PDA

View Full Version : ibook - reliable?

Carve
5th June 2009, 09:30 PM
so what is better just for performance and general use, etc etc?

just though I might ask someone on the iBook really (G4) caue i'll be looking to that if it is better then my mininote

kiwijohn
5th June 2009, 10:17 PM
This one (12in) is over 5 years old now & still going strong. The GF's one died in 4 (14in).

Snow Leopard
5th June 2009, 11:45 PM
mine (14") would have been fine if i hadn't spilt water on it :( have a 15" macbook pro now. all happy :D

EDIT: mine was made in 2004. the incident happened a few months ago.

rodeodee
6th June 2009, 12:19 AM
I bought an ibook g4 12" 2 years ago. It currently has a hard drive needing replacing, and I had to try some DIY repair to the logic board where it started flaking out. When it was running, it ran tiger beautifully, the screen is superbright, the battery still lasted 5 hours roughly, and it has great wifi reception. I need to get it running again - the wife misses it quite a bit :(
Not grunty anymore, but as a general couch web surfing laptop it was pretty good.

iCarllovesapple
6th June 2009, 12:53 AM
I don't have an iBook, or ever used one, but I'd say that if you found one in good condition, and if you kept it well maintained (ie: Using programs such as TechTool deluxe) then the iBook should be fine :) Enjoy!

gurgle
6th June 2009, 02:58 AM
mine's still kicking around after 5+ years. only issue is the charger carked it a few weeks ago. replacement from ebay is on its way

whitemacbook
6th June 2009, 09:23 AM
i want an ibook of some description just to use as a jukebox

Byrd
6th June 2009, 11:00 AM
I don't have an iBook, or ever used one

Umm .... so why post in this thread? :) Unless you have something to say, then please don't!

As you have probably read iBook G3 and G4 models suffer from video problems which is quite common across the model range. However, if the iBook has been working well for several years now with no video corruption issues chances are it'll continue to work well for several more years.

Ideally go for an iBook 1.2, 1.3, 1.4Ghz model. If used for basic web and office use, Office 2004 is your best bet (don't bother with Office 2008).

JB

GraphicUmp
6th June 2009, 12:28 PM
I bought a refurb 12" 1.2 almost 4 years ago and the bf now uses it daily - we've never had a single issue, ever. He's rough on laptops as he uses them on commercial rooftops in all kinds of weather (he's an HVACR master and looks up service info).

I even added a larger hard drive, a superdrive and bluetooth to it.

iCarllovesapple
7th June 2009, 01:37 AM
Byrd, I was just putting in my word but that seems like I've broken the law on the forums.

gr8bob
7th June 2009, 04:02 PM
iBook G4 933MHz 14". Lovely little machine since '06

Had quite a little abuse throughout its life, now the adapter's chuffed up, and the HDD might be on its way too. Initial screen developed a static 'blue' line over it but found a replacement and it's all dandy now.

Gave it to my brother and it's still up and running with Tiger.

dche5390
10th June 2009, 08:41 AM
12" iBook G4s are reliable little machines. Bought one for a short holiday overseas and although I had one many years ago, Apple have spoiled me with slimmer and less boxy designs of late. The iBook was rather brick looking and the screen very dim. However, it was a sweet little machine. Runs OS X Leopard relatively well too!

It has a full size laptop keyboard - something you will not find in a sub $600 netbook. The battery life can't really compare to today's netbooks as it is old tech. With BT, IR, wireless b/g, its an ok investement if its less than $500.

Never ever had an issue with my iBooks (had 2x 12-inchers). Twas my first Mac as well during uni.

In summary, if you can live with a dim display, go for it!

dopus
10th June 2009, 08:48 AM
My 14" G4 iBook (1.2Ghz I think??) is still going strong. Original battery is still good too (gives 3 hours + time). I use it all the time in my business (IT contractor). Only now am I considering updating to teh new macbook Pro, but I have no idea what to do with the iBook as I don't want to sell it, it has been too good.

gurgle
10th June 2009, 08:49 AM
actually, because of the battery recall a few years ago the battery on mine is still fairly newish.. i get a good 2 or 3 hours of good use (wifi on, sceen mid to low brightness...)

sure nothing like the brand spanking macbook pros just released but for a 4+ year old lappy im not complaining!

dche5390
10th June 2009, 08:50 AM
Have no idea what to do with the iBook as I don't want to sell it, it has been too good.

Keep it as a media centre. VGA out to a lcd/plasma tv and voila!

rodeodee
10th June 2009, 10:41 AM
In summary, if you can live with a dim display, go for it!

My powerbook - 2005 model - has a far dimmer screen the 2003(?) Ibook. Always has done. The powerbook screen does get brighter as it gets warmer, after 20 mins of use it's much better but it's always had a dim screen. Behold, ibook and powerbook side by side. The ibook screen is only slightly blue and wahsed out, but its nicer overall:

http://www.users.on.net/~rodge/ibook/webImages/IMG_4819.JPG