PDA

View Full Version : how to get Remote Tap to work away from home

PCKid
7th June 2009, 12:10 AM
I've been using Remote tap at home via wifi. So in bed I can check out what's going on on my iMac. But when I tried to do it at a restaurant last night and selected mobile it tried then said can't open port 5902. Not really up on this sort of thing. How can I make it work when out of wifi range?

Lutze
7th June 2009, 12:33 AM
Is that meant to be Apple's Remote App for iPhone?

That will not work outside of your home WiFi as it needs to be on the same network to work.

dtl
7th June 2009, 07:00 AM
PCKid,

RemoteTap does work over 3G/Internet. You router needs to forward incoming RemoteTap packets to your Mac. See the following page for setup intructions:

RemoteTap Setup Internet (http://www.readpixel.com/remotetap_setuprouter/index.html)

Cheers,
dtl

PCKid
7th June 2009, 12:03 PM
Almost there I think. I have checked the setup link but it starts off really well and then sort of just tells you to put in your ip address but not really much help as to where to do that on your phone. I went into settings and thought it might be under network but don't see anything about enter your ip address here. So still need a bit of help there please. I have my ip address. On the mac the remote tap is setup fine so it is only on the Phone I need help. I'm pretty sure my Belkin ADSL2 Router is plug and play.

dtl
7th June 2009, 12:26 PM
Hi PCKid,

In RemoteTap on the iPhone, create a second profile, then edit it (blue right arrow) and set the IP/DNS to your external IP address. If you need additional help, please contact me at support@readpixel.com anytime.

Cheers,
Dirk

PCKid
7th June 2009, 01:26 PM
Hi PCKid,

In RemoteTap on the iPhone, create a second profile, then edit it (blue right arrow) and set the IP/DNS to your external IP address. If you need additional help, please contact me at support@readpixel.com anytime.

Cheers,
Dirk

Got it. Many Thanks. Works a treat. Might be a good idea to expand the help for Dumbos like me to include this last bit of info you just gave me re creating a second profile.