PDA

View Full Version : Can't archive and install

gumby08
8th June 2009, 09:37 AM
My 2008 iMac starting playing up yesterday (constant spinning beachball on all applications, freezing). I'm not sure if the problem started following software updates or after installing drivers for my new Brother printer.

Anyway, after iTunes froze altogether and iStat menus disappeared, I restarted the computer. It then got stuck on the grey apple screen so I switched it off, unplugged it and removed all the external devices except for the keyboard and mouse, and left it overnight in the hope that it would miraculously recover by morning.

No such luck of course, still stuck on the grey screen. So now I'm looking to do an archive and install off the CD. The problem is, my hard drive isn't appearing. Disk Utility shows WDC WD3200AAJS-40VWA0 Media, but Verify Disk (and all the other options) are greyed out so I can't select them. On Mac OS X Installer, the Select a Destination box is empty, ie there are no options for where to install it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :sad:

leon
8th June 2009, 09:59 AM
Sounds to me like your HDD has died. Do you hear it spin up? Is it making strange/funny noises?

gumby08
8th June 2009, 10:24 AM
Unfortunately I think you might be right. I'm now on the phone to AppleCare, the guy tried to partition and then erase the drive with no luck. Said he's never seen this error before. :shocked:

gumby08
8th June 2009, 07:03 PM
MAC1 will be sending out a technician in the next couple of days to (hopefully) fix my poor dead iMac. It seems that it is a hard drive issue after all. Thank goodness for Applecare and Time Machine!

The only major drawback is that I now have to share my precious MacBook with the rest of the family until the iMac is up and running again.