PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo... Current Unibody MB owners, when to upgrade to Pro?

Dux
9th June 2009, 09:32 AM
I only bought a Macbook about 2 months ago. Two features I was after were the high-quality display and the new extended battery.

Now the MB gets upgraded to Pro, and is at a pretty decent pricepoint.

Here's my question: should I try to sell my Unibody MB now and buy a 13" MBP retail, or wait another 3 or 4 months and wait till they hit the refurb store?

Phase
9th June 2009, 09:39 AM
Bare in mind the Macbook's are getting the Air's screen. As evidenced by the transition over the last 2 weeks.

It's not exactly 'pro' quality, but it is a slight upgrade.

As for selling, the market is going to be flooded for the next few weeks, I'd say.

sectioneight
9th June 2009, 09:49 AM
I only bought a Macbook about 2 months ago. Two features I was after were the high-quality display and the new extended battery.

Now the MB gets upgraded to Pro, and is at a pretty decent pricepoint.

Here's my question: should I try to sell my Unibody MB now and buy a 13" MBP retail, or wait another 3 or 4 months and wait till they hit the refurb store?

Same dilemma here... bought my refurb in March

Think i'm gonna have to just suck it up and keep my current one for a while longer

Pissed they have 'added' FW800 tho...stupid me...

craigc
9th June 2009, 09:59 AM
I purchased my Unibody MacBook last November. At the time I was bummed out by the lack of Firewire but went ahead anyway. After Steve's comments on the future of firewire at the launch of the original unibody, I would have never have imagined they would have done a U-Turn on this issue. Oh Well - that is always the risk of being an early adopter. However, I can't help but feel a bit screwed.

Dux
9th June 2009, 10:07 AM

Think i'm gonna have to just suck it up and keep my current one for a while longer

Yeah I bought my refurb April I think.

Ah, just the Air's screen? Hmmm

I'm more after the battery and SD slot I suppose

Exocet
9th June 2009, 11:16 AM
I'll upgrade when I need a new laptop. This one has served me well for the past 3 months or so, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Dux
9th June 2009, 11:32 AM

Yeah I bought my refurb April I think.

Ah, just the Air's screen? Hmmm

I'm more after the battery and SD slot I suppose

ciprol
9th June 2009, 11:34 AM
Given that 10.6 is due for release in 3 months with 64bit processing amongst other technology upgrades, is now a good time o upgrade my 1st Gen Macbook to 13" Macbook Pro? Or would it be wiser to wait for the next hardware update where the HW may be even more compatible with the new OS?

Exocet
9th June 2009, 11:42 AM
Buy now, the MacBooks were updated 7 hours ago.

Phase
9th June 2009, 11:47 AM
Buy now, the MacBooks were updated 7 hours ago.

This is bullshit, I'm waiting for the next refresh.

I'm starting a thread.

Spectacular291
9th June 2009, 12:33 PM
I'll upgrade when I need a new laptop. This one has served me well for the past 3 months or so, and I'm perfectly happy with it.

FOR DAMN SURE +1

kiwijohn
9th June 2009, 12:37 PM
+2 took 5 years update from an iBook, & I'm still using it. Both at the mo.

Spectacular291
9th June 2009, 03:07 PM
im happy to use mine for another few years at least, i paid $2966 in total for mine i'm going to get my value out of it!

mcargy08
9th June 2009, 03:08 PM
im happy to use mine for another few years at least, i paid $2966 in total for mine i'm going to get my value out of it!

same for me...

AnthoMac
9th June 2009, 03:27 PM
+2 took 5 years update from an iBook, & I'm still using it. Both at the mo.

dude, hold on to that ibook so when it breaks you'll truly justify a new purchase. lol you mac guys are starting to sound like PCs.

Mac: "Hi I'm a Mac"
PC: "and I've just sold my 3 months old videocard, because this new one is 5% faster than the old, and is available in red!"

Huy
9th June 2009, 03:40 PM

Ditto.

I bought my unibody 2.4 as soon as it came out. On top of that, I've already purchased AppleCare for it until 2011. Plus 4GB RAM and a 7200RPM HDD.

Definitely not going to lose money on it. Shame I couldn't have the better battery life and screen, but I'm happy with this machine. Great little MacBook. :)

Mecha
9th June 2009, 04:44 PM
I got my 2.4 unibody Macbook in Jan. I'll be selling it and jumping up to a 17" now that its had a bit of a price drop.

black painter
9th June 2009, 05:48 PM
Im still loving my unibody mac. Its still preety and fast just would have been better with firewire. The biggest turning point was hearing that the white macbook got the new graphics chip with firewire. Ill still wait and see with the phone but im not replacing the mac book till late 2010 or 2011 with a macbook pro

waLurker
9th June 2009, 05:52 PM
When I saw this news I was fairly envious (I have the 2.4ghz unibody Macbook). But then I realised I don't shoot video anymore so Firewire isn't too important anymore. Also, a better screen would be great but I'm fairly happy with the one on mine, an SD slot is pretty much useless for me and 99% of the time I either use my Macbook at uni or at home so the improved battery isn't a big deal. I'm now a 'regular user' as I stopped gaming or video editing a while back so 2.4ghz is more than enough for me. Still, the extra bump would be nice to have :p

I'm looking at it positively... I now have the most powerful non-'pro' Macbook evarrr, right? :crazy1:

Dux
9th June 2009, 08:13 PM
I'm looking at it positively... I now have the most powerful non-'pro' Macbook evarrr, right? :crazy1:

You do speak a nice amount of reason to an illogical consumer like me :D

Yeah... I suppose my current unibody is fine (hell, it really is the best notebook I've ever used), but Apple have just released all of the features I was after but didn't expect for another 9 months...... High-quality display, crazy battery, tougher single-plate bottom (my current unibody flexes a bit) and Centrino2 with 6MB cache (I assume it's the 2.53GHz P9500).

dche5390
10th June 2009, 08:32 AM
I am selling my base model alu macbook or I will give it to my brother in law or cousin overseas. I found the 9400m insufficient for my casual gaming needs (read supreme commander) and when I saw a refurb 2.4 MBP for $2149, I just could not resist.

Never was interested by the so called new MBP range - its the same crap to me.

melbmac
10th June 2009, 09:41 AM
I'm hanging onto my 2.4 macbook for a bit longer, perfectly happy with it and it's paid in full.

Geoff3DMN
10th June 2009, 09:52 AM
I'd like the SD slot and the better screen (mostly I use mine on power so the battery life isn't a big issue), but there isn't enough difference to justify changing my 2.4 unibody to the and I've already upgraded to 4gb of memory.

If they'd managed to squeeze the 9600GT into the 13" form factor then I'd be tempted, but as it is I'll wait for the next update and see then.

Rayd
10th June 2009, 04:29 PM
im still super happy with my white macbook 2.0 C2D from 2006 :D

ive upgraded it to the shithouse tho, 3gb Ram and 500gb HD
and ive even modded it to look like a unibody lol

ill have this little guy for at least another 8 months :D

Dux
11th June 2009, 09:52 PM
Mmmm, after a lot of hard thinking I'll sell my unibody MacBook.

I wanted to get a laptop to last me for at least the next 3 years - that new built-in battery will fit that need nicely.

Better screen a huge plus as well when I commence my graphic design course either this year or beginning of next.