PDA

View Full Version : Apple Internet Cafe?

Lucas
17th June 2004, 08:19 PM
Hi guys
I run (own) an internet cafe on Brisbane's Northside. At the moment we are all PC. I flirted with old imacs (coloured 333mhz) but they didn't work very well under OSX10.1 or 2 (can't remember) so I resold them on ebay. What I am wondering is are there large scale (15+ computers) Apple net cafes anywhere in OZ? We currently have 22 computers but I want to ad more and would like to speak to someone before I plonk down tens of thousands on new systems.

People say I am crazy for wanting to add Apples to the mix but I've had a look at the software (games) and all bar one of our games are available on Mac. (damn you valve and Half Life:CounterStrike)

Any advice or comments on cafes would be most appreciated?

decryption
17th June 2004, 08:28 PM
Well, Mac OS X Server, and Apple Remote Desktop are top quality tools that would make your life much easier.

I personally haven't seen any Mac based netcafe's. However, it does sound like a pretty cool idea ;)

LCGuy
17th June 2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jun 17 2004, 08:19 PM
I flirted with old imacs (coloured 333mhz) but they didn't work very well under OSX10.1 or 2 (can't remember) so I resold them on ebay.
Probably 10.1. I have 10.2 on my iMac 333 and it runs like a dream. :D

Disko
17th June 2004, 09:15 PM
most of the net cafes in adelaide used to have macs. now they only have 1 or 2. So yeah.. i'm probably not much help.

Lucas
17th June 2004, 10:40 PM
The only Apple net cafe I know of is in the San Fran Apple mega store. - I would love to see what was more popular with people a slick imac or a "safe" PC. Now to get Apple to loan me some 17inch imacs (in dreams). When I add the macs Ill update you with how they go.

I use my G4 ibook on the work network and its a breeze (my fear was it would be a nightmare). So I definately see some imacs soon

Currawong
18th June 2004, 08:01 PM
There used to be an all iMac internet cafe in Melbourne, I think on Elizabeth St but I could be wrong, and this was a decade ago...

For games, you'd have to be conscious of the video card in the machines you bought. The latest eMacs or iMacs would only be basically viable for that.

Lucas
18th June 2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jun 18 2004, 08:01 PM
For games, you'd have to be conscious of the video card in the machines you bought. The latest eMacs or iMacs would only be basically viable for that.
I will always have to have PCs because of Half Life and Counter Strike - "my bread and butter". I listed below all our games and the only one missing from the mac was Half Life. I would probably have to customise the imacs with a better graphics card but then again we run ti4200s now and there fine. Now to wait for a G5 Imac

War Craft III + Frozen Throne
Medal of Honor : Allied Assault
Soldier of Fortune : Double Helix
Americas Army
Battlefield 1942 "Coming Soon"
Battlefield Vietnam "Probably coming soon"
Age of mythology
Quake III
Unreal Tournament 2004
Halo

Half-life is the only one missing

Ozi
18th June 2004, 10:46 PM
yeah and CS is old now: AA and battlefield are the new thing. :)

Currawong
19th June 2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jun 18 2004, 09:35 PM
I will always have to have PCs because of Half Life and Counter Strike - "my bread and butter". I listed below all our games and the only one missing from the mac was Half Life. I would probably have to customise the imacs with a better graphics card but then again we run ti4200s now and there fine. Now to wait for a G5 Imac

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the video cards in iMacs.

I hate to say it, but as most games were designed to run on PC's before Macs, they tend to run much better on a PC. Mind you, if the Mac versions can be made dual-processor aware and you can afford a few G5's with Radeon 9700's...you'd be laughing.

Lucas
19th June 2004, 09:00 AM
hehhehe yep dual 2.5ghz G5s all round with 23inch cinema displays. Nah I am not to worried about there gaming performance.

*hehhheeh I was just thinking though even a dual 2.5ghz G5 would probably still need 8 gig of RAM to run BF1942 load fast

frenchtoast
31st October 2004, 05:40 PM
I found one today, in Smith St, Fitzroy (its on the fitzroy side not the collingwood side). Can't remember the name of it but the number is something like 121. It is expensive though, $3 connection fee and $4.50 per hour and for wireless, $5 connection fee, $7.50 per hour.
Wasn't open today but could see they were using G3 imacs and i also noticed an on lcd cinema display in there.

elvis
2nd November 2004, 06:31 AM
Slashdot have an article up about the Mac gaming situation:

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/11/01/1...l?tid=127&tid=3 (http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/11/01/1236215.shtml?tid=127&tid=3)

As I keep saying, MAME runs on any platform. Why would you play modern games when the classics are so much better? :P

Atomic
2nd November 2004, 08:20 AM
I second the MAME recommendation - lately I've been a bit of a Galaga whore ^_^