PDA

View Full Version : What HD TV with MBA?

Albert_Thurgood
3rd June 2009, 07:59 PM
So I am finally considering updating our 20 year old 20" CRT TV.

In the best of worlds, we could get a HDTV that could double as a monitor for the MBA, wirelessly of course. (I don't want to trail a 3m cable from the couch to the MBA).

I suppose we are not there yet, but are there any TVs that could do this? If not, what is the best option? Wireless via macmini? All advice greatly appreciated!

NeoRicen
3rd June 2009, 08:25 PM
As far as I know there is no way to get a Macs display to an HDTV wirelessly.

Well, there probably is, but it's likely to be standard definition and require a some sort of dongle/transmitter attached to the MacBook Air and the TV.

The next best option would be via HDMI and a Mini DisplayPort (or micro DVI) to HDMI adapter, and just hide the cord behind the TV, and whip it around and plug it in to your Mac when you want to.

Sebastianmonty
3rd June 2009, 11:41 PM
I looked into all these things a while ago. I had 2 new iMacs side by side and would use the second mac as a screen for the first. The program did it but was super slow. You can't watch 25fps tv episode. It would be 5fps if that.
No way to do it to my knowledge. You could screen share the macmini and pull up what you want to play on the tv. However it is better to just get a HDMI cable and have something that works well.

pengu
4th June 2009, 12:23 AM
So I am finally considering updating our 20 year old 20" CRT TV.

In the best of worlds, we could get a HDTV that could double as a monitor for the MBA, wirelessly of course. (I don't want to trail a 3m cable from the couch to the MBA).

I suppose we are not there yet, but are there any TVs that could do this? If not, what is the best option? Wireless via macmini? All advice greatly appreciated!

when you say monitor, you just mean you want to watch movies/etc from your mac on the tv right?

If not, remember that even "Full HD" screens are quite low res compared to a computer monitor, when you take the panel size into consideration. As such they are generally just not usable for normal computer use. the biggest issue is generally text display.