PDA

View Full Version : Flash CS4 - Exploding Text.

STK
6th June 2009, 03:30 PM
Hey All,
I'm having trouble making text break into many pieces and scattering all over the screen.

I am able to make individual letters break apart from each other, but I want to make each letter break into a few pieces. Like the "Blast" effect in keynote.

Anybody know how to or point me to a tutorial? (I couldn't find any)

I'm sure there was an option to do it in an older version of flash but it's either gone in Cs4, moved somewhere where I can't find it or has been changed to something else. :confused:

banjo
6th June 2009, 04:14 PM
The easy way to do this is to break up a string of text into individual letters using Cmd-B (Modify > Break Apart) and then distribute them to individual layers by using Shift-Cmd-D (Modify > Timeline > Distribute to Layers). This way you can individually tween each letter in whatever direction and rotation you want. Takes a bit of time if you have long strings, but easy for short bits of text.

[edit] Oh, I saw you already got this far ... never mind.

STK
6th June 2009, 04:15 PM
Hey,
Yea I got that far, but do you know how to make the broken up text break up into small pieces?

banjo
6th June 2009, 04:19 PM
A very time-consuming way would be to convert the text to shapes and cut it up like any other shape in flash, put the bits on individual layers, and animate each one separately. If you only have a few letters (like from a logo or something) then this might not take too long and you'll have a heap of control over it.

Otherwise some ActionScript might be in order.

STK
6th June 2009, 04:22 PM
How do I do it the actionscript way?

Thanks.

banjo
6th June 2009, 04:34 PM
I've never done it ... somebody might have something out there. It's also not likely to be easy, especially if you're unfamiliar with programming and/or Actionscript.

Lutze
6th June 2009, 05:48 PM
Coming at this from a different angle.. and probably far to clunky / chunky a method but would that not be easy to do with Motion and then convert to flash?

STK
6th June 2009, 07:30 PM
I have to do it in flash...It's a project.

STK
7th June 2009, 07:41 PM
Anybody else? It's very easy to do in SwishMax - but thats PC only...