PDA

View Full Version : MBP 15" for gaming

mjw88
4th June 2009, 12:29 PM
First of all, I would just like to say that I am not buying my MBP primarily to play games on, but I do travel a fair bit so I would just like to know how it shapes up.

I am looking at the upper 15" MBP, the one with 4GB Memory and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB. Is this a capable gaming machine? More specifically, this may be a hard question to answer, but how would it compare to a PC with a 4850 graphics card / 2 gb ram / intel 2 6600?

If anyone has any first hand experience with gaming on this machine please let me know!

grorr76
4th June 2009, 02:27 PM
get a windows machine mac's arnt worth it for games, just not the selection, and your paying a premium for a mac anyway.

dche5390
4th June 2009, 02:58 PM
Light gaming, the MBP is fine. Certainly will need the mains power plugged in otherwise juice runs out quicksmart.

Perhaps tone down the graphics for the newer more GPU intensive games, and you'll still have fun.

Speaking from personal experience via boot camp XP.

The MBP will get rather toasty however...

Oh, a PC with a dedicated GPU will wipe the floor with anything that has a integrated graphics card such as all MBP (or any PC notebook equivalent). That is just the sad truth. And since you're comparing a quad core processor to a c2d, it just aint a fair comparison.

mjw88
5th June 2009, 05:21 PM
get a windows machine mac's arnt worth it for games,

As i said in the first sentence of my post, I am not buying the machine to game on. I know there are better laptops for this purpose. I just want to know how this one performs.

Oh, a PC with a dedicated GPU will wipe the floor with anything that has a integrated graphics card such as all MBP

I thought the new MBP had two graphics cards, one which was dedicated when in high performance mode?

Snow Leopard
5th June 2009, 05:36 PM
the macbook pro performs fabulous. if i were you, i would save some money, and get an older 15" macbook pro. i just got a 2 gen old macbook pro 15" and it is great for games. would do that if i were you.

mjw88
5th June 2009, 06:14 PM
the macbook pro performs fabulous. if i were you, i would save some money, and get an older 15" macbook pro. i just got a 2 gen old macbook pro 15" and it is great for games. would do that if i were you.

Ah cool :). What kind of games do you generally play / what settings?