PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Problem Powerbook G4 15"

greggy boy
14th June 2005, 03:33 PM
Hi,

I have a 15" G4 Powerbook purchased about 6 months ago, now running OSX Tiger (upgraded from Panther 2 weeks ago)

When running Panther I was getting an intermittent problem of the system crashing with the black message "You need to restart your computer etc". This was generally after prolonged use whilst running quite a few apps concurrently. I noticed that the unit was always very hot in this situation and put it down to occasional overheating.

Since upgrading to Tiger however the unit seems to heat up in no time and I am getting much more frequent crashing along with the clicking hard drive problem reported by a couple of other forum members.

I have checked the battery serial # by the way and I am not on the recall list ;-)

Anybody else had a general problem with overheating Powerbooks and noticed its worse with Tiger?

Also, what is the best way to get it serviced? I bought it from Next Byte in Sydney city but their Customer Service is not the best. Are there other options than returning it to the place purchased?

Thanks

iSlayer
14th June 2005, 03:37 PM
what surface are you using it on ?

greggy boy
14th June 2005, 03:41 PM
Usually table top - hard flat surface so shouldn't be overheating the way it does.

Disko
14th June 2005, 03:44 PM
If a reinstall doesn't fix it, take it back to where you bought it (or an authorised service center) and tell them you're getting Kernel Panics and its overheating. Its withing warranty still, so they should be able to tell you what is going wrong.

Squozen
14th June 2005, 03:51 PM
Sounds to me like a runaway task is chewing up CPU cycles and you also have a dead fan or fan control circuit. I agree that it should be taken in for service ASAP. Back up your personal data as well in case the HD is getting heated beyond spec.

chrism238
14th June 2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by greggy boy@Jun 14 2005, 01:33 PM
Since upgrading to Tiger however the unit seems to heat up in no time and I am getting much more frequent crashing along with the clicking hard drive problem reported by a couple of other forum members.

I have checked the battery serial # by the way and I am not on the recall list ;-)

Anybody else had a general problem with overheating Powerbooks and noticed its worse with Tiger?

I am starting to see all of these problems, too, after upgrading to 10.4.1. I'm using my 14 month old 15inch on either glass or wood surfaces, as I always have been, but these symptoms have commenced since the last update. :angry: Laptop is now too hot to use on my lap.

mvjs
14th June 2005, 04:04 PM
If you want to determine the core processor tempreture, use Temperture Moniter, (cant remeber the URL, just google it). My Mac Mini, gets VERY hot after a while. From 30 degrees celcius at start up, right up to 46 degrees after a few hours

jerrah
14th June 2005, 04:04 PM
My work 15" (1.67) was running hot and had a spectacular kernel panic the first few days I was using it. Reinstalling Panther didn't help, but then I did a fresh install of Tiger and it now runs cool and has been stable since.

jerrah
14th June 2005, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jun 14 2005, 04:04 PM
right up to 46 degrees after a few hours
46c isn't all that hot, I've had my mini (1.42) upto 60ish, the fans really howl and it's not so quiet anymore. :) It's typical for laptops to be able to handle fairly high temperatures, and I wouldn't consider below 50 to be anywhere near a problem.

mvjs
14th June 2005, 04:10 PM
Well I would consider, if my computer was 60 degrees celcius, I would be straigt on to Apple! (In my view) :)

applecollector
14th June 2005, 04:25 PM
carlow1 and i have the same problem as well, thanks to carlow1 telling me the only way to fix theOS X crashing thing is to uninstall the 10.4.1 update!
i still have the 10.4.1 update on my emac and it could die any minute! :-(
Hope this helps!

We think the reason it crashes is because of heat issues!
Please PM me if you suffer from this problem so far i know of 4 people including me!

pipsqeek
14th June 2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jun 14 2005, 04:10 PM
Well I would consider, if my computer was 60 degrees celcius, I would be straigt on to Apple! (In my view) :)
Then they'd probably laugh at you as you leave the shop.

Most Mac's sit on or around 45-80 degrees. Its nothing unusual.

You have to realise that they are built to handle that.

A forum member encodes Digital video. His Dual CPU G5 sits on 80C.

My Dual G5 sits on 50 when emailing and surfing the net. Getting it to 70 is pretty easy.

My G4 iBook sits on 50 as well, and can get up to 65C.

This just goes to show that Pentiums, and AMD's from the past need not some 50 fan and scrap piece of heatsink blowing a gail and sounding like a tornado to control their temps.

You're view is wrong. Change it.

mvjs
14th June 2005, 05:20 PM
I think I have a right to an opinion, Pipsqueak :o Many people share my view including Leo Laporte, a huge computer player, and host of a tech show. "If my computer was at 60c I would be pretty woried"

I dont think you should say I should change my opinion :( I think the mods would agree

collin
18th June 2005, 06:03 PM
i have added 4 felt stick on's to the corners of my G4 15 and put the front pads on the plastic end caps of 35mm film canisters while using it on the desk andit runs heaps cooler. In normal config there is not enuff airspace under the laptop to use the heat dissapating abilities of the underside of the unit - imho B)

Ozi
18th June 2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jun 14 2005, 04:10 PM
Well if my grammar and spelling was like yours, I would go straight back to school! :lol:

My powerbook gets up to 63C and the fan kicks in to hold it at that no problems. It has never had a kernel panic related to heat though. I suggest that if you check the top applications running, you may discover one chewing up far more % of your CPU than it should. :)

~Ozi

josh64
18th June 2005, 08:55 PM
Indeed,

from http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/p...p?code=MPC7447A (http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC7447A)

Junction Operating Temperature (Max) (oC) 105

Kildare
18th June 2005, 09:14 PM
Pretty low wattage though according to that - however the die size is fairly small.
Some off the higher end Pentium IV based CPUs put out ~100W! :blink:

mbd
18th June 2005, 10:57 PM
Sometimes the handling of fans etc can be fixed by resetting the PMU - check Apple's support site for instructions on how to do this. I'd also suggest that if you're seeing hangs/kernel panics that you have a look in the console logs to see if anything unsual is being reported.

overway
18th June 2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Jun 18 2005, 06:50 PM
My powerbook gets up to 63C and the fan kicks in to hold it at that no problems.
I agree. I've never seen my PowerBook go over 63C. If it gets higher than this maybe there is a problem.

yinyang
19th June 2005, 12:41 AM
usually for me the fan kicks in at around 62C until it gets back to sub-60, but i have never seen my powerbook go over 63.

anyway with temperature monitor and activity monitor both on i can usually track down what's the culprit (usually an MS office app...!? ;))

Currawong
19th June 2005, 09:56 AM
I noticed that kernel panics were mentioned - the white text on black. It sounds seriously like either your RAM needs to be re-seated or the RAM is faulty. Try removing your RAM, putting it back in, then see if the problem occurs again. If it does, then very likely at least one of your sticks of RAM is stuffed.

greggy boy
20th June 2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the responses.

Things I have done since my original post:

1) Installed the temp monitor app - the processor temp was indeed peaking at around 62-63C. Regardless of the "what's normal running temp" debate I consider this not normal, or at least not a desirable day to day situation

2) Ran the power down completely a couple of times to recalibrate the battery (saw a separate posting on this so thought worth a try) and

3) Re-installed OSX 10.4.

Although I was dubious as to how this would make any difference it appears that it has (at least either step 2 or 3 or both but I suspect 3). The CPU is now reaching a max of just 43C doing the same work with the unit resting on the same surfaces.

So I suspect the problem could well have been a rogue app chewing up the CPU as some of you suggested - I am now using the Activity Monitor to pick this up if it happens again.

I've also noted the many comments on the possibility of badly fitted RAM causing the overheat - I did have extra 512K installed by Next Byte when I purchased so if the problem starts to occur again I'll take it in and have it checked.

Thanks again for the posts :-)