PDA

View Full Version : Ext Hd Not Recognised Unless Thru Xp Laptop

amni
14th June 2005, 03:00 PM
I am wondering why when I pug in my ext HD (NTFS) that it is not read on Mac Mini , but when I plug it into my XP laptop and share can read from laptop to Mini?

Disko
14th June 2005, 03:04 PM
because it is NTFS - a windows only file system. If you format it to Fat32, OSX and windows will be able to read and write to it.

pipsqeek
14th June 2005, 03:04 PM
You should be able to read it. But you probably won't be able to write to it.

NTFS was supposedly designed by M$ to make it more secure. Because no other disk format could write to it.

If it were formatted as FAT32, then it would not be an issue.

I think I am right in saying this. Unless Tiger has made it so you can read NTFS. That's assuming you are running Tiger.

pipsqeek

purana
14th June 2005, 03:42 PM
NTFS can be read on Tiger and Panther.
NTFS cannot be written to on Tiger or Panther (not yet anyways).

Squozen
14th June 2005, 03:48 PM
No OS besides Windows can write to NTFS. Linux/BSD have 'experimental' read support which may or may not break with certain advanced features in NTFS. I wouldn't trust OS X with an NTFS partition myself.

dopus
14th June 2005, 04:27 PM
Also, when you convert it back to Fat32 don't let XP write a disk signature to it (it usually ask's the first time yu connect the new drive).

This can also make access via a Mac difficult

Quamen
14th June 2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by amni@Jun 14 2005, 03:00 PM
I am wondering why when I pug in my ext HD (NTFS) that it is not read on Mac Mini , but when I plug it into my XP laptop and share can read from laptop to Mini?
As others have said NTFS is a windows file system and can only be read by other operating systems and not written to, at least not written to with 100% accuracy.

The reason you can read the drive when it is shared over your windows laptop is because your mini is not actually accessing the drive. It is using the windows machine to access the drive over the network. Your mini does no reading/writing to the drive, the windows machine does all of that and tells your mini over the network what it has seen/done etc. Hope that makes sense.