DrNick
15th June 2005, 10:29 PM
Sorry guys
i tried searching but i didnt know what i was searching for
haha

So anyway
its pissin me off now.
i know theres no option in the OS
but is there any hack you can use to stop OSX from sleeping when the lid is closed
Cheers guys

-Nick-

Ozi
15th June 2005, 10:36 PM
yeah it has been answered in the past: I just am having trouble with the search function to find it myself. :)

Essentially, the best way is to have the computer set to wake up when it detects a moust (BT i think) and it will wake up with the lid closed.

EDIT: yeah, this way is certainly one way to do it. See attached screenshot.

thedragonreborn
15th June 2005, 10:42 PM
there is, and i will tell ya (proberly breaking some rules though)

i think if you install the spaning screen patch, it has an option to enable clamshell mode, (AWAKE while lid closed), HOWEVER i would NOT recommend it, because the IBOOKS cool down from the key board. so with the lid shut you gonna over heat and lock up. if i am wrong sorry, but i read it the other day coz i just put the patch on myself

steve

MightyAtom
16th June 2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by thedragonreborn@Jun 15 2005, 11:12 PM
HOWEVER i would NOT recommend it, because the IBOOKS cool down from the key board. so with the lid shut you gonna over heat and lock up.
No need to fret, you're completely wrong.

Apple haven't made a keyboard cooled notebook since about 1998, it was the Powerbook 2400 if I recall correctly.

Current iBook/Powerbooks will not be damaged by running in clamshell mode, as long as the rear hinge vent isn't obstructed that is.

Kildare
16th June 2005, 12:11 AM
The Screen Spanning Doctor will do it as mentioned.
Official site here...
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

pipsqeek
16th June 2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by MightyAtom@Jun 16 2005, 12:01 AM
No need to fret, you're completely wrong.

Apple haven't made a keyboard cooled notebook since about 1998, it was the Powerbook 2400 if I recall correctly.

Current iBook/Powerbooks will not be damaged by running in clamshell mode, as long as the rear hinge vent isn't obstructed that is.
I'd still not take any chances, as the left hand side (where the HDD spends its life) does warm up when its thrashing away.

pipsqeek

Squozen
22nd June 2005, 10:34 AM
Sleepless.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17893

I don't recommend using it either. :)