PDA

View Full Version : Are you still saving your screen?

shivstar
4th June 2009, 10:17 AM
I was thinking of ways to make the battery on my MBP a bit more efficient and it occurred to me that I have a screen saver at 5 mins, and then display sleep in 10... but why? I guess over the years it has become the norm to config the screen saver when you get a new machine (ah, the good old CRT days). But with all my screens being LCD it seems quite redundant to have a screen saver - apart from the entertainment factor I guess.

Do you still use a screen saver?
What do you use?

Side note: I now just have the display just sleep after 5 mins and have no screen saver - "making my macbook the greenest macbook ever" :p

NeoRicen
4th June 2009, 10:55 AM
When on battery power I have the display set to turn off after 2 minutes and sleep after 10 minutes. When I'm plugged in the display tends to be on 24/7, no screensaver, no sleep.

dekco
4th June 2009, 11:00 AM
as above, tho sometimes it is abit annoying, since in a lecture, you have to keep moving the trackpad to keep the mbp active.

mitty
4th June 2009, 11:02 AM
No screensaver (I probably should find one funky one, but if it's cool and 3D like it tends to make the machine run hotter ironically!). Display off 2 minutes when on battery, ten minutes on power.

brian_g
4th June 2009, 11:39 AM
Old enough to remember the arcade machines at local corner stores that were on so long the home screen image was burnt in even when they were switched off :p

I had burn in on my 24" iMac - I didn't know LCDs got that. I leave it on for long periods and had the screen saver set to a high value (I'm lazy) and one day I noticed that that the screen for Awaken was burnt in.

I read on an Apple tech note (I think) to set the screensaver to a white background at high brightness, after a few days the problem had cleared.

Now I set a screensaver and display sleep....

The_Hawk
4th June 2009, 01:11 PM
Force of habit to have screen saver -> off, although I never actually used sleep mode. I'm either using the machine or it's off (the server on the other hand runs 24/7 headless).

I have often thought that the screen saver is now redundant with near zero wake up time for LCD's and little chance of burn in.

NeoRicen
4th June 2009, 01:22 PM
What exactly is (or was) the point of screensavers? Apart from distracting students when used on a classroom computer. Makes more sense to just turn the screen off when not in use.

brian_g
4th June 2009, 02:22 PM
Before screens had the 'sleep' facility and were either on or off, with a longer wake time.

Plus - you could watch pretty toasters fly across the screen.

Some of the screensavers that utilise iphoto images are cool - I use these when showing off the mac ;-)