NeoRicen
9th June 2009, 12:12 PM
Seems as though the current macbook applecare covers the 13" MBP too! Which is a good thing... $579 for app on an $1899 laptop would have sent people running!
Makes sense, the Pro designation is purely marketing, nothing much, apart from an extra port and better battery, has really changed in a way that changes the nature of the product.

unknown device
9th June 2009, 12:17 PM
Make sense to require the pro version from the perspective of apples profit tho ;)

Lutze
9th June 2009, 12:19 PM
Make sense to require the pro version from the perspective of apples profit tho ;)

If I remember correctly the 12" PB was cheaper than others. (for Applecare)

Spectacular291
9th June 2009, 12:27 PM
that just hurt a little, i bought my 2.4ghz MacBook a month ago! (exactly a month ago; 9/5/09) and the upgraded one is now a $150 less with more Ram and a Faster Processor and a SD Slot (not a huge thing).

Not to be too greedy, I might send Apple an email and ask if there's anything they can do, although I honestly don't expect anything. I just feel a little bit ripped off a tiny bit, but I don't on the other hand also as I really enjoy my MacBook, but i might just have to swallow it and move on!

iguy83
9th June 2009, 12:47 PM
Im in the same boat. I bought my new MB only a fortnight ago (24/5!)!!! A little bit peeved, If i had have known about this i would have held off for another 2 weeks..

Spectacular291
9th June 2009, 12:51 PM
Im in the same boat. I bought my new MB only a fortnight ago (24/5!)!!! A little bit peeved, If i had have known about this i would have held off for another 2 weeks..

AH DUDE take it back within 14 days NOW!!!!!!!!

Jaffa
9th June 2009, 01:00 PM
A product becomes obsolete even before it is thought of.

kickinit
9th June 2009, 01:18 PM
do you reaken its worth selling my current unibody macbook for the 13-inch pro?

AnthoMac
9th June 2009, 03:20 PM
do you reaken its worth selling my current unibody macbook for the 13-inch pro?

i'll say no.
unless you need 2.53ghz, mroe battery life (at the expense of a non displacable battery), firewire 800 and an SD card slot.
there are no major architectural changes regarding the CPU and nvidia chipset, nor is there any change with videocard.

NeoRicen
9th June 2009, 03:22 PM
i'll say no.
unless you need 2.53ghz, mroe battery life (at the expense of a non displacable battery), firewire 800 and an SD card slot.
there are no major architectural changes regarding the CPU and nvidia chipset, nor is there any change with videocard.
And seeing as he had no issue buying the MacBook, I'd guess he doesn't need those things.

koodoz
11th June 2009, 01:38 AM
I gotta question re the new MacBook Pro 2.53ghz Graphic Card

On Sunday, I ordered a 15" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz with 4gb RAM upgrade from 'The Techxperts' before their 10% off sale finished - ended up paying $3,041.10 - I was happy with that price!

Then I got a call this morning from the manager of the store informing me that they were getting the new line of MBP's in and I could get the same specs (i.e 4gb RAM) as what I had ordered, with a faster processor (2.53ghz) at a cheaper price ($2,699). I figured this was a great deal... faster processor, same amount of ram, newer machine build and longer lasting battery.

After hanging up, it got me thinking... Perhaps there's a catch?? Referring to the tech specs on Apple's site, it turns out the Graphics card is different to the other new models.

My technical knowledge about Graphics cards is... zilch! So, can anyone tell me if this is the main reason for the new MBP being substantially cheaper than the 2.4ghz machine I had previously ordered?

Being a graphic/web designer who uses Adobe CS3. Should I be concerned about the graphic performance of the 2.53ghz model? I don't do 3D or video editing and I don't do games either, but I will watch DVDs/AVIs.

Soleil
11th June 2009, 06:53 AM
that just hurt a little, i bought my 2.4ghz MacBook a month ago! (exactly a month ago; 9/5/09) and the upgraded one is now a $150 less with more Ram and a Faster Processor and a SD Slot (not a huge thing).

Not to be too greedy, I might send Apple an email and ask if there's anything they can do, although I honestly don't expect anything. I just feel a little bit ripped off a tiny bit, but I don't on the other hand also as I really enjoy my MacBook, but i might just have to swallow it and move on!

Absolutely nothing you can do. I did this last year. I bought a macbook pro, weeks later it dropped by $800 in price and upped the specs. I was unable to do anything about it. They said within 14 days would have been able to but even just one day over and youre out of luck... learned my lesson this time around and waited for the update before upgrading.

Spectacular291
11th June 2009, 07:48 AM
Absolutely nothing you can do. I did this last year. I bought a macbook pro, weeks later it dropped by $800 in price and upped the specs. I was unable to do anything about it. They said within 14 days would have been able to but even just one day over and youre out of luck... learned my lesson this time around and waited for the update before upgrading.

Yeah thats what i was figuring as much, but I'm extremely happy with my macbook, so i dont consider it a loss at all!

chris
11th June 2009, 05:39 PM

On Sunday, I ordered a 15" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz with 4gb RAM upgrade from 'The Techxperts' before their 10% off sale finished - ended up paying $3,041.10 - I was happy with that price!

Then I got a call this morning from the manager of the store informing me that they were getting the new line of MBP's in and I could get the same specs (i.e 4gb RAM) as what I had ordered, with a faster processor (2.53ghz) at a cheaper price ($2,699). I figured this was a great deal... faster processor, same amount of ram, newer machine build and longer lasting battery.

After hanging up, it got me thinking... Perhaps there's a catch?? Referring to the tech specs on Apple's site, it turns out the Graphics card is different to the other new models.

My technical knowledge about Graphics cards is... zilch! So, can anyone tell me if this is the main reason for the new MBP being substantially cheaper than the 2.4ghz machine I had previously ordered?

Being a graphic/web designer who uses Adobe CS3. Should I be concerned about the graphic performance of the 2.53ghz model? I don't do 3D or video editing and I don't do games either, but I will watch DVDs/AVIs.

You will be fine with that graphics card. Much better to have the newer machine at the cheaper price.

NeoRicen
11th June 2009, 05:42 PM

The model they want to give you only has integrated graphics. If you can afford it go for the $3199 model.

koodoz
12th June 2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks Chris and NeoRicen - Interesting that you both have different opinions. I've asked around to guage people's thoughts and the consensus seems to be in favour of the cheaper option if I'm not a gamer/video editor/3d designer.

I think I'll stick with the cheaper option and use the spare money for some other (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/ipod_mp3_speakers/devices/4320&cl=hk,en) goodies (http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html)