PDA

View Full Version : Status of Ration

ausdan
4th June 2009, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I have been waiting ages for Ration to be updated and to include the ability to monitor Bigpond accounts. Is Ration still being developed and can we expect to see Bigpond compatibility anytime soon?

Thanks,
ausdan

leon
4th June 2009, 11:20 PM
The ball is in Jedda's court. Haven't seen him post on here since the great 6GB RAM in a Macbook Pro fiasco last year. I think he lurks around here though from time to time.

decryption
4th June 2009, 11:22 PM
Jedda is a busy man - every time we arrange to have him on the podcast, something comes up (or he just doesn't love me anymore :( )

marc
4th June 2009, 11:38 PM
Jedda rocks!

Would be good to see him on MacTalk more. We miss you Jedda.

resonance
4th June 2009, 11:55 PM
yeh it'd be good to get some kind of update. I can't get mine to install anymore on 10.5.7 machines..
Love the software though

leon
5th June 2009, 07:52 AM
FWIW Ration runs fine on all my machines, even with 10.5.7

ziggotron
7th June 2009, 10:46 PM
Still waiting on Bigpond support, I love the look and feel of Ration.. I just can't use it yet. :(

Aladdin
7th June 2009, 10:50 PM
Still waiting on Bigpond support, I love the look and feel of Ration.. I just can't use it yet. :(

Change your ISP to a supported one - and bingo!!

(Mountain and Mohammad problem).

ziggotron
7th June 2009, 11:18 PM
Maybe I should.. the idea of switching seems too much of a hassle right now.

I'd really, really, really love to use this app.. I mean they promised Bigpond support like over a year ago.

wilco440
11th June 2009, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know how to change ISP plugins for Ration? Or even where to find 'em?

I'm in the process of changing from Optus to iiNet, but all I can find is my old Optus plugin.

Works wonderfully, but not much good for iiNet usage.

farscape
12th June 2009, 08:44 AM
Hi wilco440

The way I found to change the plug-in is to uninstall and reinstall ration and you can then pick your new plug-in but this may not work at the moment. it looks like there may problem with 10.5.7 and ration when it tries to down load the plug-in it crashes hopefully there may be an update

thebookfreak58
12th June 2009, 08:51 AM
Hi wilco440

The way I found to change the plug-in is to uninstall and reinstall ration and you can then pick your new plug-in but this may not work at the moment. it looks like there may problem with 10.5.7 and ration when it tries to down load the plug-in it crashes hopefully there may be an update

This is happening to me too.

Mecha
15th June 2009, 01:25 AM
Update was released just moments ago. Click update and see if it sorts out your issue.

DeanCorp
15th June 2009, 01:54 AM
Update was released just moments ago. Click update and see if it sorts out your issue.

OptusNet still does not work NaN%

im.deano
15th June 2009, 03:40 PM
Yes bigpond support would be nice!

Beau
15th June 2009, 09:22 PM
+1 BigPond.

queraxus
2nd August 2009, 03:46 PM
With such a small % of ISPs covered, and seemingly no updates for new ISPs in coming up to a year since release, this has to be one of the most over-hyped and under delivering bits of software in a long time.

ausdan
2nd August 2009, 04:02 PM
With such a small % of ISPs covered, and seemingly no updates for new ISPs in coming up to a year since release, this has to be one of the most over-hyped and under delivering bits of software in a long time.

I agree, queraxus. Being a Bigpond Cable customer, I was hoping Ration would become my usage meter of choice since the tragic passing of macpomme earlier this year. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this programme is going to deliver. Sometimes I wish I could code programmes myself

maghemi
2nd August 2009, 09:13 PM
Works wonderfully here with both Optus and TPG.

Maybe just move to one of those ISP's :p

Mecha
3rd August 2009, 12:34 AM

Did you donate any money?

wilco440
3rd August 2009, 07:41 AM
I still can't use Ration to supply me with usage of my new ISP. Every time I go to the website, even signing up as a new user with a completely new account, I always finish up with the Optus plug-in, which ain't much use to me now that I'm with iiNet.

Pity, because Ration was sooooo useful when it worked.....

colin

queraxus
3rd August 2009, 06:07 PM
Did you donate any money?

To a product I can't yet use? Do you apply that same appalling logic with all your spending?

Mecha
3rd August 2009, 06:46 PM
To a product I can't yet use? Do you apply that same appalling logic with all your spending?

Mate your kidding yourself.
You come on here having a crack at the developers of Ration like they owe you something.

Its free software bud. If it doesn't work for you then send an email to the developer but don't come on here and slam them because their free beta software isn't loading for you.

iCameron
3rd August 2009, 08:01 PM
this has to be one of the most over-hyped and under delivering bits of software in a long time.

Look, as much as this guy has no right to stab at the developers, he is correct.

On a harsh note: It does speak about the people developing it when they overpromise and underdeliver.

Lighter note: I remember hearing alot of hype around Ration and all it's great cool features, however it seems to have been dropped completely. Very sad, but other (more important) things have most likely came up. I would have loved to install this program and the hype really did make it seem like a fantastic application that i would have gladly paid money for.

Sadly this is just how it is, some things work out, some things don't. Ration is one of those that didn't work out. If you currently use it and it works for you, Hoooray! If not get over it. There's no point beating a dead horse.

queraxus
3rd August 2009, 10:58 PM
Mate your kidding yourself.
You come on here having a crack at the developers of Ration like they owe you something.

Its free software bud. If it doesn't work for you then send an email to the developer but don't come on here and slam them because their free beta software isn't loading for you.

You're the one kidding yourself.

And who the hell is the developer to be above criticism? Get off your high horse.

ajd
20th August 2009, 12:03 PM
Just a heads up for TPG customers .. Ration support is now dead.

They've changed the layout of their account usage page which has broken what I presume was the screen scraper that Ration was using.

TPG was annoying enough since they only update your usage details daily and Ration was a great way to keep tabs on it.

My only hope is that the Ration project isn't dead forever and that an update, for the TPG plugin at least, can be released.

I'll have to look for another solution I guess ...

PS: I have logged this as a bug through the built-in bug submitter.
PPS: I have donated.

update: I just tried LaunchTPG but it looks like it's suffereing the same screen scraping problem as Ration does so no go ... Looks like all I can do is log in every day and calculate my usage manually if I feel the need to be pedantic! :frustrating:

BiRDBRAiN
20th August 2009, 01:02 PM
I lodged a bug report as well.

Will wait patiently. Currently stuck using the Firefox browser plug-in to keep tabs on my leeching :D

ajd
20th August 2009, 03:34 PM
Firefox Internet Usage Extension (http://netusage.iau5.com/) seems to be still working with TPG! :)

Thanks to BiRDBRAiN for the tip!

Japester
20th August 2009, 04:04 PM
I'm resorting to the excellent iPhone app "Phone Usage", which reports usage for TPG. It was broken for a while (I presume the same cause) but it's fixed now. Great app that I refer to every day.

bigmouth
20th August 2009, 07:21 PM
That's a shame about TPG not working with Ration.....i ain't changing providers any time soon, hopefully it'll get fixed, i'm already at 60% !

novice
21st August 2009, 01:08 PM
Rations is a great app. On the other side of the coin, why can't TPG provide a usage meter? Why do they make it so difficult compared to other provides to easily view and monitor usage?

I've been with them a long time and i do like the performance and support (generally) but this should be a standard service by all ISP compaies these days....It's like buying a car and not getting a CD player!

Seon
21st August 2009, 02:44 PM
Hmm... I have been wondering why ration kept saying it could not connect to my TPG account!

bondi37
28th August 2009, 09:37 AM
I am a TPG user who's version of Ration no longer works. i have donated and sent a bug report. Hope Jedda is holding out for Snow Leopard. Otherwise I will be another very disappointed user.

ajd
28th August 2009, 10:21 AM
Rations is a great app. On the other side of the coin, why can't TPG provide a usage meter? Why do they make it so difficult compared to other provides to easily view and monitor usage?

TPG's monitoring of your (our) usage is barely adequate. I've hit the 20% remaining threshold before and received and email within the hour yet my usage stats didn't reflect my actual use until the next day!

I really miss the hour by hour REALTIME graphs that Netspace provided. That made it really easy to identify which of my activities during the day was the culprit ;)

Unfortunately even though their monitoring is sub-standard and their support desk just seem to go through a script for troubleshooting it's their plans that drew me in.</rant>

... back to Ration. I'll gladly go back to using it, especially if custom notifications are enabled :)

In the interim I've ended up writing myself a script that scrapes the data and displays my stats on my browsers homepage. I've got some nifty ideas on additional enhancements like integrating with Twitter (sending me a dm every day) so it's turing into a fun little project anyway!

zigzagler
28th August 2009, 02:59 PM
Both my ration and iiQuota are not working with TPG as it keeps saying my username and password are invalid!!! It's so annoying as I can log into my Acc in TPG website!

Tried redownload n reinstall...

bondi37
4th September 2009, 02:16 PM
This is a link for a widget that I found that works with TPG. TPG Usage Meter (http://tum.bebetech.com/)
Not as convenient as having something in the menu bar but better than nothing.

Enjoy!

BiRDBRAiN
4th September 2009, 05:13 PM
Both my ration and iiQuota are not working with TPG as it keeps saying my username and password are invalid!!! It's so annoying as I can log into my Acc in TPG website!

Tried redownload n reinstall...

TPG has made a change to their authentication and stat page layout, which has broken any programs that haven't updated to this new format/layout.

bubble
4th September 2009, 05:19 PM
Every other usage program I could find that offers TPG support has been updated in since this change and now works.
I guess kitchens take ages to install?

El Guardo
4th September 2009, 08:32 PM
Does Jedda still exist?

matthew858
4th September 2009, 08:46 PM
He does, but he's way too busy to do anything, and it has been like this for the past year. I wouldn't bother about Ration anymore if something is broken, or you want something added.

grfxninja
4th September 2009, 08:54 PM
Sadly I have given up on ration :(

here's hoping that Jedda gets a chance to get back into development on this invaluable app

maghemi
25th September 2009, 06:14 PM
Is there any news on if there is going to be any more work on this program? I'm really happy with it personally as I'm with Optus. It worked perfectly on Leopard. But it's not quite perfect in SL.

Al Aero
25th September 2009, 06:32 PM
I spoke with Jedda last week and i got the vibe that ration is dead..

had such potential..

marc
25th September 2009, 06:36 PM
had such potential..
Sure did.

Cut down before it had a chance to flourish. We'll miss ya, crazy kid. RIP Ration.

DJY
26th September 2009, 02:13 PM
Is a shame indeed...
thankfully though - it is still working for me on my MBA with Snow Leopard!

mab
26th September 2009, 02:19 PM
I spoke with Jedda last week and i got the vibe that ration is dead..

had such potential..

Any chance that he will open source it?

ausdan
26th September 2009, 04:59 PM
So with not much chance that Ration will contain, what are people using as a usage meter for Telstra Bigpond?

marc
26th September 2009, 05:32 PM
So with not much chance that Ration will contain, what are people using as a usage meter for Telstra Bigpond?
I'm using a beta of the Bjango usage iPhone app (Voda/iiNet combo) ;)

Seon
26th September 2009, 05:54 PM

Your such a tease!

matthew858
26th September 2009, 05:59 PM

And porting it to the Mac would be ace, possibly as a part of iStat?

maghemi
27th September 2009, 10:55 AM
My copy has just told me it needed to re-register. This is what I got

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7646/licenserenewed.jpg

Is this a standard thing or is there actually a private beta program? I can't seem to find any info

LennyX
16th November 2009, 02:36 PM
Ration is back!

Mine just popped up with an update 5 mins ago. It doesn't require a serial number or registration any more which is something that really confused me about a free (well, permanently beta..) app. I'm much more likely to donate now that it looks like development is continuing :)

DeanCorp
17th November 2009, 07:13 AM
Has anyone managed to get this to work with Optusnet? It keeps saying my password is incorrect.

- - e r i k - -
16th August 2010, 08:03 PM
I changed computers and now Ration isn't working anymore. The process will run but nothing shows up in the menu bar. Tried cleaning out both application support and preference to no avail. Help?

Jaali
1st April 2011, 03:41 PM
What is going on with Ration? The website (http://www.blargsoft.com/ration/) is all funky... Jedda, are you there to shed any light for us?

paronga
2nd August 2011, 02:36 PM
for about a month and a half the optus plugin has been bust.
Sent and e-mail and a report thing using in app tools.

Still seems dead.
God damn it was such a good utility!~!!!~~!~!~!

DeanCorp
20th October 2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah it was an awesome app! such a shame they ditched it!

Jedda
12th March 2012, 11:00 AM
Ration is back! Sorry for the super long hiatus - i've been doing other stuff.

Grab the latest update, and let me know if you have any issues!

tcn33
12th March 2012, 11:42 AM
Crashes at launch on Mountain Lion.

Exception Name: NSInvalidArgumentException
Description: *** -[__NSCFString stringByAppendingString:]: nil argument
User Info: (null)

0 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8d66cf06 __exceptionPreprocess + 198
1 libobjc.A.dylib 0x00007fff979c279a objc_exception_throw + 43
2 CoreFoundation 0x00007fff8d66ccdc +[NSException raise:format:] + 204
3 Foundation 0x00007fff8da452f8 -[NSString stringByAppendingString:] + 90
4 Ration 0x0000000100002ca2 -[MenuController hoverHTMLWithData:plugin:] + 48
5 Ration 0x0000000100001b0d -[MenuController updateHoverViewFrame] + 638
6 Ration 0x0000000100002551 -[MenuController showHoverView] + 92
7 AppKit 0x00007fff94bdcc22 -[NSApplication sendEvent:] + 5460
8 AppKit 0x00007fff94b7a34a -[NSApplication run] + 636
9 AppKit 0x00007fff94deb78b NSApplicationMain + 869
10 Ration 0x00000001000015e4 start + 52
11 ??? 0x0000000000000002 0x0 + 2

Nice to see Ration back btw :)

Ava3
12th March 2012, 05:23 PM
Rotation was finally updated today, if anybody out there is still interested in it

lama323
12th March 2012, 05:52 PM
Rotation was finally updated today, if anybody out there is still interested in it

Rotation?

rav3n
12th March 2012, 06:16 PM
Typo- think he means ration

lama323
12th March 2012, 07:17 PM
Typo- think he means ration

Sorry! clicked first un-read, bit bamboozled!

On a side note, is a plug in for telstra on its way?

Alec Fraser
12th March 2012, 08:39 PM
To be honest I've moved on from Ration. Its been dead for too long and Consume does everything I need.

bubble
16th January 2013, 04:38 PM
ISPs still have limits that need to be monitored?

rav3n
16th January 2013, 05:26 PM
ISPs still have limits that need to be monitored?

Which rock have you been living under

bubble
16th January 2013, 05:27 PM
The unlimited data allowance rock. You?

tcn33
16th January 2013, 06:34 PM
The decent customer service and contention ratio rock.

kyte
20th January 2013, 10:54 AM
The decent customer service and contention ratio rock. Oh WHY havent we got a "like" button on the forum. This deserves it, many times over. :)

nibbles
20th January 2013, 04:24 PM
No but there is a rate this thread thing at the top of the page, no idea what it does. Feel free to push it.

Peter Wells
20th January 2013, 05:12 PM
Oh that's right, I was going to install a god damn like button... There's always down thing to do round here... :)

woofy
7th February 2013, 11:27 AM
Just the usual like button will do, or maybe a "hell yes" one...